What's new

Isolating males before they burst

P

polzek

I’m doing some personal reproduction and my question is,

If I move the male just before the first pods open to a closet with just a 15W LED (1500lm, 4000K), will it be enough to collect pollen in the next 2 weeks?

Or do I need to give him stronger light?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It'll work if you use a trick I figured out. ;)

Once or twice a day, search the plant for the fattest pods which are about to burst. You'll see stripes beginning to form down their sides as they split open. Pull them off and get rid of them. Male pods I eat, feminized pods I throw away.

When you're pulling a hundred or so pods off each day, it's ready. Within a week, even under a 15w light, you'll have loads of pollen dumping. :)

P

polzek

So basically what you are saying is that I keep it in the flower room and stripe down any fast pods so that the majority of the smaller one's ripen enough to be able to burst under my 15W later?

I wood

That would work fine.
11 watts of led in a clip on work light keep males going in a bathroom and provide pollen for at least several weeks. I tend to use them and move on to the next after a couple of weeks, keeping only one male shedding pollen at a time to reduce accidental pollination.

Hookahhead

Yeah your light should be be sufficient. I’ve even seen photos of people clipping a branch, and putting it in water. The pods still opened and dropped their load after a few days. Basically once they’re close, there is nothin stopping them!

P

polzek

Ok, I’ll try pulling him out at the latest time possible and snip any super early bursters.

M

Mr D

So basically what you are saying is that I keep it in the flower room and stripe down any fast pods so that the majority of the smaller one's ripen enough to be able to burst under my 15W later?

You can do that or just move them before any male flowers open.

They will continue to flower for a couple weeks even under 24/0 lighting.

Revegging doesn't happen overnight.

I move them to another room and put them under a clamp light with a LED flood light bulb 24/0 lighting.

TheDarkStorm

Once a male is that far gone you dont need much light to get him to spill...just get him close put him in the cupboard with your 15-20 watter and continue your 12/12...just put some paper sheeting on the top ov your pot an bobs your uncle.

JockBudman

I just take mine out the tent and stick them in the spare room with soft window lighting. They don't always look great by the time I cut them but I still get pollen.

Might try that pod pinching trick in future though.

troutman

Seed Whore
The minute you can tell it's a male. You could isolate it and give it a few more hours of light a day to delay it's maturity.
While the females still get their normal flowering regime elsewhere. Bring in the male when you're ready. I've done this.

Treevly

The minute you can tell it's a male. You could isolate it and give it a few more hours of light a day to delay it's maturity.
While the females still get their normal flowering regime elsewhere. Bring in the male when you're ready. I've done this.

That is something I will struggle with this year. There's going to be a lot of sperm-juggling going on.
:party:

Dkeppel

Has anyone tried those isolation bags ? Maybe you could take a cut off desired male and put an isolation bag over it ?

Green Zenit

Yeah your light should be be sufficient. I’ve even seen photos of people clipping a branch, and putting it in water. The pods still opened and dropped their load after a few days. Basically once they’re close, there is nothin stopping them!
😂 nothing stops them busting a nut 🥜!

tricloud

It'll work if you use a trick I figured out. ;)

Once or twice a day, search the plant for the fattest pods which are about to burst. You'll see stripes beginning to form down their sides as they split open. Pull them off and get rid of them. Male pods I eat, feminized pods I throw away.

When you're pulling a hundred or so pods off each day, it's ready. Within a week, even under a 15w light, you'll have loads of pollen dumping. :)
If you save those balls you are eating makes life much easier. I let them dry and use the pollen out of these. When the male is ready to blow up, I chop him down and throw him away before he becomes a serious nuisance. Then I take the girl I want to pollinate, put her in there bath tub. Then I break out a few q tips and hand pollinate the flowers I want. Then I let her sit in the batch tub for about 4 hours and after that I turn the shower on to a mild stream of cool water to sterilize the pollen. shake her off and put her in the flower room. Simple as it gets.

tricloud

That is something I will struggle with this year. There's going to be a lot of sperm-juggling going on.
:party:
Once a male has started to flower you can put it under 24 hours of light but it's still going to flower and you aren't going to slow it down very much at all.