9309Pijp2_Small-thumb.JPG
[/url]
[/IMG]
9309Pijp1_Small-thumb.JPG
[/url]
[/IMG]

Greetings to Wayzer :wave:

G

I plan on making a bong out of ceramic clay in my wheelthrowing class today. I hope ill be able to glaze it sometime. if i get a pic once its done ill post it up here

Wayzer

Thanks Verger that's some hot shit!!! :headbange :headbange

how in the hell do you make those???
I would fuckin love to toke outta that last one :pimp3: :pimp3: :pimp3:

Keep up the sick work!
If you don't mind my asking do you sell those?
:smoweed: :smoweed: :smoweed:

V

Verger OG

Wow! Such positives reactions and vibes! I don't think much of them myself. This encourages me to make another one. Perhaps like the one in the first photo. But one that works :) I have some ideas already.

Well, I don't sell them. They aren't that awesome you know. Perhaps in the future if i get better at making them.

How they are made? Wll. You start with chamotte clay. I use white mostly. You have 2 types, a fine and a more crude chamoytte. You use several techniquest to make stuff. I use a roller and make flat pieces for the bottom. On that I put flat sides. it really depends on what model you asking.

Number one, the round one is amde using the rolls techniqwue. you start with a bottom and make it taller by placing rolls of clay on top and rubbing them smooth so they stcik together.
The second one was made using flattened rolled pieces. I crafted the top on there as well so it was one piece. Then i cut it in half to be able to glaze the inside. I used a kit to glue them together again and copper tubes for the required mouthpiece and inner tube.

The last one was made by making a long line of clay in the square shape and then boring a hole through it. Then I put then pieces together in the shape you see. The trick is not to deform the clay and close the tunnels.
The second last one was made using the flat placque technique and put edges on it so you had a sort of ashtray. In that I made a whole drainage like system of channels going back and forth. On top I placed a flat lid.

After this the pieces are baked in an oven at 1030C called the 'biscuit oven'. Then they are solid. The whole process takes may hours. Then you clean of dust and glaze them. I use a powder form. Youa dd a little water to it until you reach a yoghurt thickness. Then you apply it with a brush on the clay. It is not like paint. You can rub it off easily so you need to be careful.

The piece thn is baked again at 960C. The powder then smelts onto the clay. This way you can make a piece carry water, like the waterpipes.

And then it is ready.

It takes weeks because I don't make these at home but at an activity centre.

G

I made a cermaic bong back in high school..well attempted but the art teacher called me out for making a bong.

I told her it was a candle holder lol

Last edited:
V

Verger OG

JH151399-OG said:
is the surface of glazed clay similar to a glass surface?

Basically yes. it is n different than the things you buy in shops. The only difference is is that factory produced items are meach neater glazed by the industrialised process. Since I put on glaze with a brush the result is somewhat irregular. But when clay is glaze dproperly it is waterproof.

So the inside of waterpipes are glazed. The way you do this is by pouring a quantity of glaze in the pipepe and rotate it all the way around so the glaze gets attached everywhere. Since clay when baked is very dry it will suck up the glaze because the glaze is just a powder with water added to it. And it sticks to the clay then.

This way you get a glaze everywhere inside the pipes. And then you pour out the remainder. I use glaze remnants because you don't see the inside. It is moslty an blackish colour because it is made up of remnants of other glazed projects put into a big pot. So it is a liquid. It is all kinds of colours mixed, therefore, mostly black.

G

made 2 bongs today in my wheelthrowing class. cant wait to fire em/glaze em/show you guys/USE THEM! sweeet

V

Verger OG

Excellent! I also amde a new waterpipe last Friday. It is quite a design on the inside. I hope it works because it was hard to build. Basically this one is supposed to channel the smoke through tunnels filled with water, like pipes. So that all the water is used to cleanse the smoke.

G

So these are basically the first things I have ever "wheel-thrown" and are considered "cylinders" :chin:

This one is probably a foot tall or a little less and you can't tell from the pic but it's pretty heavy (2-4 pounds, maybe?). The teacher heald it up and was like what is this, a weapon? Haha. Didn't question me about what they were though.

This one is a little less taller but somewhat wider at the base for lots of water

They haven't been fired yet so hopefully there are no air bubbles to explode (if that happens I'll be very sad)

After that I'll have to glaze em. If posisble I'm thinking a rasta theme for the one without the veins. For the one with veins I'm not too sure yet. Was thinking of doing a water/river theme but who knows, at this point.

Will probably drill a hole after glazing/firing is done but that's a whole 'nother issue....hopefully I'll be able to

Won't be making any more cylinders from now on so I can't really make more. Hoping these will come out good! COolnesssss

V

Verger OG

i really like the designs and they look pretty good to me! Were they made using a pottery wheel that is leg-powered? :)

I like the craquele patterns on the second one. I think some watery effect would be good. I like the first one as it is. Perhaps you should reconsider not glazxing at all or just a transparent glaze. When using color be subtle if you can. perhaps a very light pastel?

I don't think bubbles are a worry. if the clay was prepared well and thoroughly kneaded or molded or whatever te English temr is, you should be okay.

sturdy designs. Post more pics when you have more to show okay? I am interested!

Drilling holes in clay is tough. i usually create the whole where it is supposed to be. During baking clay shrinks so keep it in mind. When a hole is too big it is a problem. But a small hole is more easily widenend. before you glaze anything make sure it is as it should be. Because when you glaze anything...well...I tried to grind or polish glaze and it is tougher than you know. I used my Dremel-clone and a polishing stone at full speed to get rid of some protrusions on a piece and it detsroyed the grinding stone on a piece no more than 1 mm!

G

Nah they were made with an electrically powered wheel thrower. I plan to use a glass drill bit for the drilling, they're pretty strong. I'm going to glaze em because clay is porous and I don't want nasty resin getting stuck in there and plus if water gets on it and it isn't glazed they'll be messed up. Also I just want some color to look at :)

Ill post pics as they progress

Latest posts

Latest posts