What's new

Lower Yields Indoors: Purple Marijuana Strains

Verdant Whisperer

Title: Anthocyanins in Cannabis: How Colorful Pigments Impact Indoor Growing

Abstract:
This paper explores the role of anthocyanins, colorful pigments found in plants, and their impact on cannabis growth, especially in indoor settings. We discuss why these pigments evolved in plants and how they can affect cannabis cultivation. We suggest that in controlled indoor environments, strains without anthocyanins might be more efficient in producing yields.

Introduction:
Anthocyanins are natural pigments that give plants vibrant colors. They have important functions, like protecting plants from UV rays and signaling in their cells. In nature, plants with anthocyanins have an edge in tough environments. However, it's worth noting that most indoor grow lights used for cultivating plants, including cannabis, emit very little ultraviolet (UV) light.

Absorption of Light:
Chlorophyll: Chlorophyll is the primary pigment responsible for absorbing light energy during photosynthesis. It absorbs light most efficiently in the blue (around 430-450 nm) and red (around 640-680 nm) regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Anthocyanins: Anthocyanins are a group of water-soluble pigments that absorb light primarily in the blue (around 500-520 nm) and red (around 640-660 nm) regions of the spectrum. They reflect light in the green to yellow range, giving them their characteristic red, purple, or blue colors.

Competition for Light Absorption:
When both chlorophyll and anthocyanins are present in a plant, they can potentially compete for light absorption. This is because they absorb light in overlapping but not identical regions of the spectrum. In areas of the spectrum where the absorption peaks of chlorophyll and anthocyanins overlap (such as in the red region), there may be competition for available photons.

Effects on Photosynthesis:
Beneficial Effects: In some cases, the presence of anthocyanins can be beneficial for plants. For example, in high light environments, anthocyanins can act as a natural sunscreen, protecting chlorophyll from damage caused by excess light or UV radiation.

Potential Trade-offs: However, if anthocyanins are present in high concentrations, they could potentially reduce the amount of light reaching chlorophyll for photosynthesis. This could lead to a decrease in overall photosynthetic efficiency.

Environmental Factors and Regulation:
The production of anthocyanins is highly responsive to environmental cues, including light intensity, temperature, and nutrient availability. For example, plants exposed to high light levels or UV radiation may produce more anthocyanins as a protective response.

Physiological Roles of Anthocyanins:
Beyond their potential impact on light absorption, anthocyanins have other important functions. They act as antioxidants, protecting plant tissues from oxidative stress. They also play roles in plant signaling, defense against herbivores, and interactions with beneficial microbes.

Insect Protection:
Anthocyanins have been observed to have insect-repellent properties. The pigments may deter certain herbivores, providing an additional layer of defense for the plant.

Genetic Variation and Species Differences:
Different plant species and cultivars may have varying levels of anthocyanin production, which can influence the extent of competition with chlorophyll for light absorption.

Adjusting Light Spectrum for Strains High in Anthocyanins:
For strains with high anthocyanin content, optimizing the light spectrum is crucial. LED grow lights offer the advantage of customizable spectrums. By incorporating more blue and red wavelengths, growers can tailor the light environment to better suit the needs of these strains. This adjustment can enhance photosynthetic efficiency and overall plant health.

Why Anthocyanins Matter:
Plants make anthocyanins in response to strong sunlight and UV rays. These pigments act like natural sunscreen, shielding the plant's vital parts from damage and helping in communication between the plant and its environment.

Advantage in Nature:
Plants with anthocyanins do well in bright, sunny spots. They use light effectively and grow better than those without these pigments. In natural environments, anthocyanins provide a competitive advantage.

Anthocyanins in Cannabis:
Some cannabis strains naturally produce anthocyanins. Outdoors, this can be useful for protecting plants from harsh conditions and UV radiation. However, indoors, where UV light is typically limited in artificial grow lights, the benefits of anthocyanins may be less pronounced.

