What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Still for recycling alcohol

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure those of ya'll whom have purchased high purity Ethanol have noticed that it isn't cheap with all the taxes heaped upon it, so here is how I recover and reuse most of mine that I've already paid over $20 a liter for.

What I use , is a simple pot still made out of an All Clad stainless asparagus steamer pot, a Quisinart electric fondue pot, and a stainless mixing bowl, in which I have inserted 12 1/2 feet of 3/16" ID copper tubing.

The salad bowl condenser rests on a modified cat liter bucket, over an empty 1.75 liter Clear Springs bottle for final collection.

The only modification to the Quisinart was to bend the ears of the top fork ring down, to permit the insertion of the asparagus pot, and placed canning jar lid rings in the bottom, to suspend the asparagus pot above the bottom, so as to eliminate hot spots.

I like the Quisinart, because of its sensitive controls for alchemy, but for distillation application, its controls are wide open, until I throttle it back to 250F for finishing off the oil or alchemy.

I paid $60 for the first one and found my second one at Goodwill for $15, so do shop about. We have a couple of Rivals in the group, that don't have quite as sensitive controls in finishing and alchemy temperature range, but are accurate enough to do the job and cost about half as much.

If you don't do the final cook off in the still, a fry cooker will also work, but the controls are most likely not sensitive enough for finishing in the still, or any fine alchemy.

I don't recommend sitting a pot of hot Canola oil on the an electric stove and using the surface element to heat the oil, because you can add too much heat and over pressure the still, if you are not paying close attention to details.

Careful with an open burner or any open flames, because even hot oil is flammable, as are any alcohol fumes that might leak out somewhere, should you not get the lid on straight, or hose clamped, or etc, something go wrong.

I like the portable pot, because some of the things that I use it for, are best done outdoors, even if I have to use a portable generator. It also can't put in enough heat at 1.5kw to blow the lid o-ring seal on the pot, or a hose off, which are the weakest links in the system.

I modified the All Clad asparagus steamer pot by drilling a hole in each pot handle, through which I slip two 4" X 1/4=20 round head bolts, that pass though an 3/4" X 2" x 8" Oak board holding down the lid and be secured with washers and wing nuts.

I modified the pot lid, by drilling a pilot hole using Canola oil as a cutting lubricant for the stainless, and using a step drill to open the hole to 5/8" to accept a 1/8" NPT brass bulkhead fitting. I roll a 5/8" X 1.125" over the fitting outer diameter, so that it seals with only hand tightening.

I've attached a parts list below for the above and the rest of the parts, but draw your attention to the use of a neoprene or Viton fuel hose for the application. Many plastics and rubber hoses leach badly in the alcohols passing through.

Operation of the still is simple. The alcohol is sealed up inside the pot, which is set into the pot of oil, which has its controls set wide open, or about 375F. I wrap a towel around the pot and 1.5 kw fondue cooker, to conserve heat and speed up the process.

A 1/4" fuel hose conveys the alcohol vapors boiled off, to the condenser, which is sitting atop an inverted cat litter bucket, with reliefs cut out. The bowl is filled with ice water, and after the alcohol fumes pass through its coils and reach the 1.75 liter bottle below, it is ice cold. Recovery is greater than 99% during this step of recovery.

I keep track of how much has been boiled off by how much accumulates in the bottle of approximately the same diameter as the asparagus, and mark on it where I wish to stop distilling.

I usually stop before all the alcohol is gone, and pour it into a smaller container to boil the last bit off to atmosphere where I can watch.

Here is the parts list, and some pictures:

1 All Clad stainless asparagus steamer
1 10" Stainless steel mixing bowl
2 1/8" NPT brass bulkhead fitting
1 Neoprene O rings for lid 5.375" X .125"
2 Neoprene O ring for bulkhead fittings 5/8” X .125
1 1/8” MNPT elbow to 3/16” compression
1 1/8" MNPT to 3/16" compression
1 5 gallon plastic bucket
2 1/4" 20 X 4" Plated carriage bolts
2 1/4" Plated washer
2 1/4" Stainless or chrome wingnut
1 3/4" X 8 1/2" X 2" Oak block
4' 3/16" ID Neoprene fuel hose
2 3/8" Hose screw clamps
12.5' 3/16" ID copper refrigeration tubing

Attachments

• Asparagus cooker parts=1=1.jpg
    Asparagus cooker parts=1=1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Modify lid for bulk head fitting-1=1.jpg
    Modify lid for bulk head fitting-1=1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Asparagus cooker assembled-1-1.jpg
    Asparagus cooker assembled-1-1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Still in oil pot-1-1.jpg
    Still in oil pot-1-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Modify asparagus cooker lid-1-1.jpg
    Modify asparagus cooker lid-1-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Ghetto condenser parts-1-1.jpg
    Ghetto condenser parts-1-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Ice water condenser-1-1.jpg
    Ice water condenser-1-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Recovering alcohol-1-1.jpg
    Recovering alcohol-1-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 31

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Is there a reason you don't just attach the copper tubing from the "worm" directly to the pot?

Once again, Gray Wolf - the Concentrate Guru - coming through with the DIY. Thanks, homie!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there a reason you don't just attach the copper tubing from the "worm" directly to the pot?

