What's new

Lollipopping

stellis0358

I did a search first before posting and I didn't see any thread that looked like it addresses my question.

At what stage do you lollipop and how many nodes do you leave?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Growing is an art not a science. You can't do this by numbers, you have to make it up as you go. It depends on your plant, plant count, lighting, space, all sorts of variables come into play. But basically you are removing material from the plant that will produce rubbish buds due to low light levels. If your strain is a low stretch one, then you do it constantly, if it's a high stretch plant, you may wait until the main stretch has finished. But there aren't rules, it's growers choice.

stellis0358

I know what I do and when I do it, just trying to get a general idea of what others do. I figured I would get a diverse range of answers. I know I'm always conservative when it comes to lollipopping. I just hate the idea of pulling off bud from the plant. Now if I were selling that would be an issue for me as those popcorn buds don't have much bag appeal. But I'm not. But I do make my own butter so I'm not overly concerned about ending up with popcorn buds. But I really need to start getting a little braver and remove more than I have in the past - hence the question about the nodes. I think I remember seeing from one source you should leave the top 3 nodes.

albertgriffiths

I'm leaving the top 5 or 6 nodes on each cola, as in my experience under that I only get larfy popcorn.
But as @GMT said, it depends on the light you're using, number of plants, genetics...

I'm doing it at F+21, as well as a little defoliation if necessary (very light, usually around 5 leaves per plant, which is about 10% of total leaves). And that's all I'm doing.

Reactions: GMT

Latest posts

Latest posts