What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Any Idea what this might be?

This1guy

Any Idea what this might be? I'm guessing fusarium, but just a guess.

Some info in no particular order:
Soil grow.
Veg phase
Took some cuttings to clone (water). They looked good, but could see signs of it on them after a few days.

I tried spraying them with sulfur, and even though I didn't think it would help, H202 drenched the soil/roots.

As of right now leaves look good, but think its only a matter of time, so plan on culling and restarting. Cut worst one down already so I could see how it looked inside the stalk.

Just wanna try to figure what it is, so I can take preventative measures when I restart.

White seen on leaves is sulfur residue.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240902_005902.jpg
    20240902_005902.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240903_021920.jpg
    20240903_021920.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240902_194615.jpg
    20240902_194615.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240902_194450.jpg
    20240902_194450.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240902_005951.jpg
    20240902_005951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240902_005916.jpg
    20240902_005916.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Looks like the start of stem rot. There are many different possibilities. The most likely cause is from poor water drainage or excess water in the root zone. Ensure you have plenty of holes in your bucket to allow water to flow easily. Let the top inch or two inches of the soil dry well before watering again. Never let the pot sit in water in the drain tray. I put my pots on 3 mason jar lids to allow the water to drain out of the bottom of the pots.
  • Fungi: Fungi in the Rhizoctonia, Fusarium, or Pythium genera can cause stem rot. These fungi can survive in soil for up to five years.

• Bacteria: Bacterial pathogens can cause stem rot, damping off, and cankers.

• Nematodes: Soil-borne nematodes can cause stem rot.

• Overwatering: Overwatering can cause stem rot, especially in cacti. Cacti are often sold in peat-based soil that retains too much water.

• Unfiltered water: Using unfiltered water can spread stem rot.

• Unsterilized tools: Using unsterilized tools can spread stem rot.

• Leaving dead roots in soil: Leaving dead roots in soil can increase the risk of stem rot.
To prevent stem rot, you should make sure excess water runs through the container holes freely and empty your cachepot or plant saucer of any excess water. Google

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have used mason jar lids for a long time because they work well. This will allow the water to pass through and into the drain tray easily without setting in the discharge. The other reason is that it picks the pot up off the floor and allows air to flow under the pot while drying.

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

This1guy

Thanks I'll try mason jar lids to keep up off the tray. Right now I've just been dumping the tray, but knew I'd have ro figure something out once I went into flower, and was up in screen.

Pretty sure it's fusarium or something though because I normally let pots get pretty dry before watering, and roots didn't look bad.

Plus cuttings that looked healthy when I cut them are showing signs of whatever it is. They don't have any roots yet.

I just started growing again in Feb, because we just became legal. I started with coco/perlite, but kept having a woody purple stem problem and couldnt seem to remedy it, so took clones and switched to soil. Now I'm wondering my purple stems in coco, and this might be related.

For coco grow, I was mainly using ph'd tap water, but thought that might have been causing my purple stem problem, so for the soil, I've been only using distilled from the store with a little cal/mag and ph'd.

Either way, I'm gonna just cull these and restart. Figure I could spend 45 days hoping I can fix them, or spend it growing some new plants, and hope they fare better.

Def gonna clean everything with bleach and/or alcohol first.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Any Idea what this might be? I'm guessing fusarium, but just a guess.

Some info in no particular order:
Soil grow.
Veg phase
Took some cuttings to clone (water). They looked good, but could see signs of it on them after a few days.

I tried spraying them with sulfur, and even though I didn't think it would help, H202 drenched the soil/roots.

As of right now leaves look good, but think its only a matter of time, so plan on culling and restarting. Cut worst one down already so I could see how it looked inside the stalk.

Just wanna try to figure what it is, so I can take preventative measures when I restart.

White seen on leaves is sulfur residue.

Thanks in advance.
That looks very much like pythium.

1725434684775.png

Src.

"Pythium is a fungus that grows in environments with excessive humidity and temperatures between 20 and 30ºC."

--

"Maintain proper soil moisture in the root zone and — more importantly — avoid water logged conditions that lead to low oxygen levels."

Src.

So the question is - how often do you water. Also, the water shouldn't remain in the saucers for more than 10 mintutes after watering.

This1guy

I really don't over water, but when I first put them in, could be that the soil was staying to wet before roots had a chance to spread. Basically put in the clones, gave them a good watering, and left them alone for like 10 days, soil was pretty dry about a finger deep, so gave them another watering. Maybe I should have either started them in a smaller container, or waited for them to wilt a little before second watering.

Either way, I stared new ones, but gonna see if these some how recover, because spread seemed to have stopped, leave all look good, and still growng well. But first sign they're not actually recovering, getting rid of them.