What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Alaska Fish Fert?

FrayedO

How do you guys use the Alaska Fish Fert?(5-1-1). Do you add it to your regular feeding schedule? Or do you use it once and enchance soil with it first? Or do you use it to make organic tea's?

crunkinshoe

I imagine you saw when you checked out my grow thread but yea it's a tea mix of guano, kelp, fish fert, ewc, molasses and superthrive.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
I use it all the time and just mix in in with the water and adjust the ph. Fish emulsion is very acidic. Only takes one tablespoon to drop one gallon of 7ph water down to 5.5-6.0ph.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I have used it- sure can burn the shit out your plants if you are not careful (and I was not).

I am concerned witht eh heavy metals the fert contains. Are heavy metals ingested when the weed is smoked or do they remain in the ash material??

Alright Sproutco- what the answer there?

minds_I

Natural

In veg, I use it once every month.
Mine is 5-1-2, I use it at 1 tablespoon / half gallon of water.
I like it...

I also use Dr. Earth's all purpose (4-4-4) in veg though, so the fish is just a little boost I suppose :yummy:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
What gets me with fish ferts is that there are tons of products like guano or whatever that have alot of N but most fish fert users use them in vegetative phase.

The hardest element to get enough of in any organic grow is K, now there is an Alaska Morbloom is 0-10-10 perfect in flowering and nice and high in P and K....but rarely do I see anyone use it...

MI

Depending on the prosuct metals will be high with a cheaper fish fert, look for one that is OMRI listed and check the content listings online.
......on a side note he'll prob be here soon.

Just an observation

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
I've heard Morbloom leads to stretching and looser buds. Anyone else heard this?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I've heard liquid seaweed can lead to stetching because it is high in growth hormone, seaweed can grow a few feet a day due to it's genetic makeup which lends itself well to organic gardening one ground up or fed by tea.

Heat, humidity, lighting and strain will have alot more to do with a stretch that a fert.

.02$

AlexanderS

be really careful with that stuff, it can burn the plants really easily and also i believe it isnt totaly organic, and yea, i know it says it is ;)

B

baccas125

Ya that Alex! Be careful with the morebloom it isn't organic. It is derivered from chemicaly notice no ORMI listing?? The ORMI listing is only on there 5-1-1 not even on the 2-1-2 seed starter molasse base with V B-1. I do use the 5-1-1 but i would look for something a little more nature for flower. It ready does improve flavor.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Morbloom isn't organic

sry bout that, I just assumed it was as the only one I've used was OMRI certified, the high N kind.

Good catch, sweet nug.

Verite

Veteran
Ive used the morbloom but wasnt too impressed. Doesnt work as well as their fish and start-up ferts.

darthvapor

I use guano with a high K after soma suggested it. I added this to my normal ferts and feed only half my girls with it. The other half got normal ferts I use. Oh and the guano is used in a tea that I let compost for 48hrs. Well the girls that got the guano have a much more sweeter smell to them and seems to glisten with more trichs. I know Im a newbie but I bullshit you not that guano does miracles. Gives me a hard on when I go tend to them in the morning, sexy little green bitches. Cant wait for harvest time and in future grows guano is definitly going to be a big part of my feeding regiment. Also you can get high nitro guanos that dont stink like the fish ferts. Just my humble opinion from this novice.

N

Neptune

Alaska Fish ferts and other products are VERY HIGH in trace metals

Including mercury, lead, and others

this is from memory from a thread on overgrow, i made a mental note to never buy the stuff.

Verite

Veteran
Imo thats bs. If it were the truth the product would have been tested and removed from the public or made to carry a harsh warning on its label. Truth is most organic ferts contain these trace metals because the trace metals are in the environment in trace amounts.

But rather than rely on second hand info I prefer to research info when its been labled dangerous.

Heres a pdf on a plant study to assess the uptake of trace metals.
http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Publications/docs/2002MetalsUptakeStudy.pdf

Heres some of what they said.
... Arsenic and lead levels in most agricultural fertilizers are very low. Occasionally,
relatively high levels of lead can be found in some micronutrient fertilizers, but the
application rate of those products is so low that it does not significantly contribute to lead
soil levels. In addition, compared to cadmium, the transfer of arsenic and lead from soil
to crop is minimal. ...

They did a test by ferting lettuce with 40 times the washington state allowable levels of lead and heres what they said.
...Application of lead to a Sultan silt loam up to 40 times the Washington fertilizer
standard had no effect on fresh or dry weight lettuce yield, i.e. phytotoxicity was not
observed at any application rate.
• Lettuce lead concentrations increased with increasing application rates of granular
zinc.
• Liming did not affect lead uptake by lettuce.
• Soil extractable lead was lower in soil treated with granular zinc than with soluble
lead salt.
• The average Tc was small (0.005); indicating a low potential for plant uptake of lead...

I did find the information though and as I thought Alaska Brand ferts dont contain higher levels mercury and lead as do many other popular brands of ferts in the list. In fact theirs are just as low or lower than other organic ferts derived from fish emulsion.

Alaska Fish 5-1-1 contains 0.1 ppm mercury and 3.5 ppm lead
Alaska Start-up 2-1-2 contains 0.1 ppm mercury and 9.2 ppm lead
Alaska MorBloom 0-10-10 contains 0.1 ppm mercury and 4.3 ppm lead
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line is most organic ferts are higher in trace metal amounts compared with chem based hydro ferts. Im also willing to bet this pdf has your fert listed with its metal amounts so you can compare them to others. [ its 216 pages and 1,000's of listed ferts grouped by company in alpha order. ]

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Publications/docs/2005LevelsNonNutSubFert.pdf