What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Soil Experiment Questionier

icky420

OK, I have a bunch of Nirvana Misty clones and I want to get some what to the bottom of soil mixes.

My proposed experiment:

2 Lines of bottled nutes...Earth Juice and Metanaturals

4 clones in each group
***2 each in the 2 different soils.

Now where I want some advice is what soil mixes to play with. For the last 2 grows I have used Fox Farms Happy Frog cut 3:1 with Fox Farm Light Warrior. I would like to put that mix up against a more common mixture found here on the forums.

So what soil mixes should I play with?
(NOTE: No soil amendments other than maybe lime to be added)

icky420

Nothing? NO ideas? I'm bored and want to play around. I have access to most common soils so just give me something.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ummmm most of the soil mixes here involve soil amendments, no one grows in plain soil i don't think. those pre-made soils suck anyways.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use 60% promix (bx or hp)
20 % ewc
20% perlite (add more perlite if you use the promix bx)
2 tablespoons lime per gallon of soil

spadedNfaded

Veteran
i'm also curious as to a new soil mixture. On my grows i always just used whatever soil i could find...

Hey Frank - what is ewc?? do you get promix locally? thanks!

- SubN

icky420

My idea is to see how well each soil mix holds water, nutes, and whatever else. I know most people use amendments and I wouldnt think twice about using EWC in this project. I just didnt want to get into all the amending because I wanted to do things by the bottle. I think it would be nice for some people to see what they can do with just bottled nutes because some soil amendments are not always available. I am personally trying to get away from adding any perlite to my mix because it eventually makes its way into my back yard.