What's new

Is Sodium Bisulfate ok for PH ?

G

Apparently you can....but not recommended.

The main difference that you should take note of is that pH down made purposely for hydroponics not only brings that pH down, but contains the acid's conjugate base in equal proportions which allows the pH down to have a buffering effect. Buffering effect means that when the pH reaches a certain number, the acid and base in the solution constantly react together to keep the pH steady, which is what plants need to be healthy.

Using sodium bisulfate has no buffering capabilities, so when it drops the pH, no further reactions will take place and the pH will not remain steady....which is detrimental to healthy plant life.

Here's what I found from Wikipedia.....hope this helps some.

"Phosphoric acid is also used in hydroponics pH solutions to lower the pH of nutrient solutions. While other types of acids can be used, phosphorus is a nutrient used by plants, especially during flowering, making phosphoric acid particularly desirable. General Hydroponics pH Down liquid solution contains phosphoric acid in addition to citric acid and ammonium bisulfate with buffers to maintain a stable pH in the nutrient reservoir."

Last edited:
Reactions: Boo

1833SEEDUSA

Apparently you can....but not recommended.

The main difference that you should take note of is that pH down made purposely for hydroponics not only brings that pH down, but contains the acid's conjugate base in equal proportions which allows the pH down to have a buffering effect. Buffering effect means that when the pH reaches a certain number, the acid and base in the solution constantly react together to keep the pH steady, which is what plants need to be healthy.

Using sodium bisulfate has no buffering capabilities, so when it drops the pH, no further reactions will take place and the pH will not remain steady....which is detrimental to healthy plant life.

Here's what I found from Wikipedia.....hope this helps some.

"Phosphoric acid is also used in hydroponics pH solutions to lower the pH of nutrient solutions. While other types of acids can be used, phosphorus is a nutrient used by plants, especially during flowering, making phosphoric acid particularly desirable. General Hydroponics pH Down liquid solution contains phosphoric acid in addition to citric acid and ammonium bisulfate with buffers to maintain a stable pH in the nutrient reservoir."
Soil is a buffering agent and you should include that knowledge since their are soil growers and hydro growers and lots of hydro growers give advice to soil growers when you shouldn't, how are they supposed to know you are talking about growing in hydro specifically?

Reactions: Boo
I've been using white vinegar for the past year with no issues. Few drops in a gal of water drops my pH from 9 to 5-6 with total ppm of 60-80. If your water quality is 200ppm or higher, it might take a lil more.

Soil is a buffering agent and you should include that knowledge since their are soil growers and hydro growers and lots of hydro growers give advice to soil growers when you shouldn't, how are they supposed to know you are talking about growing in hydro specifically?

If I didnt do pH adjustments, one application of floraflex would cause all the new growth to turn almost neon yellow. I think it's iron lockout. This happens to me with coco and fox farm soils. So at the very least, I know the pH remains somewhat stable in the medium with the vinegar.

I could pivot to organics in the same pot/plant the next day and completely ignore the pH without issues though. It almost doesn't matter at all with organics.

Latest posts

Latest posts