What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Show me Cannabis growing in 5 gallon buckets

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Hello all! I have never done much container growing, and I am considering doing some smaller "mini" plants in 5 gallon buckets next year.

I'd like to see pics of mature plants growing in 5 gallon buckets, information on how long the plant was growing in the bucket, and final trimmed yield would be just as helpful.

Thanks! :joint:

.clunk

Last year I used 7 gallon bags, but probably only filled them with 5 gallons of pro-mix. I dug several terraces underneath to sit a row of bags and broke the soil up underneath with my polaski as best I could. The roots grew out of the bag and into the terrace, but hindsight being what it is I should have cut bigger holes in the bottom to let more roots through into the soft terraced areas below.
Anyways, this pic shows two plants growing side by side. Yield was 4oz each around 3 weeks after this photo was taken. The limiting factor for these two was growing space - I planted too close. The small amount of soil didn't seem to bother them given that they could put roots down and outwards into the soft stuff below.
EDIT: hope you can see the pic, I don't have 50 posts yet.
picture.php

well i dont have any 5gal in the woods but these are some 10gal in my backyard just to give you an idea :joint:

this is from last year: i got 10oz total from the 2 big girls. they are hindu skunks from sr71:

here are a couple from this year, 3 headbands and 1 ogkush. definitely looking forward to a bigger harvest this time around. :woohoo:

front view

side view

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Great looking plants guys!

Here is my container grown plant, she is planted in 10 gallons of soil, in a buried garbage bag.
picture.php

This is plant is part of my Earth-hole experiment, it has gotten larger than I expected. Next year I'm thinking about shrinking the planters to 5 gallons, shortening the season(planting later, maybe with clones), and trying for smaller plants that can be more easily hidden.

Any more contributors?

slider420

You said you wanted pixs (I'm in the north )so we get a Real short grow season..(54 yesterday & 39 when i got up)So to some it might not be the monsters that people are use to..But to us up here... We are happy to get anything from the weed gods..With the deer/rabbits/hilljack out of season hunters & not to for get THE LAW..:yoinks: If we can last to bow season..We are Jacked....So when i look at what other parts of the WORLD can Produce....I can only sit in Smile at what Growers Can do if are put to the test :dueling:& with that said I'll post What I Say "Are my Babies" before And Now

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Nice plants, around that size is actually what I may be shooting for.

So what size pots? When did you start the seeds? Strain?

I'm looking for examples of plants grown in smaller pots.............

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
these are from different years but were all done in 5 gallon buckets.

hollands hope these two are nyc diesel
this was a purple #1 this was a nirvana chrystal this was a nirvana ice

and these are all this years. i do all my plants in cornfields in 5 gallon buckets. all are unknown strain. my friends was mixing pot of gold, sweet tooth, and white widow. he lost the labels for these specific ones. so i have no idea what these are exactly.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great looking plants guys!

Here is my container grown plant, she is planted in 10 gallons of soil, in a buried garbage bag.
picture.php

This is plant is part of my Earth-hole experiment, it has gotten larger than I expected. Next year I'm thinking about shrinking the planters to 5 gallons, shortening the season(planting later, maybe with clones), and trying for smaller plants that can be more easily hidden.

Any more contributors?

Are you saying your earth-hole was too successful? :)

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Are you saying your earth-hole was too successful? :)
Well, yes! LOL!

This plant has gotten a it bigger than I'm comfortable with, I'd prefer my plants to never be bigger than this one, and I'd like to have a smaller average size. This is to try and remain invisible to helicopters and less visible to any passersby.

So my reaction is to use smaller pots, even younger plants, and a later planting out date. 5 gallon soil capacity seems to be the next logical step down, hence the need for this thread.

Another nice thing about shrinking the size of the plants would be that I could venture out from under the trees more, allowing my plants even better quality of sunshine, which in turn produces better quality, denser buds.

I've even considered changing the strategy from growing a few 3-6oz plants, to growing a larger quantity of very late planted, single cola plants, which would be very easy to hide without needing thick cover. The result would be large handfull of small plants producing mostly one large cola of high quality, rather than a few nice top colas off larger plants hidden in deeper cover.

But anyways, I'm rambling, I won't figure out next years strategy until the snows fall this winter probably.:joint:

H

hulkbogan

IMO you can grow some decent sized plants in 5 gals .

If your going for smaller plants I would try planting later and avoid small buckets as they will dry out super quickly if in full sun.

I cut the bottoms off so the roots can grow into the native soil if they like.

you cant see them but these are all in buried 5 gals with the bottoms cut out. None got over 5 feet or very bushy.

