What's new

400 watt hps

King

Either would work good to get you going. The hydrofarm would be better because you can get the glass and vent it, if need be. Yes that hydrofarm contains a "mogul socket" which your bulb screw into.

Where I said Hydrofarm, I meant Flouralux or whatever brand that 2nd one was.

nycnoob

quick response

quick response

Thats the great thing about forums they are quick to answer. But yeah thank you for replying. Sorry but I have reread the descriptions, I don't see hydrofarm in any. Which one is it?

Also I mean in general a ballast contains a mogul socket? Thank you.
Also whats the value of the Floralux? Thanks.

King

The Floralux. The second one you mentioned above is the Floralux and yes it has a socket in it. Hydrofarm makes a very similar light.

Look at the first one now. The ballast is seperate. The mogul socket is the tan-creamish part where the bulb is screwed in underneath the reflector.

The second one has the ballast attached to the reflector in one unit. You can see the mogul socket in the second picture he has provided.

Any help?

King

Oh yeah, that price is getting up there for the Floralux. You used to be able to get them new off ebay with a bulb for not much more.

Rellikbuzz

Hey NYC- While both of those are cheaper, neither one is ideal. It really depends on where your grow will be. If you are in a small confined space, then you need to get a reflector/hood that can be vented and has glass on the bottom. The 2nd one, the floralux, is a horizontal reflector but it has the ballast built onto the hood. This really can create a heat problem in a small space. Additionally, both of these lights are HPS lights and, while HPS is great for flower, most authorities will tell you that MH (Metal Halide) is better for vegging a plant and HPS (High Pressure Sodium) is needed during the flowering stage.

I am also looking at 400 watt lights and I will be growing in a closet (2' x 6' x 9') and I am going to go with a 400 watt switchable ballast that runs both MH and HPS. That way you get two lights for the price of one! Sunleaves and Hydrofarm both make switchable ballasts and they are remote ballasts, meaning that the ballast is seperate from the reflector/hood so the ballast can be stored OUTSIDE of the grow room to keep heat to a minimum. I am planning on using a Silver Star reflector/hood that has 6" air intake/exhaust vents built into it so that I can vent the heat from the hood out of the closet. Heat build-up in a confined space is the #1 enemy to MJ plants.

From time to time you can find a used switchable system on Ebay. I've been looking myself but I think I am going to go new since the auctions tend to end up over $150.00 anyway. If you feel like you don't need a ventable reflector/hood to keep your grow space cool, then you can get a switchable system with a bat-wing reflector (like the first light system you were looking at) brand new for about $175.00 through "A to T Lamps" at atotlamps.com. They also have a ton of listings on Ebay. Just do a search on the Ebay homepage for "grow lights" and you'll get about 8 pages of listings, many of which are from A to T Lamps in Lewisville, TX. They have awesome prices and they are not a hydro shop so the scrutiny from John Q. Law should be minimal. I live about 15 minutes from them and have been there. It's a mom and pop run lighting shop and they have the best prices I have found on HID light set-ups. While they do have timers, germinating kits, black and white poly and some other grow related items, their primary business is strictly lighting of all types (not just grow lights).

Hope this helps. Good luck!!