What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Attempting to ID plant pathogen

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I recently acquired the OGKB GSC cut from an ICmag member. He has had it for a year and shared some observations. Out of the blue a branch will wilt and die. The plant also grows out unreasonably slow and sports a mutated leaf pattern.

I had a discussion today with a breeder who works with the plant. He wouldn't say exactly what causes it but said it is a pathogen. The other interesting part about said pathogen is that it causes the plant to resist breeding. Once pollinated the plant will produce only a small number of viable seed, the rest come out pale white and dead. The OGKB itself will usually die before gestation is complete.

I suspect something like fusarium affects this plant, but I can't be sure. I have heard of a pathogen lab in California that will test Cannabis samples, I'll be looking further into that but in the mean time I would be interested to hear any thoughts on the matter from scholarly minds at ICmag. I will be documenting my results from the lab here, as well as sharing images of the plant as I progress with her. I will keep at least one plant on hand always untreated to serve as a control. My first attempts at cloning her will include Physan20, I also intend to pick up Regalia a biofungicide product to attempt to cleanse her.

picture.php
picture.php

My OGKB in the greenhouse and a picture from CultClassics, CC claims to have cleansed their OGKB clone.

Last edited:

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Appreciate the input Vostok! Whatever it is causing the symptoms it doesn't seem to affect finished product nor has it transferred to another plant in my friends setup in over a year of growing it.

Sent a plant sample complete with crown, stem, leaves and roots in to the lab today! I'll know exactly what affects it within a week.

vostok

Veteran
You are a lot braver than me or many other members here, on the first observation, it should hit the bin, just to safe guard the others and your 'healthy' grow zone ....IMHO

S

StudenTeacher

Did you get the test results back? What lab did you send it to? A friend is having issues and needs to send a plant in for testing. Thanks very much

Tom Hill

Veteran
i think u are on track with a systemic fungal diagnosis in my experience branches dying off for "no reason" are directly correlated to roots from the same quadrant dying off.. no surprise the breeder was not insightful and looking forward to your getting on top of it,, the roots are the problem sir,, mark my word.

R

Robrites

Appreciate the input Vostok! Whatever it is causing the symptoms it doesn't seem to affect finished product nor has it transferred to another plant in my friends setup in over a year of growing it.

Sent a plant sample complete with crown, stem, leaves and roots in to the lab today! I'll know exactly what affects it within a week.
What was the outcome of this problem?

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Sorry for the lapse in updates, Tom good to see you around! So the lab came back with Pythium. Whether this is the only thing affecting her or one of many resulting from her immune system being weak I can't be sure. My strategy has been to soak all cuts in Bleach, I'll be swapping that out for Physan 20 asap. I've cycled out all plants that are displaying the Rust symptoms I've come to associate with burgeoning root issues..

Tom Hill

Veteran
told you so :D jowking man glad u got on top of it and best of luck with your treatment.. i guess i don't need to tell you,,, but take some clones just in case.

NightmareTMV

You are dead on that this plant has a pathogen. I have about ten different old school clone only's from the early 90's. They were doing weird things since day one. Weird leaf curl that looks like broadmites. My plants were hit with several heavy pesticides in early veg, cuts taken and submerged in AVID. All mother cuts removed and room cleaned out. I still had issues, they would grow, stall out and grow again. Sometimes in flower, some cuts would have no smell or they take 3 weeks to throw pistils. The Triangle Kush was one of the worst cuts in the way it acted. I got lucky that the 91 Hollywood Pure Kush never did any of that stuff.

Everything changed once I started looking at pathogens. I bought home test kits for plant pathogens that came back positive for Pythium and fulsarium. I ordered about 1K in fungicides that are used on food crops. One fungicide caused plant damage and set me back several months. I now have a method that completely cured my garden. Just spraying your plants alone does not cure them, it takes a few months.

In the end, I save some very special OG cuts that are almost 30 years old and much better than the stuff we have today. The yields are back, the smell is back, they act just as fast as seed finds.

I also tested seeds from some breeders, some of them came back positive for Pythium. Pythium lives on the seed coat and unless the seeds are chemically treated, youre infected. Im not going to mention any names. Treating seeds and clones with organic means is not going to cut it, even with chemicals, its a lot of work.

NightmareTMV

My garden tests negative for everything. Systemic Fungicides work great, but you have to use the correct fungicide for what you are specifically fighting. Eagle 20 will not work on Fulsarium or Pythium but it will weaken them.

You should look into nutrient lines that have multiple SAR (systemic acquired resistance) inducers. We use chitosan oligosaccharide and phophites in our products to build the plant's immune system. Prevention (as mentioned above) is always a good idea. Foliar spray neem oil and check your leaves regularly!