What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

American kills himself in Taiwan courtroom after drug conviction

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahhh yes, ultra conservative Asia. Used to live in old Asia. What a shame. I know some places in several countries there that are off the charts..........Maybe in the next lifetime

American kills himself in Taiwan courtroom after drug conviction
By the time authorities noticed that Tyrel Martin Marhanka had a sharp metal object in his hands, it was too late.
The 41-year-old American — who was sitting in a courtroom in Taiwan during his sentencing on drug possession charges — plunged the object deep into his neck, unleashing a gush of blood, according to the Taipei Times.
Some witnesses identified the object as a pair of scissors, but others said they saw Marhanka using two objects, both metallic. Court officials told the Times that the American separated a pair of scissors into two sharp blades.
[A record number of people with dementia were reported missing in Japan last year, report says]
The shocking act occurred moments after a judge gave Marhanka a four-year prison sentence for smuggling poppy seeds into the country and growing marijuana, according to the paper.
Marhanka was arrested in April 2015 after police discovered a large stash of illegal drugs at a rented house, which included hundreds of cannabis plants and 10 opium poppies, according to the Times.
He told police the plants were a "hobby" that he intended to use on his own, the paper reported.
Witnesses told the Times that, after the judge read the sentence out loud, Marhanka turned to the interpreter, who informed him of the sentence.
“Four years?” a shocked Marhanka was heard saying.
Witnesses told the paper that the interpreter explained to Marhanka that the sentence could be appealed, but Marhanka said he didn't want to do so.
“I don’t want to live anymore,” he yelled, before stabbing himself in the neck and severing at least one artery, witnesses told the Times. He was taken to a hospital, but doctors were unable to revive him, according to Agence France-Presse.
“We deeply regret that Tyrel Martin Marhanka killed himself during the sentencing,” the court said in a statement, according to the AFP report. "He was cooperative during the investigation and the trial. His attitude was mild and he did not show any signs that he would commit suicide.”
Marhanka was married to a Taiwanese woman and had two children, and they were longtime residents of the island, AFP reported.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/16/american-kills-himself-in-taiwan-courtroom-after-pot-conviction/

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
so sad.....another life lost over this plant.

4 years in a Taiwanese jail could have been done with a strong mind. I guess that he wasn't up to it.

miscbrah3284

Veteran
wtf stabs himself in the neck? i thought i was gunna read they gave him life or some shit but 4 years and he shanks himself in the neck? jesus bro.... maybe the poppy seeds got to him

99%

Very sad news......but actually, with 200 cannabis plants, he was lucky to get only 4 years. Usually, when that many plants are found the prosecutors aim for 10 years and stack on distribution to the charges as well.

and while any sane person would be devastated at the sentence, but would appeal immediately, he was obviously in the same mindset as those who step off tall buildings, BJ a shotgun or swallow a bottle of tablets to end it all.

and also sad is the fact that in many countries his suicide would promote discussion about the very harsh cannabis laws in that country and perhaps even make everyone realize that getting 3 or 4 months in jail if your urine contains THC is way too harsh, but knowing this place as I do, it will probably do the opposite and everyone there will blame cannabis (not his insanity) as the cause of his suicide.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i don't blame him really. getting locked into a cage, having your freedon stripped...over plants that grow out of the ground all on their own accord. i would kill myself too. who wants to live in a world where plants are illegal?
what's the point. the world is fucked up to the point where you can't grow plants? just end it.

LibertyOrDeath

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah....this guy had a wife and a couple of kids to live for, he should have made them his aim and priority to survive thru the 4 years in jail. He took the easy way out, forsaking his own kin in the process, and topped himself. He was weak, when perhaps he should have been strong.

Mind you a real hard test of a relationship such as husband and wife, is when one of them gets banged up. But if you and your family are up for it, it can be worked out actually for the common good, and strengthen the bonds between family members. Strong bonds are made thru hard times.

BrainSellz

Veteran
Wicked! However, he was playing with fire. What did he expect to happen if he got caught?! It's always good to factor getting caught into the equation and be prepared to handle what may come. This guy left an entire family behind because he couldn't handle his sentence, I will keep my choice words to myself; a bit selfish to say the least.

BrainSellz

Veteran
Yeah....this guy had a wife and a couple of kids to live for, he should have made them his aim and priority to survive thru the 4 years in jail. He took the easy way out, forsaking his own kin in the process, and topped himself. He was weak, when perhaps he should have been strong.

Mind you a real hard test of a relationship such as husband and wife, is when one of them gets banged up. But if you and your family are up for it, it can be worked out actually for the common good, and strengthen the bonds between family members. Strong bonds are made thru hard times.

We must have been typing at the same time. ^ absolutely.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I don't think so gaius....I've searched for a gerber & Gerber, and nadda comes up.

yeah, tried the same thing. noticed a couple of guys mentioning gerber. must be known from some other social media site.

i wonder how bad the jails are in Taiwan?

don't understand why he would take such a risk if he isn't ready for some time in such a country with such laws. but yeah maybe those jails are really heavy?

the whole thing is so pointless, such a waste of life.