What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Burn1

What "left over" nutrients do you have?
Chloramine will not evaporate like chlorine. So, bubbling or leaving out in an open container will not get rid of the product. You can find five gallon jugs of drinking water cheap. Look at the label though to see if there is anything in there besides pure H2O.
Burn1

Mars_Barz

What "left over" nutrients do you have?
Chloramine will not evaporate like chlorine. So, bubbling or leaving out in an open container will not get rid of the product. You can find five gallon jugs of drinking water cheap. Look at the label though to see if there is anything in there besides pure H2O.
Burn1
Vitamin C (acetic acid) unbinds the chloramine molecule, iirc.

I have Alaska Fish Fertilizer and Gaia Green

Mr Jay

Veteran
If you do not follow the original recipe, you will not get the same results. I have personally made soil mixes and then fed with alaska fish fert (in the water itself unsing the emulsion fish mix) with great results. You will be shocked at how fast the fish will pull down the PH of the water, you will end up very acidic.

I would not try to use citric acid in any part of my grow, you do you.

45 gallon smart pot, Organic super soil mix, watered with alaska fish in chloramine filled water. I still had to adjust the pH of the water and feed mix up as it averaged out at 4.5, you will have to test your water every single time you add feed to it.

strain is bruce banner #3

IMG_2143.jpeg

Mars_Barz

If you do not follow the original recipe, you will not get the same results. I have personally made soil mixes and then fed with alaska fish fert (in the water itself unsing the emulsion fish mix) with great results. You will be shocked at how fast the fish will pull down the PH of the water, you will end up very acidic.

I would not try to use citric acid in any part of my grow, you do you.

45 gallon smart pot, Organic super soil mix, watered with alaska fish in chloramine filled water. I still had to adjust the pH of the water and feed mix up as it averaged out at 4.5, you will have to test your water every single time you add feed to it.

strain is bruce banner #3

View attachment 19004216
I'm getting conflicting advice here. The poster above you said to use 'clean' water, you're saying my tap is fine??

If I go this route, I need to invest in a pen, eh? Can a $20 Vivosun suffice? Or would I be better to drop the $200 on a BlueLab?

The thing is, I don't really wanna 'follow a recipe,' I just want to simply create my own soil substrate that is free of cloth, rocks, pieces of plastic, insect eggs, etc. and do what I have been doing this whole time with the bags of soil I obtain from the shop soil: top dress it.

Mr Jay

Veteran
You don't seem to want advice, you seem to want confirmation for your idea. I think top dressing is a bad idea and will be nowhere as effective as mixing nutrients into the soil and letting them cook off.

You do you.

Mars_Barz

You don't seem to want advice, you seem to want confirmation for your idea. I think top dressing is a bad idea and will be nowhere as effective as mixing nutrients into the soil and letting them cook off.

You do you.
Precisely this. I only have a very limited amount of space (2x4 tent) and nowhere to place a bin to make compost in :(

As such, where or how am I realistically supposed to mix up and store up to 110lbs. of material? And even if I could, doesn't it risk going bad if I don't use it in time? I'm only planning to grow two plants in 5gallon pots in the 2x4.

I really want to do organics though, I just paid $200 for what I'm presuming are quality seeds and I want to grow these things to their max potential and unlock the flavours and effects of the plant. Perhaps shelving the idea to 'make' my own substrate for the time being might be optimal. I'm having difficulties finding an actual 'organic' premixed substrate though.

Got any suggestions? I'm in Canada.

PadawanWarrior

Precisely this. I only have a very limited amount of space (2x4 tent) and nowhere to place a bin to make compost in :(

As such, where or how am I realistically supposed to mix up and store up to 110lbs. of material? And even if I could, doesn't it risk going bad if I don't use it in time? I'm only planning to grow two plants in 5gallon pots in the 2x4.

I really want to do organics though, I just paid $200 for what I'm presuming are quality seeds and I want to grow these things to their max potential and unlock the flavours and effects of the plant. Perhaps shelving the idea to 'make' my own substrate for the time being might be optimal. I'm having difficulties finding an actual 'organic' premixed substrate though.

Got any suggestions? I'm in Canada.
You can start with the premixed bags of soil. That's what I did. Started with FFOF and after a few rounds of just top dressing I added some pumice and rice hulls to it. Been going for 5+ years now. I'm using mostly 15 gallon pots. I would advise you to do the same. 2 15 gal pots fit fine in a 2x4. At least the plastic pots and saucers I have.

Mars_Barz

You can start with the premixed bags of soil. That's what I did. Started with FFOF and after a few rounds of just top dressing I added some pumice and rice hulls to it. Been going for 5+ years now. I'm using mostly 15 gallon pots. I would advise you to do the same. 2 15 gal pots fit fine in a 2x4. At least the plastic pots and saucers I have.
Thanks, but I won't use Fox Farms.