What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade Carbon Filter Club

G

Everyone has a club and gets great pics, so why not have a homemade carbon filter club for all of the micro growers.It is as important as lighting.Show us your good/bad or burnt the house down designs,and the fans that are connected to them.

G

Please form a carbon filter club its the most important part of your grow.

TORO!

weedkiller said:
Please form a carbon filter club its the most important part of your grow.

Ha, it is the least important part of your micro grow and has no affect on your harvest unless you are living with your parents or something. That said I am making a nice homemade filter tomorrow and have 15 pounds of carbon sitting in a box.

G

I'd have to say as a young man living in an apartment a carbon filter is highly important. Just today my landlord, came by for a visit and noticed nothing 38 day s into 12/12. TORO!, you're right it has no affect on your total harvest weight at all, the only effect it has is in your security in getting to harvest. Glad you're making a filter, just as effective and way cheaper than purchasing one. I found Durban Poison's guide to be easy to follow and informative. I'll snap some pix of the one I built at some point in the future.

BTW TORO! did you pick your nick b/c you like TORO tubes? they rule

Last edited:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
my contribution

I can't remember whos idea this was on this site but it is great. It takes about two containers of carbon to fill it and it lasts longer than seven months. I just changed it out a couple of days ago because I had some carbon sitting around and I was tired of looking at it. I love it. It is more important than my lights. With out it. I wouldn't grow at all.

Last edited:
well, that is the tricky part, i just glued it. it was easiest and quickest way for me, and most important cheapest cause i tried to do my box as cheap as possible but when time comes to remove it ill have to tear it down. you can try to work something out so you can attach and remove it easily. use your imagination. good thing is you can make it in 10min if you have everything you need.

Pig-Pen

Connoisseur300 said:
my contribution

I can't remember whos idea this was on this site but it is great. It takes about two containers of carbon to fill it and it lasts longer than seven months. I just changed it out a couple of days ago because I had some carbon sitting around and I was tired of looking at it. I love it. It is more important than my lights. With out it. I wouldn't grow at all.

That's actually the Sun-Scrubber, courtesy of Sun Is Shining @ OG.;) Someone posted part of the original thread in Pontiac's DIY thread. :yes:

There's a couple threads about it in the Design forum, but I guess those guys don't know the roots, as they never gave props. :spank:

@dtoker:

Man, nice looking filter you got there... liiks easy to attach and remove... cool design! could you write a little bit more details on what material did you use? i can see that's plastic cd case you used, if i'm not wrong?

Cool Filter!
:headbange

dtoker

hi mate, cheers!

well i used some plastic netting type stuff which i found at the hooby store, i think its the stuff that grannies use to do embroideries and such. its quite strong stuff so i cut it to size and use a hot glue gun to stick it together. i then made a smaller piece to go inside. then i stretched some tights over them, filled up with carbon and glued on the cd case spindle, glued the base with a hole cut out over the fan in my pc and there u go! seems to work a treat.

Thanks for the quick response! i think i'll build my next filter like that, does it block much air? i mean is the airflow good through it?

dtoker

yeah mate pretty spot on id say, it does block a bit where im mainly blowing though it but i dont have temp or smell issues.

im a bit of a perfectionist so i think the next time i build one i will take the time to cut out a peice on each of the holes to make them into slots just to try and improve on it. like you say though its easy to remove etc so i can just swap it over or whatever.

hope u can find the plastic stuff mate if ur using this design, try a hobby store in te knitting section :joint:

i'll find it probably, i have a good pet store in my town.. one more question... can i use a hot glue gun for glueing metal net (something like metal net for mosquito protection but little bit stronger, sturdier) to plastic (on cd case spindle)... metal net could be better for airflow? i mean air could get through it a lot easier... and make a bottom of filter from the cover piece of cd case?

TORO!

if you guys need carbon just order it on ebay i paid like $25 for 15 pounds.

and i want to design the ultimate 120mm fan filter for my double case. I could go with dual 120mm filter too or one taller one.

Latest posts

Latest posts