What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Alcohol to Germinate seeds

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Ethylene = ethyl alcohol = Everclear and ethyl rubbing alcohol, it also equals Ethylene Glycol = Antifreeze (Ethylene oxide reacts with water to produce ethylene glycol)
That's utter BS, sorry mate!
Ethylene = H2C=CH2 (the = between the two carbons signifies a double bond)
Ethyl alcohol or ethanol = HOCH2CH3
Ethylene glycol = a constituent in certain antifreeze products = HOCH2CH2OH
Three different chemicals, three different activities = don't mix them up or your seeds are toast ;) .
Didn't read the rest...

chronosync

Fermentation maybe something to do with grains i diddnt read it all either.

Look into seaweed and AM rhyzo fungi. Thats what im after.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I get great germination rates as I let my seeds mature on the plant longer than most...I prefer to drink my alcohol.....yeehaw

amanda88

should I need to scarify I use sandpaper in a jar

like trout I

I prefer to drink my alcohol...../wink

but subbed! ..lol

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I just keep thinking of "Brave New World" - dropping alcohol into the test tube babies solution gave them low functioning Epsilons. Can't get my head around a poison being beneficial to beginning of life. Not saying "Rubbish", just saying "Huh?".

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I still don't get why you falsely claim that ethanol equals ethylene glycol. And what exactly this has to do with ethylene except for hardcore organic chemistry remains a mystery too.

Be that as it may, after reading your citations regarding ethanol to break seed dormancy I still don't feed motivated to try this out. The therapeutic window is too small and non-explored regarding out plant of common interest. There's also no mentioning of old seeds. On the other hand, nice idea for a trial and error (though I won't participate but impatiently await experiments of other users).

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cant find a reason to experiment w this either. Seems a waste of alcohol to me. N I see enough mutated growth already to satisfy my needs.

amanda88

I do have some KCB mango that never germed I'll try with a teaspoon(5ml) of methylated spirits/iso

to 1/2 coffee cup(125ml) of ro water,

on the next germ due soon

thanks

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Recall doing science project y-e-a-r-s ago w/ diluted alcohol. Clearly, the seeds soaked in alcohol did not germinate. Exact same conditions, but one being water the other diluted alcohol. Many blurbs on the subject if you Google.

Latest posts

Latest posts