What's new

Do you use water polymer crystals?

Dubya

I know there's a lot of outdoor guys who use them, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding out how to use them and how much to use. Site searches and web searches mention them but don't say how to apply for outdoors.

What is the best way to apply them?

How much should I use?

I been vegging a few gals indoors for a while and am ready to bring them outside. I got no rain in the forecast so I'm thinking it would really be helpful till they get some roots. Should I mix it into the soil and also put some at the bottom of my hole?

Any help appreciated...

Phantomx

My rule of thumb is to apply 25g per 50L of soil for crystals that can take 200 times more water than its own weight. This is the 50% dosage, so you can add 50g if you want.

I mix them with the soil.

Hope that helps.

Dubya

Yeah I know people have warned about not using too much because it may cause root rot. Definitely don't want to overdo it.

I have 2x2 holes that are 1 foot deep. Not sure how many liters that equals.

Do you just mis them in evenly with the soil, or put them under your plant before you transplant?

supermanlives

Veteran
first time i used them i didnt follow directions . you should . i proceeded to water my plant and watch it magically uproot itself . fucking thing came bursting out of the soil. and there is several kinds of chrystals some aint as good as others .

Dubya

Oh damn that's hilarious dude! Def wanna make sure I don't do that.

I got the only ones they had at the store they are miracle grow brand.

thaicat

I dig my hole, fill and then mix ''a handful or two'' in with a Garden Claw. That's with the average hole being about 40 gallons. Realistically, I probably add about 4 cups per 40-50 gallons of soil.

Dubya

Well 1x2x2ft = 4cu ft = 120 liter.

As I said above, I mix them with the soil.

I dig my hole, fill and then mix ''a handful or two'' in with a Garden Claw. That's with the average hole being about 40 gallons. Realistically, I probably add about 4 cups per 40-50 gallons of soil.

Thanks guys that helps a lot. Phantom I totally missed you saying you mix it with the soil. I got weed vision I guess hehe.

HOVAH2.0

i always activate my polymers before i add to the medium.
water fill in 5 gal bucket
add polymers,
add GH floralicous plus
wait 6 hours for polymers to expand
grab a hand full of polymers
add to the bottom of hole or bag
back fill with soil
ive never tasted any plastic from using polymers in the soil.
this also ensures you dont add too much polymers, it can happen, ive done it before.