What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Commercial Buds, or, WTF is this anyway?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Not my picture, but the buds in question look just like this:

picture.php

Having grown and seen many buds the last 30 years,
I'm wondering how one grows buds that look like this.

In all the threads here on icmag, have only seen stash
like this once or twice.

I was gifted a few grams of this cultivar, and it has many
interesting qualities.

The high is simple, one direction, nothing deep, but
long lasting. The smell is lemon pine up front with diesel
filling the room as combusted. Flavor is hash and expansive,
could bust a lung if not careful on the draw.

On the second session we toked some thunk cob after the
mystery bud and that cleared the headspace easily.

No hangover, so that's nice. Not a day ender, but if you
relaxing at the end of the day, won't have any trouble
sleeping.

Since it's been in the jar the lime color has faded to
what I think of as earthlike bud, terps still present.

Is this what consumers look for, or is it an anomoly/boutique thing.

Brother Nature

I see bud like that quite a lot, even matching the description. When I've seen it it was from a specific grower and pretty much all his stuff fit that description and looks, regardless of strain. I knew he grew in hydro and used a lot of additive nutes, so my guess would be a certain plant growth regulator coupled with a different drying/curing process? But I don't know for certain, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in cause I'd like to know too.

Leaflet

I'm wondering how one grows buds that look like this.

In all the threads here on icmag, have only seen stash
like this once or twice.

I have buds that are all different sizes, densities and colors. I can't figure out from your photo what is significantly different. Can you explain what feature it is you are looking for?

X

xavier7995

Yeah. Not quite sure what you are looking at, looks like regular weed to me. I would assume a machine trim. Some varieties are a bright green, when i first saw imported CA stuff there was some so neon green we had a hard time convincing people it was weed. Packed em a hitter and they then knew why it was pricey compared to the local stuff.

deepwaterdude

In France, I used to get a lot of weed from A'Dam that looked like that. And wasn't always good, or even close to good. There were some people adding a kieflike substance to the bags to make them look more potent. That's what this looks like.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Obviously been compressed....
Not a lot, but more like a bud from the bottom of a plastic bin of buds that had been packed fairly tight by hand..

I prefer my buds a bit more fluffy, like how they look when they're dry and still hanging on the drying branch..

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah the only thing that kinda-sorta-halfway looks like it might be what you are referring to as an anomaly is the fact that it's compressed. It looks like the way my popcorn lower larfy buds look when I sort of "squeeze" them while still partially wet, so that they will look more like regular buds and not turn into shake in the jar. Is that what you're referring to? They might have been at the bottom of a bin, like Bud Green said, or they might have been intentionally compressed for whatever reason, but I'm not sure why that would be desirable.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Buds I have grown:

Thunk:

picture.php

F2 03 02, a cross of unknown x (sensi star x nycd):

picture.php

zamaldelica:

picture.php

Any one of these I have grown is superlative to the buds I was gifted.

However, some of the folks I have shared the "commercial" with have stated that it is top shelf.

I have had requests to purchase of the F2 03 02 by the pound, but have declined due to many factors.

There are cuttings of the F2 03 02 floating around.

No one has made such a request of the "commercial" bud, lol

I'm sharing to note the visual differences, terpenes and effect are very good.

I will reply to all in a few days as my time here on icmag is limited lately