What's new

A question? about open pollination and the resulting offspring

DeoXy

say you planted a whole 10pack of reg. male/female seeds and let them open pollinate.. will the resulting seeds give you more variety to choose keepers out of compared to the expressions shown in the first pack?.. OR are you better off just growing out the females in the pack and pick from there? - as good as it's going to get in that pack.

I have single packs of a lot of genetics I want to work through 1 by 1 but couldn't afford more than 1 pack of each when I bought them.. I have nothing but time so I am curious which will net the best result and give me the most variety to sift thru.. thanks in advance:tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it depends on the nature of the pack of seeds.slightly simplified answer here but if they are an F1 hybrid - i.e. 2 strains crossed together - if you then do an open pollination with the pack you are making F2 seeds, which when grown out should give you all the shades of variety between the original parents of the F1. so yes you will get more variety.

if the seeds are an IBL (inbred line) such as skunk, which breeds true, then the seeds you make should be just more of the same like you have in your pack.

one thing though, i would not bother open pollinating as you will get thousands of seeds and very little smoke which will be of lesser quality.
what i do is collect pollen from all the males and then just pollinate a bud or two on each plant carefully with a paintbrush - you will get plenty of seeds still (20-100 per bud) and have some nice sensi to smoke too.

VG