What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED lights really increase terpenes ?

ZIO GREEN

OUTLAW
Veteran
Is it true that the LED lights really increase terpenes production?
They also increase the production of trichomes and THC compared to mh/hps?
Or are they just legends?

hopesluck

there are a few comparison videos about this subject. just youtube hps vs led. all the videos mention that the led side is more frosty and sticky with a longer lasting high and it also smells better bc of the calcium and sugar uptake to create more crystals caused by leds to better protect itself from the leds' direct light.
i never grown hps so i cant put my own view on it. flouros and leds are all i ever messed with, since i cant use a lot of wattage so i have to go with better efficiency

Yes, you'll end up with more terpenes, because the temperature is lower, so less terpenes are emitted (lost)
and because the vertical potential gradient is lower so you are less likely to burn the terpenes.

GG4 is a good example of what can be achieved with lower temperatures and VPG.

Bubbleblower is absolutely correct...LED fixtures will not produce more terpenes per se, rather because of the lower temps (HID bulbs runs between 550-600 degrees), most of the monoterpenes do not reach their boiling point, thus are preserved. Case in point, using the Stealth Grow 1250 HD LED with Sour Diesel (a strain that we all know well) produced a final product like I have never experienced before...it was like consuming cannabis again for the first time. Pure love. Remind you, monoterpenes are incredibly important to effect. HOWEVER, the overall flower yields were an utter disaster...so bad, that I did not break-even with my input cost. But for a small connoisseur home hobbyist, where all quality is more important than quantity, (especially those in states that are not so kind to our kind)...LED is a terrific fixture. I still believe LED fixtures have a WAY to go...but if there is one brand that could change the tides...perhaps Parus could be the solution. Good luck!

ZIO GREEN

OUTLAW
Veteran
Many thanks to all!
So the main cause of the increased production of terpenes and resin is the temperature , or also the light?
If it were only the temperature could get similar results in a grow room with conditioner , hps and Cooltube ?

timmur

Many thanks to all!
So the main cause of the increased production of terpenes and resin is the temperature , or also the light?
If it were only the temperature could get similar results in a grow room with conditioner , hps and Cooltube ?

Probably not as HID in general and HPS in particular throw more infrared which will make the surface of the plant hotter all other things equal.

angelgoob

It needs to be intense and have the right spectrum.

A plant already knows to deliver high terpenes.

I have a theory that HPS volatlizes terpenes and they evaporate.