Growing Cannabis Indoors:
Indoor setups provide the perfect conditions for cannabis growth, with controlled light, temperature, and other factors. Strains without anthocyanins might thrive even better in these settings, as they can use available light more efficiently.

Getting the Most Out of Your Plants:
Efficient photosynthesis is crucial for a good yield. Strains without anthocyanins might allocate a greater proportion of absorbed light toward photosynthesis, potentially leading to bigger harvests.

Conclusion:
While anthocyanins play an essential role in nature, their significance in indoor cannabis cultivation may be diminished due to limited UV light exposure. In secure indoor environments, strains without anthocyanins could be even more productive. Further research is needed to fully understand how these pigments interact with growing methods for better cannabis production indoors.
Green Strains:
  1. Green Crack: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  2. Super Silver Haze: 450-550 grams per square meter indoors
  3. Amnesia Haze: 500-600 grams per square meter indoors
  4. Critical Mass: 500-650 grams per square meter indoors
  5. Northern Lights: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  6. White Widow: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  7. Girl Scout Cookies: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  8. Big Bud: 500-600 grams per square meter indoors
  9. Super Skunk: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  10. Blue Dream: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
Average Yield for Green Strains: 440 grams per square meter indoors.
Green strains have an average yield approximately 14.29% higher than purple strains.
Purple Strains:
  1. Granddaddy Purple (GDP): 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  2. Purple Kush: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  3. Purple Trainwreck: 350-450 grams per square meter indoors
  4. Purple Haze: 300-400 grams per square meter indoors
  5. Blackberry Kush: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  6. Purple Sour Diesel: 400-500 grams per square meter indoors
  7. Purple Cheese: 350-450 grams per square meter indoors
Average Yield for Purple Strains: 385 grams per square meter indoors.

Verdant Whisperer

I also see in some some landraces the green phenos have a loud limonene profiles while the ones with purple lack the limonene, this is an example of the plant having multiple options to protect itself from uv as limonene protects then as well. Seems like they choose one or the other in general with some exceptions having balanced limonene and anthocyanins. The candy canes or mix of purple and green phenos. It's cool the plants have in fail-safes if one doesn't work it can put more energy into another defense mechanism that's similar.seems like limonene helps more with heat, while some strains that are purple deal better with high uv and cooler temps better. Just seems like the east Africa strains are higher in careteniods and limonene. I think intense heat will put more energy into limonene than anthocyanins bc the anthocyanins will sweat more than limonene imo.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

I also see in some some landraces the green phenos have a loud limonene profiles while the ones with purple lack the limonene, this is an example of the plant having multiple options to protect itself from uv as limonene protects then as well. Seems like they choose one or the other in general with some exceptions having balanced limonene and anthocyanins. The candy canes or mix of purple and green phenos. It's cool the plants have in fail-safes if one doesn't work it can put more energy into another defense mechanism that's similar.seems like limonene helps more with heat, while some strains that are purple deal better with high uv and cooler temps better. Just seems like the east Africa strains are higher in careteniods and limonene. I think intense heat will put more energy into limonene than anthocyanins bc the anthocyanins will sweat more than limonene imo.
This comes from my actual experience (and I'm not a AI) but in my experience, I've found the color of cannabis has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with potency and/or yield. And just in the last year I've had purple, orange, and almost black buds. They're nice to look at, no doubt pretty to hold, and I'm sure it helps them to be easily sold... but as far as actual quality or quantity of the buds, I've not found any difference, at all:

orange_bud.jpg

old_lady_black_juju.jpg

southeast lights purple.jpg

Btw, and this is just a suggestion, as you can obviously post however you want, but if you're going to use AI to post on cannabis fora, at least identify the AI you're using and the prompt questions used to get the answer.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Verdant Whisperer

This comes from my actual experience (and I'm not a AI) but in my experience, I've found the color of cannabis has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with potency and/or yield. And just in the last year I've had purple, orange, and almost black buds. They're nice to look at, no doubt pretty to hold, and I'm sure it helps them to be easily sold... but as far as actual quality or quantity of the buds, I've not found any difference, at all:

View attachment 18915730

View attachment 18915731

View attachment 18915732

Btw, and this is just a suggestion, as you can obviously post however you want, but if you're going to use AI to post on cannabis fora, at least identify the AI you're using and the prompt questions used to get the answer.