DSC01188.jpg

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY man!!!!! what up!? :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

there are tons of ways to grow in containers, tons of techniques to use: from topping, root-restriction (in different growth stages) and also knowing at which point to plant... strain is also very important. some will grow like monsters in the same size pot as another strain that will not grow as big, even if both were trimmed and topped the same way.

one thing I have found out is that if one germinates the seeds in small cups, and let them grow in that small container for a lot longer than one would, this will stunt the growth and accelerate sexing, specially under a 12/12 photoperiod. then one transplants to a bigger pot, but not much bigger, and she will have more space to veg a bit more and start flowering.

with pots the harvest is a lot less than planting directly into ground, it also depends a lot on strain, how much were they pampered, etc...

pampered lil lady
picture.php

neglected lil lady
picture.php

one love !

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
PazVerdeRadical- I'm sure y'all noticed the similarity of this particular plant to the Ronnie James Dio devil salute- awesome!

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Hi BC!

I know that the title of the thread is "show" us cannabis in 5 gal buckets, but I recently had to change usernames because of security issues and deleted my old album as well as all my pics.

But... in '07 I had a Lockdown (sk1 x sensi star) that was in a 5 gallon bucket in the swamp. She finished at 8' with 212.1g (7.57 oz- I keep good notes!). Thing is she would have pushed a lot more weight, but 1/2 way thru flowering the swamp flooded and she lost all leaves but the bud leaves. So when she packed on weight, the only thing left was on the tips of branches. Wished I still had some pics, she was a classic xmas tree shape with the bottom branches stretching a good 4'- 5'.

peace,

as

MT.GUERRILLA

I've been doin 5 gallon buckets for years and have camo buckets right now with opium, gws and passion #1. I've found that on average plants will get 3.5-4 ft. high, although if your growing more sativa based genetics they'll be higher. My opiums have only been flowering for 3 weeks and they're pushing 5 ft. due to the genetics. next year i'm gonna switch to 10 gal. to improve the yield. can't beat buckets tho, as in my area there's a ton of logging/construction and hunters. I've had to move my shit plenty of times due to security issues/ change of sun patterns etc.

I start from seed may 15-20th, move outside in 16oz solo cups, and transplant straight into buckets after a month in the cups.
Next time i'm gonna transplant em out of the solo cups after 2-3 weeks to encourage earlier branching.
This will give you a reasonable sized bush that will yield at least an oz.

peace

M

mildhigh5280

I know this thread is kinda old but oh well :xmasnut:

she was in a 5gal pot of sunshine #4
started from seed in late april/early may harvested on september 30
a little over 6' tall and ended up with just under 11oz :headbange

put her in a hole lined with plastic so she wouldnt peek over the fence

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
WOW! What you growing there?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This OR95 grew in 10 gallons of super yummy home made organic potting soil, in my Earth hole, yielded 5oz of dense indica bud, plus another 1oz of "pop corn".

M

mildhigh5280

nothing special

nothing special

Well I got these seeds for free so I can't be 100% sure on the strain, but I was told they're Early Sativa and if they aren't oh well because she turned out just fine.:smoke:

some info on the strain

http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/marijuana-strains/earlysativa.html

Early Sativa
[Great White North]

Sativa
Origins - Sativa
Flowering - 55 - 65 days
Harvest - Late August (in Canada)

Great White North is a small company whose specialty is outdoor varieties for Canadian seasons. They describe themselves as "a commercial grower that got carried away" into seed science. Their straightforwardly named Early Sativa is exactly that: a short-season equatorial acclimated to summers in Canada's greaoutdoors.

Early Sativa performs well in nearly all outdoor settings, finishing on the Canadian prairies at the end of August. Early Sativa grows into the traditional Christmas-tree shape with a large central cola. This plant's physiognomy is strongly sativa, with light green tones and long thin leaves, but Early Sativa stays fairly diminutive, with an average height between 2 and 4 feet. Despite the manageable size and central bud formation, this plant is best suited as a multi-branch. She would yield less if crowded into a sea of green. The buds are unexpectedly compact given this plant's pure sativa lineage. Gardeners can expect an average yield of 5 ouncez per plant, and possibly double that with good fertilization and an early start.

Early Sativa brings an enjoyable fresh sunkissed fruitness to the palate. Occasional or light smokers will appreciate this strain's easy ride into an enjoyably lucid high, mild and easy to regulate. Early Sativa enhances work or play, especially hikes, picnics, or gardening.