What's new

This is the best way to seal mills pride cabinets without weatherstripping...

The hardest part about sealing mills pride cabinets is the tricky area around the door hinges.

For this area, I have found that a 1 - 1.5 inch wide strip of black white ploy works well. I run plastic strip down the side of the door behind the hinges, black side facing the crack of the door, white side facing in towards the inside of the cabinet.

Then take a pencil, ruler, qtip and push the plastic into the crack of the door (just be careful not to use too much force and pierce the plastic).

Use aluminum tape (the kind used on hvac ducting work) to seal the poly to the cabinet door. It is much stronger than duct tape and its adhesive is resistant to both heat and moisture.

When you open and close the door, the play in the plastic will allow the door to open/close freely with no light leaks.

Just make sure not to push the plastic too far into the crack, or the excess will stick out when the door is closed, making it look a little odd.

For the top and bottom of the cabinet, I stapled a strip of black velcro to the edge of the cabinet where the doors make contact, and another strip to the actually cabinet doors. Not only will this seal your cabinet from light leaks, but it will also keep yours doors closed snugly. My tot locks do this already, but not everyone has them.

I have built a few cabinets before, and I have yet to find something that works so well.

Weatherstripping sucks and comes off sooner or later, as does duct tape and foil tape alone.

Cliffs: Foil tape + black/white poly/velcro for the win.

DeadlyFoez

WHOA WHOA!!! Too much work. you should have just used roles of felt. it took me about 20 minutes to seal up my cabinet and make it light leak proof. A little glue and some tacks. I used and electric staple gun that shoots out brad nails for the second cab that I built and it looks perfectly clean, and I didn't have to resort to meticulous cutting and cramming and foil tape.

Rolls of felt was 5/8" wide and already perfect for this application.

Too much work for something that could be done so much simpler, and cheaper too.

DeadlyFoez

I had to goto "Big Lots". It's one of those cheapo dollar store type places that sells cheap tools and stuff and crappy furniture.

What I did is I put together my cab. One the thin edge facing out, 4 edges, I ran my felt along that edge so when I close the doors, the doors press against it. Then on the edge that the doors meet, on one door I lined with felt.

I also bought 4 cupboard magnets from Home Depot and had then so they would pull the top and bottom of the 2 doors at about 2" away from where the 2 doors meet so I could leave room for a locking mechanism. It will seal all the way around once you adjust you hinges correctly. I'd advise you'd get someon to help you.

You also have to close both doors at the same time as to not make one peel the felt of the other.

But I came up with this idea for the felt because I was trying to find the cleanest way of doing is so things wouldn't look ghetto.

But go and buy an electric staple gun, the kind that shoots brad nails, and even if you return it when your done, because it will make short time of it.

G

Here ya go....cheap and easy with absolutely no light leaks. Check out the flashing at the bottom....the weather strip is on the outside edge. It makes a great seal and negetive cabinet pressure is easily done. The hinge sides of the door are done with panda-paper and foil tape. Works great.
For the seam in the front you need to hang a 2 piece curtain of panda-paper.
I tested it by turing off all the lights in the room ...perfect...now Im ranting. :pointlaug

Seed

PS-DeadlyFoez.....your flash-job looks close to mine....

Last edited:

DeadlyFoez

Still, too much work and too many things to step on, rip, break, get in your way, mess up and go wrong for the same desired effect as what I did, plus it looks a lot cleaner in my opinion.

to each his own.

wickedpete66

I did almost the same except I used black duct tape on the outside of the doors hingesand then covered that up with white duct tape to match the cab. been like that for over a year now with no leaks

Latest posts

Latest posts