Just a thought.
Did you read the article, it's about indoor yields, not outdoors all the photos you posted are outdoor plants, instead of bashing that I had ai format the first post which was chat gpt at least read the information posted. It wasn't one question, it was an investigation and when finished had ai put information together professionally, indoors purple strains will yield less than pure green strains because they use the grow lights less efficencently. This article is based on scientific information and was given data to support. I understand you have some plants that do good regardless. But I bet you never totaled the yield of all your southern light green phenos indoors vs the pure purple phenos,I imagine your just going off visual memory. Regardless your southern lights has some beautiful colors <3

Last edited:
The reduction in yield probably isn't due to a lack of photosynthesis. Cyanidin glucosides are as big of a drain as heavy alkenes like limonene. You can feed new shoots, new roots, new fruits, or new colors. Bad choice of antioxidant.

Thiols on the other hand. Called mercaptan because they capture heavy metals like mercury. Oxidation is oxidation. Cannabis doesn't care where it gets its oxidation from. It cares how it handles free radicals.

CharlesU Farley

Did you read the article, it's about indoor yields, not outdoors all the photos you posted are outdoor plants, instead of bashing that I had ai format the first post which was chat gpt at....
No need to read on. You and you AI buddy don't have enough real world, actual cannabis developing experience for me to even waste my time responding to the over-reacting drivel you all just posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

goingrey

If you want your research to be taken seriously you need to start listing and citing your sources.

This idea is interesting but I don't totally buy it. For one the strain list you give is too short to come to any conclusions from, and skewed heavily by a couple of freak yielders on the green side, and I think one of them (the Crit) even has purple phenos..

Found this rather interesting paper about the subject on nightshades:

Quote from it:
Anthocyanins are photoprotective agents which shade and protect the photosynthetic apparatus by absorbing excess visible and UV light and scavenging free radicals (Guo et al., 2008). For instance, red pear fruits (cv. Anjou) and purple pepper leaves (cv. Huai Zi) rich in anthocyanins showed a more stable PS II photosynthetic capacity and a higher photo-oxidation tolerance compared to non-anthocyanin tissues (Li et al., 2008; Ou et al., 2013). Besides, anthocyanins often accumulate in young vegetative tissues and sun-exposed side of fruits to protect them from photoinhibition and photobleaching under light stress without significantly compromising photosynthesis (Steyn et al., 2002; Gould, 2003; Li and Cheng, 2008; Zhu et al., 2017).

So there is a "not significant" (but still some kind of) negative effect on photosynthesis, which gives some credence to your theory, but it is important to not jump too far into conclusions.

Verdant Whisperer

If you want your research to be taken seriously you need to start listing and citing your sources.

This idea is interesting but I don't totally buy it. For one the strain list you give is too short to come to any conclusions from, and skewed heavily by a couple of freak yielders on the green side, and I think one of them (the Crit) even has purple phenos..

Found this rather interesting paper about the subject on nightshades:

Quote from it:
Anthocyanins are photoprotective agents which shade and protect the photosynthetic apparatus by absorbing excess visible and UV light and scavenging free radicals (Guo et al., 2008). For instance, red pear fruits (cv. Anjou) and purple pepper leaves (cv. Huai Zi) rich in anthocyanins showed a more stable PS II photosynthetic capacity and a higher photo-oxidation tolerance compared to non-anthocyanin tissues (Li et al., 2008; Ou et al., 2013). Besides, anthocyanins often accumulate in young vegetative tissues and sun-exposed side of fruits to protect them from photoinhibition and photobleaching under light stress without significantly compromising photosynthesis (Steyn et al., 2002; Gould, 2003; Li and Cheng, 2008; Zhu et al., 2017).

So there is a "not significant" (but still some kind of) negative effect on photosynthesis, which gives some credence to your theory, but it is important to not jump too far into conclusions.
A plant in full sun outside purple will help it deal with excess uv and light, but indoor under grow lights and indoor strains are tailored for alot of nutes and can grow rapidly and use most of the light from a grow light, this is different than the sun on a bright and high uv day. As most indoor grow lights lack uv and the intensity of the sun, as stated before by frakenbiene it takes a lot of energy to make anthocyanins, therefore an indoor plant will have more energy for creating chlorophyll and growth than the added production of anthocyanins. It seems logical a plant that doesn't need to create or use this compound will have more energy for the compunds it needs. And not having the anthocyanins overlapping with red spectrum should help somewhat,but based on your article i think when it comes to the green phenos there more efficient in using the the indoor grow environment because more chlorophyll and there resources are not wasted on compounds not need in indoor grows. If your green phenos have to much light you can always tone down your grow light or raise them.

goingrey

A plant in full sun outside purple will help it deal with excess uv and light, but indoor under grow lights and indoor strains are tailored for alot of nutes and can grow rapidly and use most of the light from a grow light, this is different than the sun on a bright and high uv day. As most indoor grow lights lack uv and the intensity of the sun, as stated before by frakenbiene it takes a lot of energy to make anthocyanins, therefore an indoor plant will have more energy for creating chlorophyll and growth than the added production of anthocyanins. It seems logical a plant that doesn't need to create or use this compound will have more energy for the compunds it needs. And not having the anthocyanins overlapping with red spectrum should help somewhat,but based on your article i think when it comes to the green phenos there more efficient in using the the indoor grow environment because more chlorophyll and there resources are not wasted on compounds not need in indoor grows. If your green phenos have to much light you can always tone down your grow light or raise them.
Well how much energy exactly is used? And who's to say it's wasted? People like purple weed, and anthocyanins are good for your health. ;)

But ok, I understand you mean the photoprotective qualities are unnecessary. Maybe so. But is it just about that? Could it also be about more efficient use than just blocking excess light, the paper says "more stable PS II photosynthetic capacity and a higher photo-oxidation tolerance".

Verdant Whisperer

Well how much energy exactly is used? And who's to say it's wasted? People like purple weed, and anthocyanins are good for your health. ;)

But ok, I understand you mean the photoprotective qualities are unnecessary. Maybe so. But is it just about that? Could it also be about more efficient use than just blocking excess light, the paper says "more stable PS II photosynthetic capacity and a higher photo-oxidation tolerance".
I love purple weed, don't get me wrong, Its special for sure. I was just pointing out from a yields perspective. doesn't mean green buds better just I think it will yield more indoors in general based on those factors. it defiantly helps with excessive light but a grower with the lights dialed in it's not necessary. Probably a purple strain would be more forgiving for a new grower not sure about light height and placing it too close.

Hiddenjems

I’ve never grown a strain with purple in the name that impressed me with potency. I’m sure they’re out there. But even the blueberry I used to run was more potent than any of the purple stuff.

Brother Nature

I've always found purple weed has a significant body and sleepy component to it over the green phenotypes from the same strains. Can't say I've seen yields go down in any noticeable way with those purple strains, but that's all just personal experience.

Verdant Whisperer

I've always found purple weed has a significant body and sleepy component to it over the green phenotypes from the same strains. Can't say I've seen yields go down in any noticeable way with those purple strains, but that's all just personal experience.
I noticed that as well. and that the smoke from the purple ones is a lot heavier, i smoked a joint of pure purple nug yesterday, then later on smoked a green nug joint and it felt like i was smoking air, didn't even feel the smoke, where the purple joint was heavy i felt the smoke for sure.

Last edited: