What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bioglow

vapor

Veteran
http://www.bioglowtech.com/Home.html

"Bioglow is a biotechnology company that developed the world's first autoluminescent (light producing) plants based on the work of molecular biologist Dr. Alexander Krichevsky. Dr. Krichevsky’s original work was first published in this 2010 article in PLoS One, an international, peer-reviewed science journal. Bioglow is continuously working at increasing the light output emitted by autoluminescent plants. The company’s vision is to develop novel ornamental plant varieties and green alternatives to electricity-consuming light sources. Bioglow is headquartered at the Bio-Research & Development Growth (BRDG) Park at the Danforth Plant Science Center, St Louis, MO, USA.
The history of glowing plants

During the past three decades several plants have been described as having a glowing effect. However, these plants were either painted with dye, required chemicals or needed ultraviolet (UV) light to induce a temporary light emission effect. Bioglow’s plants are the first autonomously luminescent, or autoluminescent, plants that emit light on their own without the need for chemicals or UV light. Similar to fireflies and other luminous organisms found in nature, the autoluminescent plant’s light emission machinery is encoded on a cellular level allowing the plant to constantly emit visible light during its life cycle. Bioglow’s work is dedicated to bringing a cleaner, sustainable and affordable plant-based light alternatives to the world."

There goes the neighborhood///

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
So, plants use light for energy (e.g. ATP), transform that into sugar during the day and in the night, break down that sugar to make again energy (i.e. ATP) to produce light?
Lets say I put a plant in my guest room, illuminate it with 200 W during daytime (when electricity costs most) and during the night (when my guests want to sleep) it shines at best like a 50 W bulb?
Weird, really weird... stranger than the glowing fish made in Japan...