What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

'90/'00s "Dutch" strains

Asentrouw

It's quite recent I rediscovered my old hobby and I'm a very moderate user these days. However, I practically grew up in the Dutch coffeeshops when I was in my teenage years.

Although some classics from back then remain, some seem to have vanished completely. Most of it is replaced by all sorts of US strains, with vague names referring to all kinds of fruits, pies and other foods. Interesting as they are, they don't say much to me. 😅

I remember Silver Pearl, Citral, B52, Super Skunk, White Widow, K2, Pepsi, Shiva, Santa Marta, Amnees, Kristal and the likes.

So nostalgic as I am, I'd like to ask if people would know some typical strains, you would come across a '90s or '00s Dutch coffeeshop menu?

And more important: if these are still available as the original genetics (for a reasonable price)?

Because frankly, lots of strains sold by the wellknown Dutch seedshops, don't seem to be what they used to be. They seem to sell the name, but not the genetics.

Some - like Citral, Pepsi and Silver Pearl - seem to have dissappeared completely. Although I doubt such once commercial genetics can be really lost.

* I put "Dutch" between quotation marks, as cannabis is not native to the NL and I understand most of these strains are worked imports (from the US etc.). So that discussion can be kept for a different thread. 😉

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
picture (1) (15).jpeg

Screenshot_20230918-043056~2.png

First is from 2007 I believe and the second one early 90s.

In the 90s you could also find Orange Bud, Durban, Kierewiet, White Widow.Nowadays it's from Cali and Canada.

Asentrouw

In the past there was also a ton of Citral, Silverpearl and Pepsi to be found. Loved those. However, as commercial as they once were, I don't seem to find any seeds from these strains these days.

Others like White Widow and Super Skunk these days don't even seem to come close to what was sold in those days. I think the recent repression cost a lot of Dutch seedshops their parent stock and they are often selling bad reproductions.

But I can't believe that classic genetics that were once so commercial, can be completely lost now.

RobertFripp

While F2

AKBeanBrains sells all kinds on 80s-90s genetics. Mainly from Nevils Seed Bank, Sensi Seeds, who bought all of Nevils genetics in 1990. Super Sativa Seed Club.
He also has all kinds of hybrids.
Dave also sends Internationally
Contact him @ [email protected] Ask for a seed list ect.

Just from memory
Dave has.
NL5 x Haze.
Black Domina.. 3 Different Selections
NL1
NL5
NL5/89NL
Williams Wonder
Durban
Beatrix Choice
Friesland
Kali Mist
Sensi Star
G13 x Hashplant
Romulan BX

Hemp Depot in Canada has??
Original Pre 2000
White Eidow
AK47
Jah Seeds in Canada has a killer C99 IBL, as well as other hybrids.

This is a good start.

Asentrouw

Which ones have you tried recently and been disappointed with then?

Greenhouse Seeds has Silver Pearl, they call it Lost Pearl.

I tried several brands White Widows and Super Skunk. Ok plants, but they did not really compared nor resembled to what I remembered it to be. Others, like Nirvana Snow White did quite well for me.

But maybe I'm just overly nostalgic, could be ofcourse. 😂

I will look into the Lost Pearl then, would be very nice if its the same strain.

Last edited:

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
I think its not truth that genetics are lost.
Most old school genetics I grew were very good.
Just they lack of something compared to modern strains.
Taste,bag appeal,high....Today strains are crosses of best phenos of old 90s dutch seed stock.

mm4n

Although some classics from back then remain, some seem to have vanished completely. Most of it is replaced by all sorts of US strains, with vague names referring to all kinds of fruits, pies and other foods. Interesting as they are, they don't say much to me. 😅
The genetic traits of old hybrid strains -like Skunk- have not disappeared; they have been crossed together to create new strains (polyhybrids).
For example, some traits of Skunk and Northen Lights have ended up in Sour Diesel; mixed with an OG Kush chemotype (Biker), they are found today in Headbanger. Sour Diesel, Thai & Chemdog endend up in Gorilla Glue.
OG Kush, Chemdog, NL & Grape have ended up in Runtz/Gelato family. And so on…

With sites like Seedfinder (or Leafly) it is possible to see how different genetic lines have evolved. Or you could take a tour of all the dutch coffeeshops to make up for lost years. :joint:

I tried several brands White Widows and Super Skunk. Ok plants, but they did not really compared nor resembled to what I remembered it to be.
But maybe I'm just overly nostalgic
IMHO, if you are looking for oldschool flavors and effects, you should look for clones.
I believe that the best Cheese and the best Amnesia are still the Exodus cut and the Core cut.

Asentrouw

The truth is the coffeeshop buds were all grown from select clones, same as the famous name ones are today… seeds are always variable to some extent.

I agree, but a lot has changed since and the last decades Dutch laws have become more and more rigid. So selling clones is now illegal in the Netherlands and less accesable.

I haven't visited the shops for a long time, but from friends I hear the overall quality seems to be less these days (hear say ofcourse). New laws pushed it from the idealists/hobbyists into illegality and organized crime.

I think this might also be a reason Dutch seedshops have lost some genetics, as they also suffer under these new legislations.

Ofcourse you'll always have some different pheno's. But these days if I plant the same strain from three different growshops, I'll sometimes end up with three completely different plants. 😅

Last edited:

Asentrouw

The genetic traits of old hybrid strains -like Skunk- have not disappeared; they have been crossed together to create new strains (polyhybrids).

True, but I'm not interested in breeding them back or anything. And most of these strains are still great in their new forms.

But ofcourse also a lot of the classic strains are still available and sold. I want to know who has the ones closest to the originals.

I like to know who has the best "old school" expressions of these Dutch classics, for a reasonable price (I'm not willing to spend hundreds of euro's/dollars on some seeds, as this seems ridiculous to me).

Seedfinder is a great site btw!

Last edited:

Asentrouw

I think its not truth that genetics are lost.
Most old school genetics I grew were very good.
Just they lack of something compared to modern strains.
Taste,bag appeal,high....Today strains are crosses of best phenos of old 90s dutch seed stock.

Yes, they probably are still somewhere, I just want to figure out where. 😉

Personally I think the original classic ones were as good as anything available today.

I just think the situation changed: legal states in the US are now forerunners of new genetics, while the Netherlands degraded from guide country into a war on drugs-like situation, producing shitty genetics these days. 😅

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Yes, they probably are still somewhere, I just want to figure out where. 😉

Personally I think the original classic ones were as good as anything available today.

I just think the situation changed: legal states in the US are now forerunners of new genetics, while the Netherlands degraded from guide country into a war on drugs-like situation, producing shitty genetics these days. 😅
How many seeds you grew of this old genetics ?
So you are 100% shure that they are gone.

In Jack herer I found A5 pheno.
In Bubblegum sour pheno.
In white widow old school widow pheno...
Orange bud was also great...
Now I grow g13hp and JF....
Black Domina...

Didnt see that something is missing.
Mostly people that dont grow are in claim that genetics are lost.
🤣

Asentrouw

How many seeds you grew of this old genetics ?
So you are 100% shure that they are gone.

In Jack herer I found A5 pheno.
In Bubblegum sour pheno.
In white widow old school widow pheno...
Orange bud was also great...
Now I grow g13hp and JF....
Black Domina...

Didnt see that something is missing.
Mostly people that dont grow are in claim that genetics are lost.
🤣

Well I grow, but maybe just not enough. 🤣

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree, but a lot has changed since and the last decades Dutch laws have become more and more rigid. So selling clones is now illegal in the Netherlands and less accesable.

I haven't visited the shops for a long time, but from friends I hear the overall quality seems to be less these days (hear say ofcourse). New laws pushed it from the idealists/hobbyists into illegality and organized crime.

I think this might also be a reason Dutch seedshops have lost some genetics, as they also suffer under these new legislations.

Ofcourse you'll always have some different pheno's. But these days if I plant the same strain from three different growshops, I'll sometimes end up with three completely different plants. 😅
Several laws came in around early 2000's around 2001-2003 in Holland like closing of many growshops making it illegal and very hard for growers to get supplies discreet and many more laws to mess with growers, forcing many of the good growers to move to Spain/USA to work plus other legendary growers retiring has left Holland empty of the legend's from the good old days, and with extremely poor quality flowers in coffeshops grown by commercial outfits and all the same strains.
Luckily a couple of shops still have a few things like a couple of old Nevil cuts but you defo want to bring your own flower when heading to Amsterdam unless you want to smoke Hash the whole time ( and same Hash quality is way down on import and nederhash )

White Rhino is still around and I and @VerdantGreen seeds offer white Rhino hybrids and defo have that old school look, Skunk taste , High and grease of the White widow from 90's

Endangered Rhino Feminized seed = White Rhino 90's clone X Chem d x Original Diesel) this is a heavy White Rhino leaning strain , White Rhino clone is quite dominant in X's

20230912_203535.jpg
20230912_203542.jpg
20230912_204913.jpg
20230912_204916.jpg

kyah

The Black widow by mr. nice seems to be he closest to the original WW.

But, never popped then by myself. just read it a lot.

Asentrouw

Thanks! I saw this, but it's supposed to be a "lemon kush" with some ruderalis. Also came across citral skunk. Not sure if these are the same though.

Anyway for the money its worth the try...

Last edited: