What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

does peat moss go bad?

NOTB

i've been buying bulk locally and it's always bone dry so no molding but iv'e thrown down seeds and they germ and everything, but only developed 2-3 in. then die.thank you for any input

nomaad

Veteran
peat moss on its own does not have much in the way of nutrients.do you add amendments to your peat moss?

Wolverine97

Veteran
Considering the fact that most of it is thousands of years old to begin with, I'd say no it doesn't. If it's stored dry, there should be zero degradation.

GoneRooty

Peat doesn't go bad, but it has no nutrients in it, unless amended. Even Sunshine #4 which has a "nutrient charge" will run out of nutrients within the first 1-2 weeks. So if you aren't adding amendments, or feeding nutes, that's your problem, if you are feeding/amending then more information is needed as to what your plants are doing when they die. Are they wilting and dieing? Leaf color, leaf burn, etc...

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I'm not sure about peat moss but I have used sphagnum moss as a cloning medium before with great success.

50 CLONES IN SPHAGNUM MOSS

picture.php

ALL HEALTHY, ALL HAVE ROOTS

picture.php

Like peat moss it has no nutrients, but clones don't need nutrients as they develop.

I just keep it moist and it's reusable.

Peat moss would make a good cloning medium too.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I would think it is possible for bails of peat to become saturated with water when stored uncovered and go anaerobic due to the contents being confined in the plastic bag.

Peat that isn't a "soil mix" is just peat and there is no gypsum or dolomite added. This usually floats around 4.0 ph...not good unless liming agents are used.

big_daddy

I use Canadian Spaghnum Peat at a 4:1 ratio with high grade EWC (thanks to Mizzafishkilla) for my seedling mix and they blow outta the soil like their ass is on fire.

IMO, it is the best seedling mix I've come across yet (thanks Coot). I think the EWC covers the bases with a minor nute charge, calcium and diverse microbial activity so the pH is a non issue. I also use well water which is 7.4 pH outta the tap so that probably has some play in the whole equation.

Even a top dress of EWC would be a big help to get your young uns off on the right foot IMO.

All the best,

b_d