What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY 24 Site Top-Fed Modules

CovertCrops

Hello all you ICmag DIY'ers. I wanted to share with you a cheap, effective, and flexible hydroponic setup. I built this one as a top-fed system but it can easily convert to E/F, DWC/SWC, and aero. I use it to veg my clones.

picture.php

Let us begin.

First you need a plastic tub with a top. I used a 16 gallon under the bed type for this build.

picture.php

picture.php

Here are the tools you will need. The hole saw is 1 1/4" and you will also need a 1/4" drill bit.

picture.php

Now drill a hole into the bottom for your drain. ( ignore black object )

picture.php

picture.php

I recommend painting the tub before installing the 1/2" drain. I painted the outside of the tub with a black spray paint designed for plastic. I do not advise painting the inside of the tub.

picture.php

A 1/2" straight barbed connector is placed through a hole in the side of the tub. This is where you will hook up the feed line from the pump.

picture.php

A length of 1/2" hose is cut and attached to the other side of the barbed connector.

picture.php

The end of the hose is folded and secured to itself. Holes are punched for the 1/4" straght barbs which will connect to the feed lines for each row.

picture.php

1/4" feed lines are attached and drawn up through holes in the cover

picture.php

Now, to make the cover...
I used 3.75" net pots for this setup.

picture.php

Pots are placed underneath the cover to facilitate tracing the inside of the pots and to support the cover.

picture.php

picture.php

Make sure you trace the INSIDE of the pots otherwise they will fall through.

picture.php

Next, the holes are cut out. I use a spiral saw but hole saw's would work just as well.

picture.php

After cutting be sure to remove excess plastic and smooth down the holes.

picture.php

Then its paint time.

picture.php

1/4" holes are drilled for the feed lines. ( only required for top feed setups )

picture.php

The cover is placed on the tub and the 1/4" feed lines are drawn through the cover.

picture.php

The feed lines come out of the cover and I use T's to make 3 feed sites and cap the last site with an emiter.

picture.php

Not every site is needed now so feed rows can be modified with ease.

picture.php

Rows that arent need at all can be "looped"

picture.php

The feed line from the pump goes in the side and the drain comes out the bottom and back to the rez.

picture.php

And finally, she is complete.

picture.php

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions at all. I hope that you will find this build clear, concise, and enjoyable. Thanks for tuning in. Until next time, Happy Gardening.

CovertCrops

Helis thanks for taking a look. Na, no home grown on the tent. It's just a Sun Hut 2x4 with a big 3 level shelf in it. Mom's on the bottom, veg in the middle, and clones on top. Thanks for the karma :)

Right on thanks for the tutorial that really helps out a lot! I'm a really low-skilled handyman/DIY'er but I'm trying to hone my skills for this very purpose. This guide can help even the most novice of both growers and DIY'ers to help build their own top-fed module.

chronicgrower

Covertcrops... Hi, im thinking about doing the same kinda 3-shelf jobbie, can i ask what lights your running for the mother and clones?
cheers

CovertCrops

EstimatedProph - Thank you. I am very glad to know the instructions are easy to follow for fledgling DIY'ers.

ChronicGrower - I am just using 2 4' T8 shop lights for the moms (160watts). 2 4' T8's for the veg + 150w hps when I need faster growth(160watts or 310watts). I clone under 1 4' T8 (80 watts). I can fit 4 seedling trays with 7" humidomes on the top shelf. The multi- level mom/veg tent has worked great for me, I feed 2k worth of flowering rooms with that one 2x4 tent.

Dr. Dog - Thank you. Time will tell if the design makes it to the DIY link-o-rama or a sticky. Thanks again.

CovertCrops

Chronicgrower - Yes. T8's are available in many size's and shapes even. A 3' would fit perfectly over the modules. Glad to help.

CovertCrops

Performance Update

Performance Update

I have had clones in the "mods" for 8 days now, here is what the modules can do.

Rooted clone going into the module

picture.php

3 days in...

picture.php

6 days in...

picture.php

8 days in the module and she is ready to be flowered.

picture.php

Thanks for lookin. Happy growing.

T

tokinafaty420

What size pump do you use to feed the drip lines?

I've been doing ebb n Flo buckets for a couple of years now, but I've been thinking of switching over to a drip system. Seems it would require less water.

greenerdreams

They look great. My friend does the waterfarms, basically the same just more expensive, an he loves it also. what nutes u put on the clones those 8 days while ur vegging? good luck and keep us posted. Also how can i flag or mark these forums or pages i want to come back to? or flag the people to keep up with what their doing? thx again.

CovertCrops

Tokinafaty - I am using a 500 gph pump because I had it laying around. I think anything over 250 gph would be fine. Drip systems definitely use less water.

greenerdreams - I use Pure blend pro grow and Canna rhizotonic in the res. Ph 5.8 and EC 1.5 . You can subscribe to a thread by clicking on "thread tools" which is right above the first post on the right hand side of the screen.

G

Groseph

Nice work.

What is the advantage of the top feed / dripper lines?

Seems like you could very easily simplify and remove all of that...just running it as a small shallow water culture setup w/ a couple 12" stones. The bursting bubbles would wet your stones and naturally draw out the roots when 1st going into the system.

Latest posts

Latest posts