What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Grow - POG & White Russian DWC

Diary
Overview:
This will be a DWC closet grow of three plants, (1) White Russian and (2) Pot of Gold (I think so, anyway, my clone person got confused when cutting them, so it’s all a guess until they start to flower and the smells differentiate them). I’ll be LSTing them as they go through the vegetative stage. I started out wanting to ScrOG them, but decided against it, as I just want to get my first crop out, then move on to the more complex methods and techniques.

Construction:
Each plant will be housed in it’s own 5 gallon bucket, wrapped in Reflectix insulating foam. Lids have been constructed by drilling a 3 inch hole in the top for a 3.5 inch net pot, screwed and zip tied into place from the bottom, and two 1/8 inch holes for airlines. 4 holes to be used by screen connecting arms have been predrilled as well (decided against the ScrOG, holes won’t be used). The lids have also been covered in Reflectix material and waterproofed.
Lighting will be accomplished by a 600W HPS bulb in an air-cooled hood all throughout the grow. I’m using a FutureBrite digital ballast, and hope to reap the rewards of the higher cost of this thing. Ducting will run from the right side of the hood to the ceiling, through the hole that used to be my overhead closet light, and into a 175 cfm CanFan which will then push the air through a CanFilter in the attic. This seems to do a really good job, as the light produces very little heat and I can feel quite a bit of air moving when I put my hand near the open end of the hood. We’ll see how it works when these girls get stinky! I’m using passive intake through regular DuPont A/C type filters.
I lined the inside of my closet with mylar sheeting for reflectivity, and lined the floor first with 2 mil painting dropsheets, then with Reflectix. No spills or anything should cause me problems here! A short wooden frame was built running along the floor to allow for the passive air inflow, and a tarp with zipper has been used for access and to seal the room off.

Procedure:
Holland Secret macronutrients will be used throughout the grow, and the HS feed chart will be adhered to fairly strictly. HS AAA Carboblast and Heavies will be used during the flowering cycle to enhance growth and produce potent buds. Some sort of root enhancing nutrient solution will be used, and the exact type may change throughout the grow. The grow room will be kept between 78-88 degrees fahrenheit, preferably around 85. pH will hover around 5.5 – 6.5 and will be checked using whatever method is available, at the beginning, it will be a pH test kit. The water in the buckets will be kept below 72 degrees by whatever method is possible. For the time being, frozen 20 oz or 1 L water bottles will be placed in the buckets at 4-8 hour intervals. (shorter intervals happened at the beginning, but lately {Week 2 Flower} I haven’t put that much emphasis on it, which seems to be OK)

Diary:

Monday August 21, 2006 – Approx.
- Clones still in rockwool, kept moist with a mixture of HS Prop-o-gator @ 4 mL/L and HS Super B+ @ 2 mL/L

Thursday August 24, 2006 – Approx.
- Clones moved into cloning box with vermiculite as medium.
- Water in the reservoir was HS Prop-o-gator @ 5 mL/L and HS Super B+ @ 2 mL/L.
- Roots are beginning to come out of the rockwool cubes quite nicely.

Monday August 28, 2006 – Vegetative – Day 1
- Clones were moved into their buckets.
- Each bucket had water up to the level of the net pots, and the mixture was as follows:
o HS Nitrogen – 3 mL per 4 L water
o HS Phosphorus – 2 mL per 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 1 mL per 4 L water
o HS Super B+ - 15 mL per 4 L water
o HS Prop-o-gator – 5 mL per L water
ß The measurements of NPK are directly from Holland Secret feed chart
- Light hood = 36 in. from buckets
- pH = approx. 6.0-6.5

Tuesday September 2, 2006 – Second feeding
- At this point, solid growth is showing in the branching and root systems of plants 2 and 3. Plant 1 is showing decent root growth, but fairly little branching and leaf growth is occurring. Hopefully this one will catch up to the others.
- The water level of plant 1 is again at the level of the net pots, but the levels of plants 2 and 3 are 1 L lower as their root growth allows it. Nutrient mixtures are as follows:
o HS Nitrogen – 5 mL per 4 L water
o HS Phosphorus – 3 mL per 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 2 mL per 4 L water
o HS Super B+ - Plants 1&2 : 15 mL per 4 L water Plant 3: Approx. 12 mL per 4 L water
o BB Root Juice – 3 mL per L water
- Light hood = 30 in. from buckets
- pH = approx. 6.0
- Room Temp. = 85.4 degrees
- Bucket Temp. = Approx. 70 degrees
- Relative Humidity = 48%-51%

Monday September 11, 2006 – Third Feeding
- All is looking well, lots of solid, compact growth. I’m suspecting a spider mite problem, but it may be something else. I’ll be spraying with a mixture of ground pepper powder, nicotine extract, and neem oil mixed with water to combat them. Also, I’ll place a HotShot No Pest Strip in the room.
- Nutrient mix as follows:
o HS Nitrogen – 10 mL per 4 L water
o HS Phosphorus – 5 mL per 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 3 mL per 4 L water
o BioBizz Root Juice – 3 mL per L water
- Light hood = approx. 26-28 in. from buckets
- PH = Approx. 6.0
- Room Temp. = 80.0 degrees
- Relative Humidity = 48%-51%

Wednesday September 13, 2006 – Top off
- Today I topped off the two larger plants with 1 L 1/2 strength nute solution each

Thursday September 14, 2006 – pH Issues
- Lately, I’ve been noticing some yellowing and holes in the leaves as well as some twisting, and mistook it for spider mites, but I check pH and found levels as high as 7.5, so I adjusted accordingly.

Friday September 15, 2006 – LST action
- I LSTed the left hand larger plant today, and it really seemed to help out in distributing the light. There is a much greater percentage of light being used on the plants, as opposed to having the sites in the middle of the plant sitting in shadows.
- The middle plant was also tied down to some extent, I think this one might get a screen of green.

Sunday September 17, 2006 – Fourth Feeding – last week of vegetative stage
- Hopefully this nutrient change will handle the pH problems the plants have been having. I’ll be checking the pH of the solution frequently now to avoid any big problems. I don’t want a nutrient lockout.
- Used the same ratios as last week, except less Root Juice. This will be the last week of using any root stimulators, they shouldn’t really need any more after this week.
- Cleaned the buckets using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach, as I suspect that the very basic bleach may have been the culprit in the pH issue.
o HS Nitrogen – 10 mL per 4 L water
o HS Phosphorus – 5 mL per 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 3 mL per 4 L water
o BioBizz Root Juice – 2 mL per L water

Monday September 18, 2006 – pH Check
- pH looked slightly high this morning, I’ll check again later.
- All is well, it seems

Wednesday September 20, 2006 – Flowering – Week 1
- Today I went ahead and changed the nutrients out to start flowering. I also set the timer to turn off at 7:30PM and start back the next day at 7:30AM, giving the girls 12 hours of darkness to begin the flowering cycle!
- Nutrients
o HS Nitrogen – 6 mL/ 4 L water
o HS Phosphorous – 6 mL/ 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 10 mL/ 4 L water
- Light hood = approx. 26 in. from buckets
- pH = approx. 5.7
- Room Temp. = 80 degrees
- Relative Humidity = 48%-50%

Sunday September 24, 2006 – Leaves showing nutrient problems, etc.
- I decided to leach the plants for a couple of days, as the leaves were showing some issues. The smaller middle plant was showing what looked like light bleaching on a couple of the leaves, but couldn’t have been that, as the light is too far away and barely produces any heat. The side plants had something else going on, the leaves were kind of bumpy in some places, yellowish brown spots/lines. Who knows... Hopefully the leach will get them back into shape so they can THRIVE!

Tuesday September 26, 2006 – Flowering – Week 2
- Moving right along, the plants haven’t gotten any worse as far as those previous symptoms are concerned, so I think that once I get these new nutrients in the buckets, they’ll bounce back and be healthier than ever!
- I’ve decided that the problems in the leaves were probably caused by nutrient build up or toxic salts since I wasn’t topping up the buckets regularly enough. I’ll start keeping the water level high by alternating straight pH-balanced tap water and 1/4 strength nutrients. I should probably have to top up twice a week, so the first time I’ll just add straight water, and the second time I’ll add the 1/4 strength nutrients.
- Also, the issues could have been caused by the fact that I used bleach to clean my buckets during the first 3 nutrient change-outs, and although I wiped them out, rinsed, them wiped again, the bleach leaves some kind of toxic build-up or heavy base that alters pH. I started using Hydrogen Peroxide last week and will continue that, so I’m sure that will help.
- I’m starting with the flowering additives this week, with AAA Carbo Blast.
- Nutrients
o HS Nitrogen – 4 mL/ 4 L water
o HS Phosporous – 7 mL/ 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 12 mL/ 4 L water
o HS AAA Carbo Blast – 1 gr./ 4 L water
- Light hood = Approx. 26-28 in. from buckets
- pH = approx. 5.5-5.8
- Room Temp. = 77 degrees (Winter is coming on and it’s cooling the room with it, which should be ok)
- Relative Humidity = Approx. 48%

Tuesday October 3, 2006 – Flowering – Week 3
- I’m really excited right now, because the plants are thriving and showing no signs of the problems that they were having before. I’ve been keeping a pretty tight watch on the pH, making sure that it stays in the 5.6-6.0 range, and have only had to adjust it once. Also, I’ve been topping the buckets up as I planned to, and all is looking well, I don’t think the leach slowed them down at all.
- You can really see the bud sites now, and it looks like lots of decent sized colas on the two larger plants, and some OK ones on the smaller girl. She has really taken off, and isn’t showing to be lagging too much behind the others.
- I’ve got a good half-pipe shape going on with the canopy right now, which is great, since that lets the buds on the sides grow up towards the heavier light concentration while the ones in the central area get approximately the same amount as they’re in the center with the most concentrated light. I’m only concerned that the far right and left sides aren’t getting as much light as they could be. I’ve raised the light to spread it out some more, but I feel like I’m losing intensity. I wish I had a light meter to get some readings… Maybe next time.
- The root systems are looking incredible; without a good root system, a plant can’t grow to its fullest extent.
- Nutrients (same as last week)
o HS Nitrogen – 4 mL/ 4 L water
o HS Phosporous – 7 mL/ 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 12 mL/ 4 L water
o HS AAA Carbo Blast – 1 gr./ 4 L water
- Light hood = Approx. 30-32 in. from buckets
- pH = 5.5-5.8
- Room Temp. = 75-77 degrees
- Bucket Temp. = Approx. 70-72 degrees (I haven’t been going out of my way to put frozen soda bottles in them lately, but it doesn’t seem to be causing any problems, since the closet is not all that hot anyway…)
- Relative Humidity = Approx. 55% (I’m not sure why the humidity has been so high lately, it could be due to the fact that I’m not using the A/C in the room in which the closet is located anymore. I might have to do something about this later…)
- All in all, I’m happy with the way the grow is going right now. As far as a first timer is concerned, I’d say I’m succeeding!

That must have been really boring to read, so here we go with some pictures. This might take a while. I'll be doing some editing...
Happy growing!

Last edited:
Here's the first round of photos. From now on, I'll post pics with the updates, which will hopefully happen a couple times a week. I know that I love to watch start to finish grows with all the details, so I figure mine might be of use to someone new to this hobby.

Last edited:
And these are from today Oct. 3, 2006... Hope this isn't too many pictures. I will take some of the roots when lights are back on tomorrow. Hope you enjoy my show!

Last edited:
By the way, is it safe to remove some of the leaves on these bushes? If so, how many should i worry about leaving? I understand the purpose of the leaves, and that removing them cuts down on the amount of photosynthesis that can take place, but I want the buds to be able to get lots of light, so how many can I remove before I see negative effects? I want to cut down on shadowing in the middle and lower sections of the plants. Thanks ahead of time!!!

Last edited:
Here's the latest... They're coming along really well. I can't believe how quickly the buds have started forming, it's amazing! I've raised the light some to get a wider footprint, and have taken off a few leaves a day from each plant; just the big ones that shade the most buds. I'm doing this slowly so that I don't shock the plants, and won't do it at all for about two weeks until the buds get big enough to pull in enough light for themselves. I might go nearly naked down below like in ScrOG grows. Pictures below!

Pictures from Fri, Oct. 6, 2006

Pictures from Fri, Oct. 6, 2006

Here's a shot of the roots on the largest plant and the smallest one, respectively. They're HUGE, and by the way, the coloring is slightly brown from some organic root stimulator I used (BioBizz Root Juice) and the photograph actually makes them look more brown...:

The rest are shots of the beautiful buds that are taking shape on these girls! I'm working on using the macro function on my camera, and I'm trying to find a way to light them for pictures without using the flash with the HPS off. Although the HPS sometimes makes them look like molten metal, which is cool, I want to do justice to the color of the plants!:

Enjoy, and as always, good luck

Tuesday October 10, 2006
- Everything’s looking good. The top leaves have been looking slightly burned lately, and I’ve raised the light up a significant amount, which gives much more spread out, although less concentrated, light.
- Had to top the buckets up at least 3 different times this week. I never had time to mix up nutrients when I topped up, but I’m going to start doing that from now on every other top up.
- I did a lot of trimming while I changed out the nutrients today, hopefully the plants will respond by producing much more growth up top where I want it. I trimmed any branches where the budsites looked less developed than most, and ended up with a plastic grocery bag filled up by all three plants.
- Sadly, I screwed up when I was lifting up the left hand side plant today, and bumped it’s largest cola into my circulation fan, snapping the stem about 2 inches down. One budsite came off and I splinted the break, so we’ll see what happens with that. Sad, sad thing…
- Nutrients
o HS Nitrogen – 3 mL / 4 L water
o HS Phosphorous – 8 mL / 4 L water
o HS Potassium – 14 mL / 4 L water
o HS AA Carbo Blast – 1 gr./ 4 L water
- Light hood = 41 in. from buckets
- pH = 5.4-5.8
- Room Temp. = 75-78 degrees
- Bucket Temp. = Approx. 70-72 degrees
- Relative Humidity = Approx. 46% (It’s back down low, where it should be during flower, I don’t want any mold problems. I know that low humidity brings on pests sometimes, but I don’t think that my room is contaminated with anything.

Pictures from October 12, 2006: Day 22 Flower

Pictures from October 12, 2006: Day 22 Flower

Here are some shots of them on Day 22! They're looking really good, and are starting to frost up a little bit. I'm really surprised at how far from the buds the trichs will still show up. There are some forming on the bases of large fan leaves, this will be great for hash!! I'm having fun here!!
Shot 1: Aerial Shot of all three (about 1 foot on each side is cut off in the pic)
Shot 2: A duct tape bandage on the largest cola on one of the plants, oops!
Shot 3: A pretty shot of one of the tops
Shot 4: Another budshot
Shot 5: This will one day be a forearm sized cola, and I can't wait!

Yikes, a big mistake happened recently... Apparently my timer has been acting funny. I noticed last night that the timer wasn't turning the lights off, as it's switch wasn't catching when the timer reached the off point. I found this out because I turned the timer manually about 5 minutes worth so that I could take some lights-off photos, and it didn't turn off. I just pulled the plug and went and bought another timer. I woke up an hour late (8:30 and the lights are supposed to go on at 7:30) but plugged them in with the new timer, but it has no "ground" connection, so it didn't work. I rechecked the old timer and played with it for a while, finally go it working... I'm hoping that that hour this morning doesn't throw the girls off. If you're reading this, please give me some peace of mind, ha! Good luck to me! Adios, there will be some new pictures posted when I get off of work in a bit.

Day 24 Flower - Kinda whack

Day 24 Flower - Kinda whack

Well, I don't know what the deal is, but two of the uppermost buds on my plant that is under the fan have begun to look weird, as if the hairs have started to shrivel up somewhat. These are getting the air from the fan blown directly onto them, and one is the bud that I cracked by hitting it on the fan. I'm not sure what to attribute this to, but it's probably the fact that I knocked the buds on the fan. Who knows. Here are pictures to describe what I'm talking about. It's only two budsites at the tops of colas. I'm not too worried about it.

Room temps are pretty chilly, I might downsize on the circ fan so that the room stays at around 75-85 as opposed to 80ish right under the light and 70 just under the canopy...
I'm also getting some light bleaching on the girl on the right, the biggest one. I raised the hood up 2 inches to fix it. Man I'm having to raise this thing all the time as they are still stretching. They should stop soon, though, since I'm almost at the end of 4 weeks flowering. Enjoy life, folks!

Flowering - Week 5 started

Flowering - Week 5 started

Tuesday October 17, 2006 – Day 27 Flowering
- Everything is going really well, growth seems fairly slow, but in comparison to other pictures I’ve seen, it’s comparable or better than others, so I’m not worried. I’m pretty sure they’re done with stretching, and the buds should start fattening up soon. They’re getting frosty with trichomes now, and it’s starting to smell beautiful in the closet! None of the smell is escaping either, which I’m very happy with.
- Only about 40 days or so left. I plan to flower approximately 56 days and flush for another 7, but it all depends on what the trichs are looking like. I bought a 60X-100X microscope from Radio Shack to watch their progress. I’ll be harvesting some of them when the trichs are cloudy, and the rest when they’re about 40-50% amber, that way I’ll have the chance to test out what I really like.
- I’ve also got a friend in the garden now, I found a lady bug in my bedroom (there are several now, I think I’ll put them in, too) and put her in the growroom, can’t do any harm…
- I’ve done a lot of trimming lately, and have kept the most developed buds to try and make some ISO. I’ll try that in a couple days when they’re fully dried out. I doubt that I’ll get even a hit, but it will be practice for later!
- Also, I found a leaf that had fallen into my net pot, got wet and eventually started to mold. Should this pose a problem for my plants? There is some mold at the base of one of their trunks, but it hasn't actually affected the plant, anything that was growing there was on pieces of fallen plant matter. We'll see what happens.
o Nutrients
ß HS Nitrogen – 3 mL / 4 L water
ß HS Phosphrous – 8 mL / 4 L water
ß HS Potassium – 16 mL / 4 L water
ß HS AAA Carbo Blast – 1 gr. / 4 L water
ß HS The Heavies (first application) – 1 gr. / 4 L water
- Light hood = 46 in. from buckets (around 1.5-2 ft. from plant tops)
- pH = 5.4-5.8
- Room Temp. = 77-83 degrees
- Bucket Temp. = Approx. 70-72 degrees
- Relative Humidity = Approx. 48%

Pictures below:!

Last edited:
Pictures from around Day 27 Flower

Pictures from around Day 27 Flower

Some pretty buds

A wannabe cola

Filling in nicely

A new arrival

Here's that leaf that had the mold on it. Look at that sketchy mold! AHH!

froth

Oh my god those are beasts!!! That 600 W light is really belting out that light on those DWCs and they're loving it! Good Luck stealth, this is just the beginning of the fun! Over the next few weeks you'll be shittin yourself

Great job on the first grow.. I hope it yields a lot because it looks like you put a lot of time and money into this!

Most definitely, money and time seem to disappear now that I'm growing, but I expect the cash to be recharged after this grow. I've spent around $1600 on all the gear, which is a pretty nice chunk of change, but I figure at the worst I'll get 3 ounces/plant, meaning 10 or so, which is great. I have great things in store for the future. I have drawn out plans for a custom sealed w/ CO2 "half-cage" closet grow with (2) x 600w HPS in DIY cool tubes and also a true aero grow pod or possibly an NFT-Aero hybrid. We'll see what happens, but I'm trying to pump out heavy quantities for two more grows before I move out of my rental house. That way when I move into the next place, I might have the cash to get a place with an extra room just for this purpose. Hmmm, the possibilities are endless! Thanks to all for the kind words!

Last edited:
10oz? that might be a little high for your first grow I mean its considered pretty good if you get .5g per watt of light. At your standards thats .46 gpw If you get everything dialed in correctly though you do have a good run at getting that 10oz.

I haven't really run into any problems yet that I could expect reduced yields from, and from the looks of the plants, things are dialed in fairly well. But... you're definitely right that since this is my first grow, I shouldn't expect too much, as I'll constantly be learning how to tweak things to make the grow better. That said, I have spent so much time comparing my setup to others and increasing the efficiency of the growroom, conditions are damn near perfect, but I do wish I had better light penetration lower into the canopy. (Oh, and CO2, but that's for next time) A mistake I made was to veg these monsters for too long, they've almost totally filled in the space I've given them, and crowd each other somewhat. Oh well, only time will tell! Here's the latest...

Last edited:
Day 34 Flower

Day 34 Flower

Tuesday October 24, 2006 – Day 34 Flowering
- Ok, so the bud growth is starting to come on well now. I’m finally starting to see the buds starting to swell and not just get frosty. They’re incredibly sticky now, and I’ve started keeping the little buds and leaves that I cut off so that I can make hash later. I’m going to do an ISO run with the trim that I have now as soon as it dries, just to see what I’ll get. I’m getting ready to order a BHO tube and possibly a set of BubbleBags for later! I can’t wait for this, I LOVE HASH!
o Nutrients
ß HS Nitrogen – 2 mL / 4 L water
ß HS Phosphrous – 8 mL / 4 L water
ß HS Potassium – 18 mL / 4 L water
ß HS AAA Carbo Blast – 1 gr. / 4 L water
ß HS The Heavies (first application) – 1 gr. / 4 L water
- Light hood = 46 in. from buckets (around 1.5-2 ft. from plant tops)
- pH = 5.3-5.8
- Room Temp. = 75 degrees
- Bucket Temp. = Approx. 65-67 degrees (Winter is amazing! It’s taken so much work off of my shoulders now that I don’t have to switch out frozen bottles twice a day! The water stays at around 66, and sometimes floats up a little and I’ll throw a bottle in. Oh yea!)
Relative Humidity = Approx. 38% (This is getting low, which I am definitely down with, it’ll make a less desirable environment for mold.)
- Things are falling into place nicely, and I’m starting to get antsy with only 2-3 weeks left. From the experiences of others, I’ve learned that POG takes a little longer than 8 weeks, so I’ll be watching them closely. Also, I found out that all 3 plants are Pot of Gold, the smell makes it unmistakable, really skunky and pungent! That’ll be all for now. Hope everyone’s doing well!

king_taco

i bookmarked this one so that i could come back to finish reading it.

so far it look and sounds like you are doing allight.

but..... it's what day 40 now? i think its time for more bud porn :chin:

i look forward to seeing where this ends up yeild wise, till then keep growing

~~Grow Free~~
king_taco

Latest posts

Latest posts