What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

1990s Midwestern pine

Nextofkin

So,
This has been my white whale since around 2001 and I’m really hoping someone else with this same interest has possibly nailed down what genetics it was.
I started seeing it in Indiana around 1995/96 , very popcorn / golf ball in shape , and heavy heavy pine.
I can not remember any other terps on her except pine , tasted like sweet pine as well.
I could get her year round in Indiana but back in Missouri we only saw her around Christmas and she had the name Christmas Tree Bud.
I have beat this strain to death hunting it, I’ve ran Xmas tree, pine tar , Georgia pine, Irene OG, all the chems, all the OGs , hunted hundreds of Afghanis, pakis , Iranians, Indians, nothing that comes close to what we got.
I’ve seen a few posts on this topic and they all end with OP running 79 Xmas Tree.
Does anyone have any idea of the background or what she could possibly have been ?
My guess is she could have been a random seed pop from a farmer, a specific pheno I’ll never see again maybe.

Nextofkin

If anyone has any suggestions on pine heavy strains I would appreciate it.
I just went down the rabbit hole of it possibly being a pine heavy OG.
Ran Tahoe , Louis , 92og , oaksterdam OG, on and on.
Nothing really came with what I would consider 90s pine.

Nextofkin

Just saw that you ran the ptk.

Honestly Probly just a really pine heavy pheno of NL. There were around a lot in the 90s.
I’m actually running NL2 at the moment.
I’ve never ran 2 or 5.
My guess is it was possibly a seed pop from an Amsterdam order way back when.
Anyone who was smoking back in the 90s Midwest encountered it it seemed.
I’ve spoken to dozens of people that loved it.

kro-magnon

Veteran
In my experience many sativas like Jack herrer or some haze have a lot of pine smelling pheno. Did you look in this direction? If it was available around and grown outdoor it was maybe a late finishing sativa.

Nextofkin

In my experience many sativas like Jack herrer or some haze have a lot of pine smelling pheno. Did you look in this direction? If it was available around and grown outdoor it was maybe a late finishing sativa.
I actually haven’t gone this route.
I can get the jack herrer cut.

I just always assumed it was a heavy indica because of the look of the flower.
It looked very afghani , possibly a hybrid.

I can’t remember anything but pine from her , smell and taste.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
The 79 xmas bud ndn had came from me.
Assuming that's the source of those and things haven't changed too much you may find pine but it was not the dominant profile.
The more you drop the more likely you will find something but that is true for all of them.
Good luck I hope you can find it.

Nextofkin

The 79 xmas bud ndn had came from me.
Assuming that's the source of those and things haven't changed too much you may find pine but it was not the dominant profile.
The more you drop the more likely you will find something but that is true for all of them.
Good luck I hope you can find it.
I’ve ran 79 Xmas and pine tar from Tom.
Georgia pine , Marsala pine , Irene.
I’ve been hunting this damn terp profile for years…

My guess is it was a very pinene heavy seed pop.
Was just hoping some old head might have known.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Maybe the plant you've smoked then was grown in a specific soil who gave it her smell or the grower had his own nutes recipes. The food will influence the end result of a bud.