What's new

Analog Neuronal Model Elucidates Key Role of Endocannabinoids

mofeta

Veteran
Here is a link to what I think is a brilliant paper from some guys at MIT:

A biophysically-based neuromorphic model of spike rate- and timing-dependent plasticity

This is a very interesting paper in a number of ways.

Here is my synopsis of the paper:

The researchers made an analog model of the most basic mechanisms by which neurons communicate. They then used it to test a theory about the most fundamental aspects of neuronal interaction, and the role of endocannabinoids in this context. They found that endocannabinoids play a key role in modulating NMDA, the main exitatory neurotransmitter.

There has been an increasing interest in endocannabinoids among neuroscientists, as it becomes clear that they are not "minor" neurotransmitters. They are taking their rightful place among the "biggies" like NMDA, GABA, 5HT, dopamine, opioid, etc. Granted, they may exert a lot of their influence through modulation of the biggies, but this study shows that this modulation is of a co-equal nature.

This aspect of the research is interesting enough, for us herb lovers, but the implications are much bigger.

Usually when scientists model neuronal behavior, they do it with software. They use digital models that require massive computing power. This study is very different. They used a CMOS chip, not to digitally model the neurons, but to make an analog model.

This is a paradigm shift in neuronal modeling.

For you computer-savy folks, think of how much better hardware video or RAID is than software. This is a similar thing. The voltage channel potentials of the neurons are mimicked, not simulated, on the chip.

This has implications that are the stuff of science fiction.

This technology could be used in brain/machine interfaces.

Imagine a prosthetic eye that could not only restore sight to a blind person, but enhance vision to include magnification and zoom and the perception of wavelengths invisible to a "real" eye! Steve Austin cyborg stuff.

Or imagine controlling your computer, or your car, or any type of machine, the same way you control your hand.

On top of that, this technology could be used to make machine intelligence much more like ours than the current digital models.

I will stop now, if anyone is interested, I can elaborate more.

Happy 7

In itself a nice tidbit of info if one is into neuroengineering but has it any relevance with regard to growing, breeding, consuming cannabis?

S

SeaMaiden

This has great relevance in terms of cannabis as medicine, which could lead to rescheduling, which could lead to better laws and fewer restrictions, which could lead to better medicine, which could lead to people living healthier, happier lives.

As we begin to put together the workings of the brain, we begin to understand how to unbreak ourselves.

highonmt

Veteran

Shinikies that is some cool research, Those mit nerds can really think up some wierd stuff, not a lot of relevance to growers but interesting to think of the implications none the less. I could use one of those eyes...if you want to grab that ring you gotta REACH...hm

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Didn't Dr. Asimov get a patent on the positronic brain?

This reconfirms my belief I was born fifty years too soon, I expect my grandchildren to have immortality from this type research. I am ready for the machine but it is not ready for me yet.

Now I need to water my plants, some chemical is acting up in my brain and I gotta move.

Latest posts

Latest posts