Once again, Gray Wolf - the Concentrate Guru - coming through with the DIY. Thanks, homie!

No, the hose just makes it handier.

L

LouDog420

Hey gray wolf, great post. Been contemplating this for a while now.

I've wanted to get away from ISO for a while, and go with ethanol washes, but can't afford it without a recycling still :tiphat:

Got a stainless steel steamer on the way. When it arrives, I'll be putting together a worm and drilling some holes for the fittings...

Can't wait to give it a try.

I'm planning on boiling away my extraction in a double boiler, water bath on an electric stovetop, with the steamer suspended off the bottom of the water pot. Any reason why this wouldn't work?? I imagine it will take a bit longer but it won't have the threat of flammable/exploding oil and saves me the expense of finding a fondue cooker :blowbubbles:

:wave:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I'm still wrestling with this concept. Been kicking it around in my head for a day or two.

I'm just worrying about vaporizing the cannabinoids in the attempt to recapture the alcohol.

Some quick questions, if you don't mind.

• When your fondue pot is wide open the max it's getting the oil is 275?
  • If someone were using an alternative method, is there a certain "max" temperature you recommend for the distilling step?
  • How quickly does the ethanol boil off in the still?
  • Do you count the boil off time in your carboxylation calculations?

Last edited:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
31sZSFqAqGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is on Amazon for $18 + shipping.

(search for: "Fox Run Stainless 3 Piece Asparagus")

Last edited:

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I was wondering when someone would start a thread like this one

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey gray wolf, great post. Been contemplating this for a while now.

I've wanted to get away from ISO for a while, and go with ethanol washes, but can't afford it without a recycling still :tiphat:

Got a stainless steel steamer on the way. When it arrives, I'll be putting together a worm and drilling some holes for the fittings...

Can't wait to give it a try.

I'm planning on boiling away my extraction in a double boiler, water bath on an electric stovetop, with the steamer suspended off the bottom of the water pot. Any reason why this wouldn't work?? I imagine it will take a bit longer but it won't have the threat of flammable/exploding oil and saves me the expense of finding a fondue cooker :blowbubbles:

:wave:

I've cooked on a stove top in an improvised double boiler with oil in it and it works fine, just doesn't have as fine a temperature control.

Be careful with the still on a stove top, because you can over heat it.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm still wrestling with this concept. Been kicking it around in my head for a day or two.

I'm just worrying about vaporizing the cannabinoids in the attempt to recapture the alcohol.

Some quick questions, if you don't mind.

• When your fondue pot is wide open the max it's getting the oil is 275?
  • If someone were using an alternative method, is there a certain "max" temperature you recommend for the distilling step?
  • How quickly does the ethanol boil off in the still?
  • Do you count the boil off time in your carboxylation calculations?

The fondue pot oil gets to 375F, but the alcohol can't get hotter than its boiling point at that pressure, which is less than 10 psi. Running the heating oil at 375F doesn't get the alcohol mixture any hotter than goiling point, it just puts more heat in faster and speeds up the process,

Once the alcohol is mostly boiled away, the temperature of the cannabis oil left behind will rise until it hits the next boiling point, which is some of the lighter turpenes, before the cannabinoids.

I pour the remaining alcohol into a smaller container for finishing, or turn the temperature back down to 250F long before the alcohol is gone.

It takes an hour or so to cook off a load, and I consider that time and temperature curve, but I don't decarboxylate by time, I do it by bath temperature and sight.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Lots of them cheaper than the All Clad, but check out how hard they will be to modify before springing.

Amazing post... always love being able to reuse product and not let it go to waste! Been getting inspired by ethanol posts and removing waxes from the products I love smoking. Thanks GW!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Simple pot stills are how whiskey was made originally. It is the bottoms in a pot still that gives whiskey its distinctive flavor.

Be sure to check your local laws on that subject, as in many locations, personal whiskey production is proscribed and I eschew leading you astray brother SML.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

the handles are too thin to drill them for a decent sized screw to clamp down the lid. with the right fitting though no hole would be needed.

L

LouDog420

the handles are too thin to drill them for a decent sized screw to clamp down the lid. with the right fitting though no hole would be needed.

I picked up one like this with the skinny handles.

I planned on drilling a hole in gray wolf's piece of wood top. Using large zip ties, or those metal rachet fasteners to connect the wood to the handles. Then use it like a rotating top, once you size it up properly...

We'll see if it works when my asparagus steamer gets here :wave:

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Simple pot stills are how whiskey was made originally. It is the bottoms in a pot still that gives whiskey its distinctive flavor.

Actually whiskey is still made this way today. The stills may look a little fancier, but the same basic concepts and design have not changed in hundreds of years :yes:
Awesome thread !

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually whiskey is still made this way today. The stills may look a little fancier, but the same basic concepts and design have not changed in hundreds of years :yes:
Awesome thread !

Certainly the good stuff!

When I was looking at air stills, I ran across a slick Australian system at a local brew store, that produces 120 proof neutral grain spirits from a corn sugar wash. They carried the process a step further and offered a panoply of flavors and colorings, including whiskeys.

Seems even sipping whiskey isn't sacred these days!