What's new

Bringing out the blueberries

iStruggle

Blueberry plants are looking killer, very frosty! It even looks like a blueberry, similar look to the DC x Blueberry, glad it carried thorugh. Love the purple calyxes on purple leaves background, looks like a blueberry fruit! Mine even have a smell similar to blueberry! What is the smell like on those? :smoke:

Hey! Thanks!

When they first started giving off the smell its was your general generic sweet/fruity smells.
Over the past couple weeks theyve started really smelling like berries, with one giving off a cheesy note as well

We’ve had some very cold temperatures for this time of year and its really showing in the leaves. Got so cold a couple of nights i thought they were done for. Warmed back up but i think that stopped the bulk right in its tracks. Theyre very dense but only one plant giving off significant size

This is only my second grow, but it seems to me that F5’s dont really do the best outdoors, if some more experienced growers would give their opinion that would be appreciated. They just dont seem to have the vigor, and are much more finnicky when it comes to feeding, and are much more sensitive to the environment. Probably the hardest plants ive ever grown, but like i said, im fairly new to growing in general. Learning as i go. With that said im very excited to be harvesting soon, im thinking a couple of weeks

IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6523.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

IMG_6518.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

Wuachuma

Hey! Thanks!

When they first started giving off the smell its was your general generic sweet/fruity smells.
Over the past couple weeks theyve started really smelling like berries, with one giving off a cheesy note as well

We’ve had some very cold temperatures for this time of year and its really showing in the leaves. Got so cold a couple of nights i thought they were done for. Warmed back up but i think that stopped the bulk right in its tracks. Theyre very dense but only one plant giving off significant size

This is only my second grow, but it seems to me that F5’s dont really do the best outdoors, if some more experienced growers would give their opinion that would be appreciated. They just dont seem to have the vigor, and are much more finnicky when it comes to feeding, and are much more sensitive to the environment. Probably the hardest plants ive ever grown, but like i said, im fairly new to growing in general. Learning as i go. With that said im very excited to be harvesting soon, im thinking a couple of weeks

View attachment 18899553

View attachment 18899554

View attachment 18899555

View attachment 18899556

View attachment 18899557
Looks like a pretty good grow to me.
I don't think they would have bulked up much more without the cold. In fact, I love growing BB lines in colder and wetter climates as it keeps the monoterpenes around that make BB special.

BB and family are some of the toughest lines to grow, no doubt. Wild jungle sativa's are sensitive, but their vigor allows for even drastic hiccups. BB, however, claws with too much N, develops leaf spots with too much or too little P. She likes pH to be stable and doesn't like big swings in anything. A princess demanding to be pampered. But, she rewards like few other lines out there.
I think BB lines got a lot of bad rep back in the day because most people tried to grow her like NL or Skunk and overfed and generally neglected her sensitive needs. But connoisseurs and competent growers often list BB or her family in their Top 5

One lil trick I've learned is to water less but more often when any chill is coming. Water holds the cold in the roots and the plant will usually prefer to be a lil dry than have cold, wet feet.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Looks like a pretty good grow to me.
I don't think they would have bulked up much more without the cold. In fact, I love growing BB lines in colder and wetter climates as it keeps the monoterpenes around that make BB special.

BB and family are some of the toughest lines to grow, no doubt. Wild jungle sativa's are sensitive, but their vigor allows for even drastic hiccups. BB, however, claws with too much N, develops leaf spots with too much or too little P. She likes pH to be stable and doesn't like big swings in anything. A princess demanding to be pampered. But, she rewards like few other lines out there.
I think BB lines got a lot of bad rep back in the day because most people tried to grow her like NL or Skunk and overfed and generally neglected her sensitive needs. But connoisseurs and competent growers often list BB or her family in their Top 5

One lil trick I've learned is to water less but more often when any chill is coming. Water holds the cold in the roots and the plant will usually prefer to be a lil dry than have cold, wet feet.
I agree BB demands more attention than a Skunk who grow almost herself but I've seen many competent growers struggling with their BB despite giving the best care possible. I think there was something strange with this seed line, I don't know what caused the high numbers of mutants but they there wether you took good care of the plants or not.

Tynehead Tom

The Coastal Blueberry I am growing doesn't suffer the same demands nor does it grow mutants. Just strrong healthy robust and very hardy in the late season as I am experiencing now here at 52N at 3000ft elevation in the great white north ;)
These "grow themselves" ....... My plants are in a simple home made soil recipe taken from the old archives of tom hill posts on the original overgrow. I recycle and ammend it every season. I don't feed them anything but water from my well. I don't foilar spray or top dress..... just water, good soil and sunshine..... and the plants grow themselves. Best part is, these plants grow wonderful true blueberry in aroma and taste. Genetics began generations ago as Fraser Valley Blueberry Hashplant x Dr Atomic Northern Lights and are BX1 F3 seed lot.
These are all from a 20 seed pop that gave me 11 ladies to play with

2024-09-13 Garden pic 2 - Copy.jpg

kro-magnon

Veteran
The Coastal Blueberry I am growing doesn't suffer the same demands nor does it grow mutants. Just strrong healthy robust and very hardy in the late season as I am experiencing now here at 52N at 3000ft elevation in the great white north ;)
These "grow themselves" ....... My plants are in a simple home made soil recipe taken from the old archives of tom hill posts on the original overgrow. I recycle and ammend it every season. I don't feed them anything but water from my well. I don't foilar spray or top dress..... just water, good soil and sunshine..... and the plants grow themselves. Best part is, these plants grow wonderful true blueberry in aroma and taste. Genetics began generations ago as Fraser Valley Blueberry Hashplant x Dr Atomic Northern Lights and are BX1 F3 seed lot.
These are all from a 20 seed pop that gave me 11 ladies to play with

View attachment 19073616
I'm sure you did some work to get to this point of easiness to work with, I remember seeing many abominations in the grow diaries with BB in the 00's. Your plant here is looking healthy as a workhorse, she has some wonderful looking pistils, looking like a flame almost. I have not a lot of experience with BB but the few plants I've grown had a very strong berry smell mixed with many nuances, very enjoyable aromas and high. I understand why so many people love this genetic, there is some incredible individuals to find.

Tynehead Tom

I'm sure you did some work to get to this point of easiness to work with, I remember seeing many abominations in the grow diaries with BB in the 00's. Your plant here is looking healthy as a workhorse, she has some wonderful looking pistils, looking like a flame almost. I have not a lot of experience with BB but the few plants I've grown had a very strong berry smell mixed with many nuances, very enjoyable aromas and high. I understand why so many people love this genetic, there is some incredible individuals to find.
I originally got this line from former Icmag member Rykus .... back in 2018 or 2019?
The fraser valley blueberry has been around a long time...... basically from the 90's and some believe it evolved separate from the DJ lines. DNA testing might prove that out or not. Dr Atomic's Blueberry Northern Lights was very well received by growers back in the early 2000's. Rykus bred the two together down on the Sunshine Coast , British Columbia and worked the line to the first backcross to the fraser valley blueberry and then passed them to me to work with up here at 52N where I stuggle to find good plants that will survive past the end of September here. Usually I do light dep for my greenhouse crop but this year I took the gamble and filled the greenhouse with Blueberry trees :)

kro-magnon

Veteran
I originally got this line from former Icmag member Rykus .... back in 2018 or 2019?
The fraser valley blueberry has been around a long time...... basically from the 90's and some believe it evolved separate from the DJ lines. DNA testing might prove that out or not. Dr Atomic's Blueberry Northern Lights was very well received by growers back in the early 2000's. Rykus bred the two together down on the Sunshine Coast , British Columbia and worked the line to the first backcross to the fraser valley blueberry and then passed them to me to work with up here at 52N where I stuggle to find good plants that will survive past the end of September here. Usually I do light dep for my greenhouse crop but this year I took the gamble and filled the greenhouse with Blueberry trees :)
When do you expect to harvest them? It must bet get cold pretty early where you live so you need really strong genetics to be able to thrive and flower fast enough. I hope all will be good for you this year. In my country this year the outdoor growers had a very wet summer and autumn, the yield this year for the 100% outdoor growers won't be very good if they can harvest something. With a greenhouse it's a different storyof course but it's also a lot of work to keep the plants happy;

Tynehead Tom

I figure they have about 3 weeks left......
I'm just praying the real cold weather holds off till closer to end of october.
Getting chilly here though and well under 10C at night. Todays started out nice but it's only 14C and overcast.... rain expected. My greenhouse is more of a cold frame and is unheated so will be a gamble.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I figure they have about 3 weeks left......
I'm just praying the real cold weather holds off till closer to end of october.
Getting chilly here though and well under 10C at night. Todays started out nice but it's only 14C and overcast.... rain expected. My greenhouse is more of a cold frame and is unheated so will be a gamble.
I guess heated greenhouses are pretty useful in your area, the temps are already pretty low for the season, we are just at the beginning of autumn. Your plants look strong and healthy i'm sure they'll be able to go through a bit of cold if it's not too humid as well.
How is humidity in a greenhouse like yours, is it higher or lower than outside? I see you have some fans so the RH must be quite high.
I was growing outdoor at lat44N in France and the weather was getting really ugly in the first week of october usually, cold nights, a lot of rain and humidity with some hot afternoon when there was no clouds to hide the sun. It was the best environment to get mold in the biggest flowers of the season, I lost a bit of buds but with good strains it was OK. I've found the Skunk family was very resistant to mold specially if it was sativa dominant, the flowers were a bit more airy and it can be useful against botrytis. One of my Great White Shark was a mold magnet, her flowers were so dense if a drop of water was getting inside it would mold in a few hours, on a 8 main branches plant I lost 6 apex, I was really not happy about that.
With time I'm sure you know what can or can not be grown in your environment, you always take a bit of a gamble because you don't control the weather but you can control what genetics to grow and it makes a big difference in the end result.Good luck for those beautiful BlueBerry trees, the bud you've shown on the previous page is incredible with its flaming pistils.(y)🔥

OleReynard

You germinate the seeds straight in the ground? I have never seen this done yet, you don't lose too much of them to critters or animals this way?
When I was doing the outdoor thing back in the late 80's early 90's.
Used to precrack a bunch put them in a plastic case carefully and take off with a pencil.
I'd use the pencil to push me a hole and in would go a seed, already prerooted.
No stunting no animal dig ups picture perfect like it's supposed to be there. Critters are attracted to loose just dug up dirt, they're thinking another critter came by and buried a morsel for later.
A canine can get on a wind current or thermal and follow for a mile or better not to mention the sight attraction of fresh dug dirt.
And let's face it you stir in some fish fert with that oh man it's a Drive Inn.

kro-magnon

Veteran
When I was doing the outdoor thing back in the late 80's early 90's.
Used to precrack a bunch put them in a plastic case carefully and take off with a pencil.
I'd use the pencil to push me a hole and in would go a seed, already prerooted.
No stunting no animal dig ups picture perfect like it's supposed to be there. Critters are attracted to loose just dug up dirt, they're thinking another critter came by and buried a morsel for later.
A canine can get on a wind current or thermal and follow for a mile or better not to mention the sight attraction of fresh dug dirt.
And let's face it you stir in some fish fert with that oh man it's a Drive Inn.
I couldn't do that where I was growing outdoor, the seedlings would have been eaten by an army of snails, slugs, rabbits, deers, too much wild life and insects to make the seedlings straight in the ground. I'm surprised to see someone doing this.

Tynehead Tom

I guess heated greenhouses are pretty useful in your area, the temps are already pretty low for the season, we are just at the beginning of autumn. Your plants look strong and healthy i'm sure they'll be able to go through a bit of cold if it's not too humid as well.
How is humidity in a greenhouse like yours, is it higher or lower than outside? I see you have some fans so the RH must be quite high.
I was growing outdoor at lat44N in France and the weather was getting really ugly in the first week of october usually, cold nights, a lot of rain and humidity with some hot afternoon when there was no clouds to hide the sun. It was the best environment to get mold in the biggest flowers of the season, I lost a bit of buds but with good strains it was OK. I've found the Skunk family was very resistant to mold specially if it was sativa dominant, the flowers were a bit more airy and it can be useful against botrytis. One of my Great White Shark was a mold magnet, her flowers were so dense if a drop of water was getting inside it would mold in a few hours, on a 8 main branches plant I lost 6 apex, I was really not happy about that.
With time I'm sure you know what can or can not be grown in your environment, you always take a bit of a gamble because you don't control the weather but you can control what genetics to grow and it makes a big difference in the end result.Good luck for those beautiful BlueBerry trees, the bud you've shown on the previous page is incredible with its flaming pistils.(y)🔥

Most people don't grow full season plants where I am at. Fall is really short and it will be below freezing at night soon. I have had snow here in september and most years start watching for frost overnight around sept 10. Still, day temps can get into the mid 20's celcius , even high 20's thru september. So the day/night differential can be pretty extreme.
A heated greenhouse would defiantely up the chances of a better harvest simply because the plants would not slow down as much as they do. So yield expectations need to be modest.
Humidity doesn't really become an issue unless we get heavy sustained rains and the cool temperatures that get below 10C overnight. That is a straight up recipe for disaster. Fortunately I live in a fairly arid climate and the majority of our precipitation here comes as snowfall from november to April. Snowfalls can begin as early as late september and we have seen -20 temps here by mid october some years as well.
So it is always a gamble trying to go full season. If they don't finish with 8weeks of flowering time...... they won't finish. By late october the angle of the sun is just not giving them the energy they need to remain productive.
So ya, a heated greenhouse has always been in the cards but it costs a fair but to build out what I want so most seasons I do light dep and my plants are nearly done by now if not already harvested.
The plan this year was to see if this strain would finish here by the 3rd week of october running full season.
I got my fingers crossed LOL

kro-magnon

Veteran
Fingers crossed for a good harvest in your freezing country, that's some extreme weather clearly. I can't imagine how it is to live in your environment, you could freeze to death in winter if you get lost in the night.