What's new

I have Old Seeds from the late 80's into early 90's

Mithridate

This method of applying a low current to the seeds is extremely fascinating. What is the science behind this technique and helping old seeds to germinate? What was the rate of success for conducted seeds vs non? Also, why specifically a 12V? Sorry to pose a lot of questions, very curious here. Thank you!
I got the method from own very own @Rory Borealis and having read about electroculture i thought I'd give it a try...

Germination rate hovered around ZERO with more conventional methods.. already from the first round of electrocution I noticed a couple per 100 had grown tails in paper towels within 24hrs. Then manually cracking the seeds open to help germination I noticed embryos on a lot of them (70+%) had swelled and looked healthy. One problem I encountered with basic methods is the membrane around the embryos was too stiff or embryos too weak to pierce it. Electrocuted seeds had no problem getting through the membrane. Seeds without accumulated a layer of water between the membrane and embryo and drowned unless I intervened. Electrocuted didn't.

All in all.. I went from >1% to 8% germination over about 2000 seeds
Seeds were 30 years old and not mature.. light tan... grey.. most soft shelled.. looked like seeds I discard when doing seeds increases.

I consider it a good tool in one's arsenal

MarineOne

wondered myself, liquid from destructive distillation of wood, kind of Liquid Smoke
diluted can be a growth accelerant for plants
not tried it myself but intriguing

led05

Chasing The Present
1990 seeds of Early Pearl, 5/9 slots (left 9 slots are EP), I’m happy with that

IMG_0296.jpeg

Rory Borealis

Veteran
I got the method from own very own @Rory Borealis and having read about electroculture i thought I'd give it a try...

Germination rate hovered around ZERO with more conventional methods.. already from the first round of electrocution I noticed a couple per 100 had grown tails in paper towels within 24hrs. Then manually cracking the seeds open to help germination I noticed embryos on a lot of them (70+%) had swelled and looked healthy. One problem I encountered with basic methods is the membrane around the embryos was too stiff or embryos too weak to pierce it. Electrocuted seeds had no problem getting through the membrane. Seeds without accumulated a layer of water between the membrane and embryo and drowned unless I intervened. Electrocuted didn't.

All in all.. I went from >1% to 8% germination over about 2000 seeds
Seeds were 30 years old and not mature.. light tan... grey.. most soft shelled.. looked like seeds I discard when doing seeds increases.

I consider it a good tool in one's arsenal
Hell yeah, man. That alarm clock mod is a quick and easy way to get the job done. I love to see the success stories. Well done!

Last edited:

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
yes it does, I've sprouted seeds that would rot with plain water but survived with peroxide/water mix
mine were not as old as yours though
What type of mix should I aim for? My seeds were in dry storage for ~14 years and aren't germing so far.

igrowone

Veteran
What type of mix should I aim for? My seeds were in dry storage for ~14 years and aren't germing so far.
this is where it gets more complicated, haven't had seeds that old
from Beta's seed sprouting guide over in the cuttings/prpopagation subforum suggests:
optionally use fulvic acid and liquid seaweed extract at a rate of 0.5ml each per 100ml H20/H202 solution.
kelp extract is a gentle stimulant to sprouting(I believe)

SunnyListon

Ah, Alex-F, remember you. Didnt you grew the Johnny Blaze just like me, a hundred years ago?

Anyway.
Mostly let them soak in 3 Percent Hydrogen Peroxide Water from the apothecary for an hour, sometime for a day. Then wormcastings or the normal paper cup method. Sometimes put an big loadstone under it

OleReynard

I germed 14 years and older seeds just by scarrifying them before soak.
I dont even do that
Freezer
Soak 24 hours h202 solution and store bought sterilized water a bit of heat from fridge top back side
In between the sheets 2-3 days at the most
Most all my seeds are well over 15 years old

Have found that the beans that have sprouted and take off are the ones that turn into something.
Those that have a tail a quarter inch and stays that way for a couple days aint worth the time

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If i have the space i give the runts every chance , one just sat there for five weeks at the first true leaf stage then shot up and nearly caught up with the rest by the end and was the best of that batch.
A few gems to be found but the ones that stall nearly always get culled before flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts