What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

trying to diagnose what i believe to be a precursor to deficiency

D

Durdy

Hello! For the most part my plants are healthy, there's some minor discoloration at the tips of the leaves, and some lower leaves are turning yellow. ATM not a huge issue, just want to make sure it doesn't turn into one. I think it might be a Ca deficiency but I'm unsure.

SOIL - Outdoor
How long has this problem been going on? Two weeks
What STRAIN are you growing? Blue Dream, J-one, Romulan
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) Clone
What is the age of your plants? 3 months
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 3 months
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before? No, Unsure
How Tall are the plants? 4 - 5 feet
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?Flower
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) LST, FIM
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)65gal, one subject
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)own mix 50% coco (black gold Just coir)30%Aztec Perlite, 10% EBston EWC, 10% compost
What brand Nutrient's are you using?Sunleaves Bat guanos, Earth juice molasses,
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*Get a high P guano tea once a week
How often are you feeding? Once a week
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?Once flowers were visible
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)random each time
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?Don't check
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?Don't check
How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS? Never
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?None
How often are you watering?Daily 2.5 gallons
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?Friday, once a week
What size bulb are you using?Outdoor
How old is your bulbs? -
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) 20 - 30%
What is the canopy temperature? Varies
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 60 - 100 F
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)Whatever the wind decides
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Big open greenhouse doors and windows
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? No Fan
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?Yes
Is your water HARD or SOFT?Hard
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?Tap run through are ion filter
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen) -
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen) -
Are you using water from a water softener? No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?BT caterpillar killer
Are plant's infected with pest's? Lady Bugs, spiders, some other outdoor critters.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
yellow leaf is a nitro def... and it looks like you possibly burnt the tips and/or a calcium deffieciency may be occuring hard to tell without whole plant pics...

D

Durdy

Ask and you shall recieve

Ask and you shall recieve

Below is the J-one, between the three plants with some mild discoloration this has the least amount of the brown on the tips but the most of the yellowing leaves, they are only on lower branches though, I do believe it is a N def and will be adding a little fish emulsion to the equation this week.
picture.php

Below is the Blue Dream, not to many yellow leaves going on on the lower branches and the brown on the tips is isolated to the tips, unlike the romulan which has it starting to creep down the sides of the leaf about a 1/2 cm
picture.php

Below is the rom, she has some lower leaves yellowing and is has the most advanced browning of the three on the tips and sides of leaves, as well as some brown spots in the middle of the leaf.

Hope this helps!
picture.php

Friend

Veteran
Those plants look plenty happy to me, if i were in your shoes i would hit them lightly with something that has nitrogen and not worry too much. A few old leaves turning yellow down low on the plant is really no cause for alarm, in my experience. Just pluck them off or let them fall off, and continue as you normally would

Shafto

You also have some thrips I think, I can see the damage from them on the leaves.

They're not too terribly destructive though and doesn't look like you have them bad. Might not want to bother spraying for them at this point if you don't see too much damage going on, but I'd definitely get rid of them for next round.

medicalmj

Veteran
You also have some thrips I think, I can see the damage from them on the leaves.

There is a leaf that looked like mite damage. it's the pic where its covering the hand (leaf is green and pointing dowm). Might want to double check some more leaves to be sure tho.

Last edited:
D

Durdy

I've been checking the bottoms of leaves for mites, I noticed the damage as well, haven't physically seen any though. There are some lady bugs in there so hopefully they keep them in check. I'll probably give them a good spray with some spinosad next week, I feel bad about killing the lady bugs with that too though.

Haven't seen any thrips but I'll give them a good look later on today.

I'm gonna give the J-one a light feed with fish emulsion tomorrow morning, it has the most yellowing leaves.

Whats the consensus on a Ca deficiency? Theres a good amount of EWC and Compost in the soil mix, which to my beliefs should be a sufficient source of Ca for this round of flowers. Also I believe theres a decent amount of Ca in my water, we have a filter but it's not an RO filter it's supposed to leave certain minerals in the water. the website description says the filter keeps the Ca in the bicarbonate form? You can check it out at the link below
http://www.clfree.com/whole_house_general.htm

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Latest posts