What's new

Plant Data Points

bye12

I would like to document my grow a little bit better and is wondering what's the best way to collect and store data.
At the moment I use a spread cheat and document the hight and the width of the plant. And numbers of nodes.
Any other useful information that I should document regarding the plants?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 23.14.25.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 23.14.25.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 45

Bona Fortuna

Howdy!
Not sure what you soil composition is, but perhaps documenting any amount of feed per liter, the brand and the date. Really helps remind where you’re at with coco, hempy buckets and salts.

Possibly leaf structure (oblong oval/round leaf, fat/skinny fingers, bright green/dark green, large/small water leaf size), branching ability, scent development and eventually flower development if you’re breeding or hunting through a particular variety for a particular expression.

Fuel

Phenological growth stages of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.): codification and description according to the BBCH scale

The BBCH "system" is used for everything : trees, vegetables, wheat etc ... and cannabis now (in the industry).

It can be quite easily integrated in any system of notation/tracking.
phenotrackBBCH.png

You're not supposed to use it all, all the time, but it's a reliable structure to start somewhere.

Anyway, your notation is supposed to be specialized with the job to do. Don't think everything is mapped regardless the line, think more about the relationship between your goal and what you have to collect as datas. Then pick ;o)

bye12

Howdy!
Not sure what you soil composition is, but perhaps documenting any amount of feed per liter, the brand and the date. Really helps remind where you’re at with coco, hempy buckets and salts.

Possibly leaf structure (oblong oval/round leaf, fat/skinny fingers, bright green/dark green, large/small water leaf size), branching ability, scent development and eventually flower development if you’re breeding or hunting through a particular variety for a particular expression.
Howdy Rowdy :)
Already documenting my conditions and inputs and find that it is pretty easy.
But I find it harder to know what to document regarding the plants. But your suggestions make sense.

bye12

Phenological growth stages of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.): codification and description according to the BBCH scale

The BBCH "system" is used for everything : trees, vegetables, wheat etc ... and cannabis now (in the industry).

It can be quite easily integrated in any system of notation/tracking.
View attachment 18915020

You're not supposed to use it all, all the time, but it's a reliable structure to start somewhere.

Anyway, your notation is supposed to be specialized with the job to do. Don't think everything is mapped regardless the line, think more about the relationship between your goal and what you have to collect as datas. Then pick ;o)
This is exactly what i'm looking for. Im a little bit of a science fan and would really like to understand how the industry operates, so thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.
Since I don't really have a goal yet except to grow dank buds I will try and keep it as simple as possible and advance later.

What application is that in the screen shot? I tried to google it but I don't find it.

Fuel

Terps/dankness breeding is almost an entire universe of methods on its own, the goal is set ... seen from here.

Sorry for the lack of infos, the screenshot is a personnal database/app that evolved along my journey. It started 20 years ago in a simple excel sheet then it evolved with the constraints. It's to show you that if it's well structured from the start and linked directly with your grow, it can evolve pretty fast. Small start doesn't exist, only the potential count ;o)

Data points that matter are nutrient content. Everything else is busy work. Unless you got 6 ft ceilings. A home NPK tissue analysis costs next to nothing. I developed the standards years ago. When your leaves turn into wrinkled blue leather you got problems. Soft and yellow? You got problems. I'd rather twiddle my thumbs anywhere but inside a grow tent training and counting leaves or whatever it is they do all day. I literally see my plants twice a week and you probably give your plants names like Sherri and Daisy in my mind if you want to fuck with them any more than that, which to me says their filling a void in your life that shouldn't be filled by a shitty half dead plant slaved up in your basement next to a growth chart and milestone log book.

bye12

Terps/dankness breeding is almost an entire universe of methods on its own, the goal is set ... seen from here.

Sorry for the lack of infos, the screenshot is a personnal database/app that evolved along my journey. It started 20 years ago in a simple excel sheet then it evolved with the constraints. It's to show you that if it's well structured from the start and linked directly with your grow, it can evolve pretty fast. Small start doesn't exist, only the potential count ;o)
Way cool. seems like I need to step up my spear sheet game.
Breeding is the end goal but unfortunately kind of far away in my future.
I realised that structure is game changing and that's why I decided to figure out how the "pro's" do it.

Thanks Mate.

bye12

Data points that matter are nutrient content. Everything else is busy work. Unless you got 6 ft ceilings. A home NPK tissue analysis costs next to nothing. I developed the standards years ago. When your leaves turn into wrinkled blue leather you got problems. Soft and yellow? You got problems. I'd rather twiddle my thumbs anywhere but inside a grow tent training and counting leaves or whatever it is they do all day. I literally see my plants twice a week and you probably give your plants names like Sherri and Daisy in my mind if you want to fuck with them any more than that, which to me says their filling a void in your life that shouldn't be filled by a shitty half dead plant slaved up in your basement next to a growth chart and milestone log book.
Well the goal is of course that Daisy and Sherri should turn out to be the best next big thing in the cannabis industry and help keep millions of people warm and cosy at night plus they keep all the nightmares away :)
All jokes aside, Maybe we have different goals. My goal is to learn while growing the best Cannabis and I do believe that the more data you have the more you can learn, everything else is just "bro Science". Nothing wrong with "bro science" but its hard to go to a reputable company stating things without anything to back it up with.
Thank you for your time.

Fuel

Breeding is the end goal but unfortunately kind of far away in my future.

Don't be fooled by any fake hierarchy on it, no one (reliable) in this game haven't started to just select a nice motherplant to smoke.

I listen your humility and i respect it, but it's more about baby steps that turn organically in breeding somewhere in the journey (or not). It's not even a decision at one given point i think, more a side effect of your constancy (or the lack of it).

You will find often magic ratios, tables that look like to insure that cannabis breed like an Apple app algorithm, absolute rules that never happens in practice on regular patterns ... breeding is a fusion-adaptation concept. Of your hands and your plants, as the same genetic block. And both have a footprint on each other also, but it's another debate on epigenetics. So yeah, i share your opinion on the need of facts and datas ... that most of the time are changing from one strain to another by the way. You don't select the same way an afghani and a skunk, it's more than obvious for everyone i guess.

Now what i'm suggesting you is to focus on something you're fascinated in the "dank" department. I don't know ... let's say randomly that you're a big fan of the lemonene/caryophillene combo. You can go full science and learn everything you can on these terps, but sincerely it will not teach you how to breed it efficiently, it's pure education only. Doing is another game, and another education btw.

The key is more to understand why the phenotype A have this combo at high rate, and why the phenotype B don't have any hint of the combo. Also if the possible segregation of the combo in divided in different producers and their ratios among the generations (vanishing, status quo or increasing).

The datas collected are mostly the true leverage linked with the expression you're searching and whatever it is for the given line worked : internode number in a given height, auxines use/production of the plant, even the root mass shape, leaves shapes ... you never know until you put a finger on it while exploring the strain.

The trap now is to collect too much datas, not specially pertinent or linked, and that lead to patterns self-generated. Unfortunately there is no cheat code possible to replace the experience on the line permitting to dodge these traps.

Most of wannabe don't understand at first glance that focused baby steps are not a jail of specialization, they don't even know how to walk and they pretend to be already bored to run in a specific way. In the facts/practice, they will be forced by the plants themselves to learn a lot of leverages linked with the quality that fascinate them, and to increase their skills of adaptation and transform it in methods. Being specialized come a lot later, when you have enough explored different lines to finally know what you don't want.

That's my point of view on the necessary progressiveness of the journey, to give meat to the skeleton of the structure thrown a bit brutally ^^

its hard to go to a reputable company stating things without anything to back it up with

Very true, and if you look closely ... the number of companies not locked to source only the clones of stoners are very limited. It mean something deep behind the shiny and loud scene.

Staying updated and curious is important also. I was already knowing the BBCH system since a while but I never really paid attention. It's only three years ago that i discovered this paper and it took me two years to integrate it plainly to my tools but also practices. Like a bunch of others things that are a part of my travel.

Stay open, verify, document even the failures ... it's becoming organically breeding when the whole become a reliable practical knowledge.

Last edited: