What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Experiment : Brick seed from Paraguay

droopy

Hi,

I'm a long time amateur grower (since +20 years) but I started a year ago growing better (buying seeds, with an HPS and so on ...).

I live somewhere in south America and the only weed that can be bought locally are bricks coming from Paraguay : mix of male and female, with seeds, strong ammoniac smell (human pee ?). This weed always has a couchlock effect.

A week ago, I started about 20 seeds from one of those bricks, already 4 have sprouted and they are developping nicely.

I won't veg for too long (like 2 or 3 weeks... I'll see depending whether the plants are rather indicas or sativas, probably a mix leaning on the sativa side... just a guess).

For veg, I'm using CFLs and for flower time I'll be using a 400W HPS, soil.

I know nothing about Paraguayan strains, chances are they are a mix of landraces and ???.

Stay tuned. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

That's 7 days since they sprouted (larger plants in the distance are nirvana white rhinos by the way, started about a week earlier).

Nugz

I grew some Paraguayan brick last year from some beans I saved from some super nice stinky and strong lime green "almost" seedless brick weed back from 2004, got 2 females out of the few I germinated, one was more indica and the other pure sativa. The indica one smelled like coffee beans in flower and after the buds dried and cured, had skunky-roasted coffee beans taste to it. The sativa dom female took about 5 months or so in flower until I decided it had been too long, but could have probaly went for another month or so. The brick weed that the seeds came from tasted a lot different, a lot richer taste to it, because it was grown outdoors, where they can be grown to their fullest potential, especially in tropical areas of the world.

Good luck!

Nugz

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Very interested in how this one develops. I would imagine the 'pee' smell is more from bad curing/storage than the intrinsic aroma of the strain (I hope not!). Can you see intact buds in the bricks, or any indication of what they might have looked like before crushing?

I'm definitely a fan of bagseed grows now, espcially from the more exotic locales...:)

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
good score droopy, nothing wrong with experimenting. B_H, E man and others have found good bagseed gems from other places, hopefully the luck continues with you. :lurk:

blan-k-flor

Veteran
Paraguayan brick weed i grew last season. Powerfull uplifting high! Tastes like rotten onions and a shot of menthol :headbange

I promess more pictures.
I got 1 flowering now but is another paraguayan, from Pedro Juan Caballero. I promess pics...

droopy

@ nugz good luck
Thanks !

@ supah don´t forget to show us some paraguayan buds!
I sure will !

@ elevator man I would imagine the 'pee' smell is more from bad curing/storage than the intrinsic aroma of the strain (I hope not!). Can you see intact buds in the bricks, or any indication of what they might have looked like before crushing?
I've been digging the subject a bit. In the country I live in, I heard a few times that it was human pee (explanation was : for the nitrogen) but it sounds more like a legend.
The truth seems to be that the smell comes from ammonium hydroxide : it is used to dissolve cellulosic fiber in order to make the brick very compact (and eventually to add weight + mask a bit the smell). From what I've been reading, the paraguayans created this method.
I include an article about the paraguayan brick (called too "prensado paraguayo"), that's how it looks like (smells ammonia, couchlock effect).
Oddly enough the article says the farmers are given the seeds to grow them, I rather think (other sources) that they use again the seeds from the plants year after year. There may be (probable) a percentage of a sativa paraguayan landrace in those bricks (may vary I guess).

@ abirdintheair Thanks, in 3 months I'll test the first smoke !

@ blan-k-flor Indeed it would be interesting to see more pictures (I'll check on my side too if I can be authorized to import pictures of those plants from spanish speaking boards). It would be interesting to see if there are common traits to those paraguayan ladies !

2 more seeds have sprouted, so I've now 5 plants on the run !

Last edited:
G

Interesting info about the Paraguayan ammonia use. I have seen and smelt many pieces of brickweed that smelt like ammonia, I always thought it was from bad handling and fermentation.

I recently had a Trainwreck pheno that smelt exactly like cat piss.

droopy

To make a little comparison between various paraguayan grown under various conditions :

Plant 1

Plant 2

Plant 3

Plant 4

Plant 5 (maybe the same as plant 4)

Plant 6

Plant 7

Plant 8

Plant 9

Plant 10

blan-k-flor

Veteran
Hi droopy. I think there was a lot of hybridization with indicas in Paraguay because of faster growing and flowering times. Luckily this one looks almost 100% sativa. The other I have (from Pedro Juan Caballero) seems it has some indica mixed. Some more pics from my sativa:

nite

wow love the pictures
makes me remember a good bagseed male from chunky brick-weed around 2000 that was early, looked indica and smelled like coffee,,,,
its F2's ended up being early (sept.15th, finished "coffee skunK" rock hard nugs;;;;;

droopy

Update : Starting 12/12 on three of the five seeds that sprouted (april 24).

So that's about 10 days since they sprouted (among the 5 seeds that sprouted, three sprouted earlier, that's the ones I am starting to flower right now, I'll keep the two others vegging) and that's just about 4 days vegging for them before being put under 12/12 (almost a 12/12 from seed, that should be fine since they should have a good part made of sativa genetics). Eventually, a few other seeds from the brick will sprout but that's another story.

Those three first plants have been put on april 24 under my 400W HPS with a huge fan and low/medium temps (like 15/20 C).
I'll transplant them for the last time in two to three weeks.

Those three are named A, B, C (D and E will keep vegging for now).

Update to follow in about a week.

Last edited:

blan-k-flor

Veteran
These are my paraguayan from Pedro Juan Caballero ("chacreras"). I think they are similar to your "plant N° 5" in estructure and leaf shape. I sprouted 6 seeds and i had 5 males and 1 girl, but my friends have more seeds to try. Next pics are mixed photos of the males:

All thogether:

And the girls at 22 days flowering outdoor pregnant with KaliMist male:

droopy

9 days under 12/12

9 days under 12/12

Update :
- 9 days ago, I placed 3 of the 5 plants under 12/12.
One of them died (probably nute burn, changed the soil but it was too late).

The other two are growing quite quickly (they already have the same size as some nirvana white rhino I started 7 or 10 days before). They grow really quick so I'm a bit afraid they might be males, but well, at worse I'll have pollen (I have about 20 more paraguayan seeds anyway).

Those pictures :
- 9 days under 12/12
- a bit more than two weeks since seeds sprouted.

droopy

Hola Che (soy porteno) !

Nice to see you around. I am quite curious about your kali mist cross (kali mist is numero 1 on my list). I am running right now : nirvana papaya, nirvana white rhino, paraguayan and I just started more paraguayan, ch9 aroma, ch9 green bud, mandala safari mix and xyz sweet kush (so I have 7 strains running now).

Did you get nice seeds from the kali mist/paraguayan ?

droopy

17 days under 12/12

17 days under 12/12

Update :
- 17 days ago, those two were placed under 12/12.
One of them revealed its gender during last night (male).
They are quite leaning on the indica side.

Those pictures :
- 17 days under 12/12
- a bit more than three weeks since seeds sprouted.

blan-k-flor

Veteran
Hola colega :wave: !
satori x kalimist produces top notch! A powerfull and "spiritual" type of high. The KM male i´m using is from a friend and since it is a very good male i´m crossing another strains i have with him but the descendence is untested at the moment. Hasta pronto :wave: !
"chacrera" day 40 flowering, pregnant by KM

C

Chamba

Interesting info about the Paraguayan ammonia use. I have seen and smelt many pieces of brickweed that smelt like ammonia, I always thought it was from bad handling and fermentation.

it is

I can't read Spanish, but it's ridiculous to think that any commercial brick has piss smell added to it on purpose.....the ammonia smell comes from bricking it while not fully dry.

when they get an order for another plane load do you really think they give a shit about whether it's dry or not?

.....part of the problem is the climate, plants in many tropical areas never really get to the snap dry stage in the first few months after harvesting as the humidity levels are too high all of the time.

I'd imagine the growers cut the plants and leave them there in the sun and rain for a few weeks, trim off the stalks and compact them ready for the next plane or truck to pick them up.

you can compact buds, but they will just expand out again...so one method I know to make brick is to spray the buds with a light mist of strong liquor, then press and wrap them..the alcohol/wetness helps the buds stay compacted and prevents molding (and the piss smell)

they either need to use a higher alcohol content, spray more on and make sure the buds are mostly dry before compacting to prevent moldy smells

Last edited:

droopy

Update :
- 23 days ago, two paraguayans were placed under 12/12. One turned out to be a male (chop), this one is a female (showed hairs 5 days ago, took 18 days to show female sex under 12/12 and 16 days for the male sexed one).

Those pictures :
- 23 days under 12/12
- a bit more than four weeks since seeds sprouted (it's almost a 12/12 from seed since I almost didn't vegged).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts