What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Nim~Tree in Hydro ?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've always enjoyed growing just about anything that caught my eye over the years..
From Peppers to veggies to Bonsai trees and lots of things between.
I've never really been one to get into why or how,I simply did...
Until I started growing marijuana that is.. lol
That's another story tho...

I've wanted to add something eles to my indoor grow for awhile.
Something Mites and such are not fond of...

Was going to go with marigold then....

On 11/18/13 I came across a couple little Nim Trees and had to jump on it... Given from what I can find on them. They do well in a humid, warm environments. I figured..Why not...

picture.php

View image in gallery

11/24/13

1/4/14

As you can see I added them to my pools with my other plants being flooded for 2 minutes every 90 minutes with Jacks Hydro for at 1.5 EC...RH 60-70% Temps 75-80
Under a 400w mh ~ 24/7 lighting.

Started growing good and you can see roots on the bottom of the DIY Air pots which are filled with Turface ~ calcined clay..
They seem to be doing better since I moved them under the canopy of the ladies.

So im wondering if any one has seen or done something like this with Nim trees ?

As you can see I also added a Mini rose bush about 2 weeks ago and the 1st blossom is about to show up... Nice!!!

Guess it's an Auto rose... lol
Wondering what color she is...

Would anyone know how they might do under 12/12 lighting ?

Im heading into flower mode come the 10th and wonder if I should
take them out of the pots and toss them directly into the pools.
Let the roots be free to go big....
Im going to try and clones off these, once they are big enough...

Any thoughts or Information would be appreciated...

I figured they needed their own show and I will update this thread from time to time...

Thanks for taken a look....

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
I've always enjoyed growing just about anything that caught my eye over the years..
From Peppers to veggies to Bonsai trees and lots of things between.
I've never really been one to get into why or how,I simply did...
Until I started growing marijuana that is.. lol
That's another story tho...

I've wanted to add something eles to my indoor grow for awhile.
Something Mites and such are not fond of...

Was going to go with marigold then....

On 11/18/13 I came across a couple little Nim Trees and had to jump on it... Given from what I can find on them. They do well in a humid, warm environments. I figured..Why not...

11/24/13

1/4/14

As you can see I added them to my pools with my other plants being flooded for 2 minutes every 90 minutes with Jacks Hydro for at 1.5 EC...RH 60-70% Temps 75-80
Under a 400w mh ~ 24/7 lighting.

Started growing good and you can see roots on the bottom of the DIY Air pots which are filled with Turface ~ calcined clay..
They seem to be doing better since I moved them under the canopy of the ladies.

So im wondering if any one has seen or done something like this with Nim trees ?

As you can see I also added a Mini rose bush about 2 weeks ago and the 1st blossom is about to show up... Nice!!!

Guess it's an Auto rose... lol
Wondering what color she is...

Would anyone know how they might do under 12/12 lighting ?

Im heading into flower mode come the 10th and wonder if I should
take them out of the pots and toss them directly into the pools.
Let the roots be free to go big....
Im going to try and clones off these, once they are big enough...

Any thoughts or Information would be appreciated...

I figured they needed their own show and I will update this thread from time to time...

Thanks for taken a look....

thanks for taking the time to post this neem tree experiment your currently under way with..ive never seen an actual need plant before......Imo i wouldent tp directly into your tub because after all it tis a tree..if u maintain the size by pruning is should be out of the way of your other girls, but the catch 22 is the roots on almost any tree are very invasive at a certain age the root system of the neem tree would over run the tub.IMHO id let her hang out with the girls but wouldent tp in the tub.....
as for 12/12 the neem tree is natice to india pakistan and parts of iran....she should be able to tolerate any heat u can throw at her as for photoperiod it should be fine the worst case is it will force flower....
oh btw that rose bush looks awesome

..ive used citrosa germaniums in my garden before to ward off insects and it worked fine....absolute best of luck to ya your a ambitious grower and we need more people like u around this site.....
i hope i helped out at least a little......much respect:tiphat:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for taking the time to post this neem tree experiment your currently under way with..ive never seen an actual need plant before......Imo i wouldent tp directly into your tub because after all it tis a tree..if u maintain the size by pruning is should be out of the way of your other girls, but the catch 22 is the roots on almost any tree are very invasive at a certain age the root system of the neem tree would over run the tub.IMHO id let her hang out with the girls but wouldent tp in the tub.....
as for 12/12 the neem tree is natice to india pakistan and parts of iran....she should be able to tolerate any heat u can throw at her as for photoperiod it should be fine the worst case is it will force flower....
oh btw that rose bush looks awesome

..ive used citrosa germaniums in my garden before to ward off insects and it worked fine....absolute best of luck to ya your a ambitious grower and we need more people like u around this site.....
i hope i helped out at least a little......much respect:tiphat:

Glad you stopped in Vince... Nice to meet you....:tiphat:
It's the 1st time Ive seen Nim trees myself..lol
Those citrosa germaniums you speak of have a great flower to them... Did they blossom a few times in your run ?

Good point on the roots...
I have them in DIY air pots ATM buried but if need be can be on top for air pruning...lol I need to get them into real Air pots as well..
Just waiting for the root ball to form as they are in pure turface and I don't want to stall them when transplanting...

I have no Idea how this will go but looks good so far...

My roses are red apparently and I swear I see frost on them... hahaha....

:biggrin:

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
Glad you stopped in Vince... Nice to meet you....:tiphat:
It's the 1st time Ive seen Nim trees myself..lol
Those citrosa germaniums you speak of have a great flower to them... Did they blossom a few times in your run ?

Good point on the roots...
I have them in DIY air pots ATM buried but if need be can be on top for air pruning...lol I need to get them into real Air pots as well..
Just waiting for the root ball to form as they are in pure turface and I don't want to stall them when transplanting...

I have no Idea how this will go but looks good so far...

My roses are red apparently and I swear I see frost on them... hahaha....

:biggrin:
equally nice to meet ya aliendawg
everything looks great.... for my citrosa it flowered only once and it through a vinelike shoot and tiny pink flowers emerged it was actually kinda nice..the large flowers your reffering to i think is a hisbiscus dark waxy green leaves and they shoot off huge pink/white/reddins flowers.....speaking of flowers is that the rare elusive resin producing rose i see...:biggrin: very nice looks like the bulb is almost ready to fully open

just curious but does the neem plant/tree have any smell resemblance to the oil derived from her? i think the need oil is pressed from the seeds of the tree or was it the bark im not 100% on that one........either way lookin great ...im tagged for the show:tiphat:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
equally nice to meet ya aliendawg
everything looks great.... for my citrosa it flowered only once and it through a vinelike shoot and tiny pink flowers emerged it was actually kinda nice..the large flowers your reffering to i think is a hisbiscus dark waxy green leaves and they shoot off huge pink/white/reddins flowers.....speaking of flowers is that the rare elusive resin producing rose i see...:biggrin: very nice looks like the bulb is almost ready to fully open

just curious but does the neem plant/tree have any smell resemblance to the oil derived from her? i think the need oil is pressed from the seeds of the tree or was it the bark im not 100% on that one........either way lookin great ...im tagged for the show:tiphat:
Thanks for the 411..
Haha if the neem does have odor. It's being a little overwhelmed ATM...

They are starting to form a harden (tree) main stem bark...

Hope I can get more than one set of flowering rose buds this season...

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alternatives to chemical pesticides
By Sudhir Dahiya

Increasing pressure of population per unit area has created many problems for traditional cultivation. The shrinking land resources have necessitated redoubling efforts for enhancing agricultural production. It is not easy since several ecological, economic and sociological problems are being faced on the farm front. Insects, pests, diseases and weeds are important biotic constraints influencing 20 to 25 per cent loss in agriculture production. Synthetic pesticides have played a key role in declining most of these problems. However, their indiscriminate use has created several problems like pesticide resistance insects, contamination of food by toxic chemicals, resurgence of pests and acute effects on non-target organisms.

Recent experiences in intensive cropping shows the necessity of new natural compounds as alternative to chemical pesticides. These botanical pesticides being less persistent in environment, safe to mammals and pollinators like honey bees, butterflies and other non-target organisms. These are cheaper than synthetic pesticides and their crude extracts are easy to prepare even by farmers. The worldover stress is switched on to plant-originated insecticides. Many plant species are found in our forests which yield these insecticides. It is a matter of great proud that many of them are found in India.

Neem is the most promising source of bio-pesticide. It owes its toxic attributes to a large number of insecticidal compounds like azardirachitin, nimbin, meliacins, salanin, meliantriol, etc, among which azardirachitin is the most potent one. Though all the plant parts possess insecticidal properties, yet they are more pronounced in seed kernels. Neem seed kernels are the richest source of meliacins and contains 0.2 to 0.3 per cent azardirachitin and 30 to 40 percent oil, though neem leaves, seed coat and bark also contain these but in smaller amount. The insecticides obtained from neem have been found effective against more than 200 pests, insects, of agricultural, horticultural, vegetable crops and house hold pests like locusts, grass hoppers, catterpillars, stem borers, pod borers, beetles, jassids, aphids, mealybugs, whiteflies, plant hoppers, fruit flies and mosquitoes. Neem products are highly photodegrable ensuring their non-resistance in the environment. These also do not induce pest resurgence unlike other synthetic pesticides. Insect developing resistance to single active compounds of synthetic pesticides may not be able to develop resistance to neem compounds as they contain numerous bio-active principles.

Sweet flag is another promising plant. Locally, it is called-”gorbach” or “vacha”. This is marsh herb resembles elephant grass. It grows throughout India up to an elevation of 200 metres. The leaves and root of the plant yield an insecticide which is effective against number of crop pests, stored grain pests, textile pests and household pests.

Garlic acts as repellent to various pests. It can be inter-cropped to prevent pests. Garlic is planted as a border around the field and gardens. It is grown around fruit trees to repel borers. The extract of garlic cloves is used as spray and powder can also be dusted on plants to check pests attacks. The powder of dried garlic leaves, mixed with ash protect materials in storage.

Pyrethrum is another promising plant-originated insecticide. It is obtained from the flowers of an ornamental flower called chrysanthemum cinerarifolium (guldaudi). It has guide knock effect and is effective against a number of insects and pests. It is highly photo degradable and does not persist in the environment and is relatively safe to mammals.

Rotenone is derived from the roots of derris eliptica and derris lonchocarpus. Before the entry of synthetic insecticides in the market, it was being widely used for the control of pests of vegetables, fruits and ornamental crops. It has been used as a traditional fish poison since the past 300 years. It is very effective against household and kitchen garden pests. It is also effective against livestock pests like lice and rat fleas.

The crushed roots of marigold provide good control of root knot nematode, when applied to soil. The extract from roots of marigold is also effective against larvae of yellow fever mosquito.

The seed extract of custard apple (annona squamosa) is efficacious against diamond back moth.

Ryania is bio-active compound extracted from ryania speciosa. It is largely used to control codling moth on apples by organic growers.

The seed extract of grape fruit can be used to control colarado potato beetle and bark extract of darek (melia azedarch) act as potent antifeedants against tobacco caterpillar and gram pod borer.

The other plants which possess insecticidal properties include lemon grass, argemon mexicana cassia, artemisia, tulsi, sigesbekia, bandh (samhaloo), tirmir back eye tree, cashew tree, pannior vetiver grass and certain essential oils obtained from the plants like citronello, lemon grass, cassia, cleve, pine needle, perpuntive, comphor and thyme also possess insecticidal properties.

Some weeds like lantana, milk-weed, etc. also contain toxic compounds, their utilisation in pest control can serve twin purposes of pest and weed control.

India was a vast wealth of plants, which are rich source of bio-active compounds and several more might still be lying unexplored. While investigation for more source of botanicals will continue, the concerted efforts are needed to make the available compounds more potent against pest and more safe to environment by way of improved formulation. Sometimes farmers may also have inhibition for use of botanicals because they may have impression that simple, inexpensive and easy to prepare are inferior to synthetic pesticides. The awareness of farmer about the advantage of botanical over synthetic pesticides needs to be created in this regard. These botanical pesticides in harmonious integration with other safe method of pests control like biological control, trap crops, cultural practices, etc. can provide environment friendly and economically viable means of pest control in the near future.

Just a good read I came across....

So here we are 6 months later...
I've taken these tress though a cycle of
Veg/flower/harvest/veg light cycles...

All the while being feed nothing but Jacks Hydro...

Overall... Not the way to go about growing these...lol

Im surprised by the lack of roots...
Looks like they only grew a few feeders...

They did handle the rough conditions well....
As the ladies grew tall the lights moved higher and the Nim trees
were left shaded for quite awhile... During which they stopped all growth and simply maintained... As soon as the lights were brought closer once again,they took off... Da,right...lol

Was fun and I've placed one in soil and if all goes well with it the other will get the same...

This concludes the hydo-Nim tree-portion of the show...
Thanks for tuning in...

D.U.D.E...

Latest posts

Latest posts