What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Advanced growing book?

tbk

hello.
im looking for a good book on growing weed. i dont know if the standard growing book like Marijuana Growers Handbook by Ed Rosentahl and the books from Jorge not will bring any new knowledge. my dream was to find a book with a scientific aproach to growing weed, citing scientific jornals/papers and looking into more advanced plant physiology and plant response in relation to the enviroment, and not so much about the "low tech" practial things involved in growing(you do this at this time in flowering, use this fert etc...)
So far i read Biology of Plants by Peter H Raven, Introduction to Plant Physiology by William G Hopkins, Plant Physiological Ecology by Hans Lambers and partly Plant Physiology by Lincoln Taiz.
All great books but lack an agricultural aproach to optimize yield.
So any recommendation that satisfy my needs if such a book exist at all?
Sorry for my bad english, im a reader not a writter:tiphat:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
The books on cannabis are all myth based bullshit.

If you want the best information available right now check out the ever evolving recycled organic living soil section under the organic soil forum.

Last edited:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Also, soil education is more apt to get you the yield you are seeking rather than plant physiology.

Teaming with microbes is an excellent read.

mapinguari

Veteran
Robert Connell Clarke's _Marijuana Botany_ is probably the closest thing in book form.

But the best source for growing is ICMag, especially the "growing large plants outdoors" thread in the Tom Hill vendor forum.

It's far superior to any book.

But look at Clarke, also his more recent _Hemp Diseases and Pests_ with Watson and McPartland.

guineapig

Veteran
One of the problems is that the FDA refuses to allow quantities of raw cannabis, or
seeds for that matter, to be used by American universities for basic research. The Univ.
Mississippi has a research facility, but I am not aware of any research papers that have
been made available to the public. I remember trying to find journal articles at a huge
university library, and there were books written during the 1940s and early 1950s, when
hemp was still being grown widely (recall the Hemp for Victory campaign in the USA), but
these books were restricted by the library itself.

I think now that the medicinal cannabis movement has been approved by many US states,
now is the time to write a book on advanced growing techniques.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
One of the problems is that the FDA refuses to allow quantities of raw cannabis, or
seeds for that matter, to be used by American universities for basic research. The Univ.
Mississippi has a research facility, but I am not aware of any research papers that have
been made available to the public. I remember trying to find journal articles at a huge
university library, and there were books written during the 1940s and early 1950s, when
hemp was still being grown widely (recall the Hemp for Victory campaign in the USA), but
these books were restricted by the library itself.

I think now that the medicinal cannabis movement has been approved by many US states,
now is the time to write a book on advanced growing techniques.

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

That's a good point.

I think that often times we cannabis growers regard this plant as unique, and very special.... and that it is.

However when it comes to growing it, it's like most other annual's.

Just treat the plant like any other you'd be growing in your veggie garden and you will do just fine.

Besides, there are a million books on growing plants when you release the requirement that it be cannabis specific.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I had posted it here in PDF format for Free download but it got deleted, and I'm sure I know why.

For the mod that had to delete that, I'm sorry, I should have known better.

For those that want to read the book.... go to google and type in "Marijuana Botany pdf free download"

That should work!

The Book(s) you're looking for

The Book(s) you're looking for

Hey TBK-

From my limited reading, I can both agree with what the other's have posted but also add some other sources which I think you will find helpful. Yes most cannabis cultivation books are all the same, or redundant, or un-scientific. Aside from Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke, a book for you would be by GW Pharm (the people who make Sativex) and they are probably the world leader in phytocannabinoid science in some aspects. They can legally grow their crop for commercial and research purposes. I will list below a book they published (title can be found on Amazon) and also I believe I have a few PDF's of some PhD theses that students did in their labs. I will try to find those and upload. Several chapters from Marijuana Botany and also The Chemical Ecology of Cannabis in PDF form can be found at a website called(I think) cannabis-science.com Hope these help.

Book List

• The Medicinal Uses of Cannabis and Cannabinoids- Geoffrey W. Guy, Brian Whittle, Phillip Robson. Discusses controlled growth of cannabis, optimizing for quality, lab testing, medical applications etc *I think this is a collection of journal articles so you may be able to find all the chapters separately as PDFs online. I had wanted to purchase this book, but have put off doing so. Also hardback edition is $180! The paperback edition can be found for about $50.
  • The Chemical Ecology of Cannabis- David Pate. Parts of this book can also be found online. Good reading about the evolutionary and ecological functions of cannabis etc.
  • THE PROPAGATION, CHARACTERISATION AND
    OPTIMISATION OF CANNABIS SATIVA L
    AS A PHYTOPHARMACEUTICAL- David Potter. Attached below.

I think most of what papers/books I have focus more on the intersection of plants and medicine, studying compounds from the plants, isolating/extracting and analyzing- but not so much on just botany and plant physiology. I think this message board on ICmag has some pretty good info on occasion!

Look for a thread called 'Scrutinizing Strains with Science', it's an old one but it's long and has lots of good science articles and discussions we all contributed as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts