What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Any idea what this strain might be?

StickyBandit

Have been doing this strain for decades but have no idea what it is.
I was hoping to get some kind of idea what it might be but it's a hard one to describe.
It's not sweet or sour or strong fuel smelling or anything like that, it's kind of plain smelling and has a good long, strong high and grows medium quick.
It's very sticky and was called golfball originally but I can't find any reference to that strain on the net.
It will grow to a decent size, dense bush if left to it's own devices but this one was trimmed hard to stop the fluff.
Location is New Zealand if that makes any difference.
20211002_182326.jpg
20211002_182338.jpg
20211002_185849.jpg
20211002_183559.jpg

Thanks for the help :)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
From it's age, the sensi seeds catalogue might be a good start.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You sometimes give the same cuttings to different people, and they get different crops. Not just once, but crop after crop, with any cuttings. Gene expression is motivated by growing conditions.

We can see it's broad leaf. Maybe 80/20 indica/sativa. 8/9 week. It might be a Skunk No1. Pic 3 looks a lot like the cheese pheno and the bud tops have that 90 degree slope of the afghan. The bud structure is more open then hash plants so I feel an afghan cross is quite likely, and it's age points to the first seed catalogue and peoples desire to grow skunk.

I'm heavily influenced by Amsterdam, with the things I have seen enough of to call them familiar. NZ is the other side of the world. Getting more influence from asia and south america. Which 30 years ago, mattered.

Edit: Do keep in mind, that anyone that knows for a fact, is kidding themselves. It's just a photo. I'm just steering an idea while at the helm. Hoping to dock, but might be sinking..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
impossible to say what it is. The structure to me says it's in the kush family.

hambre

It is impossible, you can guess, but nobody can tell you that. You will see everybody will tell you it is kush or skunk or whatever crap, but it is impossible to know. A lot of weirdos lately here...

goingrey

Yes, everyone understands that these are just guesses, I hope.

With the Skunk #1 like general appearance but with Afghani hashplant like resin coverage and large oval-fingered fan leaves, along with the somewhat muted description of the smell, my guess is that it is a Skunk #1 / Northern Lights hybrid. One with selections done towards large flowers, something like Big Bud from Sensi Seeds.

StickyBandit

I should mention the effect is not sleepy or hungry and the buds can be prone to rot if grown too fat especially in hydro
I would say they're more fluffy than dense in structure. Not hard buds but still quite full
The smell is sort of like tree gum but not piney
Pistils are not overly prominent and are a salmon color
Some of the bud structure looks a bit like fur covered empty seed pods

Last edited:

Brother Nature

I've seen a cut floating around the north island that's labeled g13 and looks a lot like that first pic. It does have a very "Dutch" look to it, if that makes sense. :D

StickyBandit

I've seen a cut floating around the north island that's labeled g13 and looks a lot like that first pic. It does have a very "Dutch" look to it, if that makes sense. :D

Sounds very similar after reading some reviews. The bit about it being super smelly through the bag is the same and the smell and taste could be similar. Also the strength and longevity match.
I got a few random seeds off an earlier batch which is what I actually grew this one from. A friend was supposed to be preserving the strain and lost it so I just have 3 or 4 of these seeds left.

therevverend

Veteran
Tempted to be an asshole and say 'OG Kush' or 'Mimosa'. Except I actually do recognize it, look like an 80's or early 90s Hashplant. From Sensi or whoever had it back then. It could be HPG13 or even straight G13 but the leaf and bud structure are more like the straight Hashplant. There's a lesser chance it could be Hashplant x NL, NL something or God Only Knows What Else but I'd say it's Hashplant and call that good. Since whatever it is the basic structure and form are the same as the Hashplant I grew in the 90s.

As an edit I'll say it's probably not Skunk #1. Too chunky and fat leaved. The resin is from the HPG13 family not Skunk. You're damn lucky to have it, not easy to find that particular strain in it's chunky form any more. The smell is typical hashplant. For a comparison Google 'Sensi Hashplant' and look at Sensi's pictures in the images. Or Mr Nice G13 x Hashplant. Basically the same plant.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
used to see buds like that here. everyone just called it "golf balls". when good SA weed was going for $80 an oz, it was $160 to $240, depending on how desperate you were before leaving for Hatteras...i was $240 desperate. 🙄

Brother Nature

Sounds very similar after reading some reviews. The bit about it being super smelly through the bag is the same and the smell and taste could be similar. Also the strength and longevity match.
I got a few random seeds off an earlier batch which is what I actually grew this one from. A friend was supposed to be preserving the strain and lost it so I just have 3 or 4 of these seeds left.

Nice. I think what Rev mentioned about hashplant makes sense too, I've definitely seen plenty of g13/HP buds in the region. She looks really nice, hope you keep her around, I managed to loose my Te Kakariki cuts due to poor/no labeling, then trashing the wrong ones... Live and learn I guess..

...CR500AF...

IMO you would need a few more seeds, but with that said you could reverse one of your fav female of the group and go looking for what you have now out of those seeds, i would hold onto what you got as long as you can and enjoy...:)