What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electronic ballast RF interference status

clowntown

Veteran
Great link, stonewall!

Wish they had 'em at Home Depot so I could buy it, use it, and return it. As it stands right now I can barely afford to get all my equipment together. I think as long as I'm not causing any realistic interferences with anything, I'm okay. I know safety should be the first and foremost priority, but I can't see how this could go wrong in my situation with this. Maybe in the future when I can afford one...

But for anyone doing a larger, commercial grow I think that tool is a must.

Sauce

clowntown said:
Wish they had 'em at Home Depot so I could buy it, use it, and return it.

:biglaugh:

Good idea compiling this list. No matter what though I'm sold on buying an electronic ballast, especially at how cheap mdhydro has them. I live in a small apt and can't fucking stand the humming noise of my ballast. My friend has a better magnetic ballast and it makes almost no noise but it still gives off a decent amount of heat.

clowntown

Veteran
I haven't been able to do extensive testing on my blue Lumatek yet, but from Mr GreenJeans' testing it sounds like it's the real deal. Even prior to receiving these test results I had heard many times how Lumatek specifically took care of the RF EMI issues on this version, and so far I believe it.

clowntown

Veteran
These are fuzygrowth's 240v Lumatek 600w's, both the new blue model and the 2nd-generation silver model with attached, shielded lamp cord:

Last edited:

hogwild

good to know considering i was just about to make the digital leap. Ive got so much technology over here, everything would be crippled by a crappy ballast that causes interference.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Are any of the ones that fail FCC tested like the HID HUT ones? Thats what I am planning to get when I move.

homerq

I know of a 400w HIDHUT switchable 120v digital ballast.
I can tell you that it is only shielded by 1 piece of sheetrock, and is about 1-2' away from:

1 computer with wireless internet connection that is 25 feet away
1 plasma tv
1 HDTV satellite tv box
1 Home Theatre sound system
1 Bose Subwoofer

added:

cell phone
cordless phone
FM works fine
no AM antenna hooked to my system, I use xm satellite
XM satellite
2 webcams inside box

I can say for certain that there is NO INTERFERENCE with ANY of these items.
I have not seen any problems with anything yet after 3 -4 months.
Seems to work great. Hope this helps. I am glad I stumbled onto HIDHUT now after reading all these other posts.

pico

Veteran
yeah I just got some bulbs from HIDHUT today. Their shipping is fast but their packages do seem to get busted up from time to time in shipment. I know if you have a bad ballast they swap you for a new one ASAP.

Nice little compilation here. I'm sure that eventually some electrician on here will whip out an RF meter and get the definitive answers. We growers are all sorts of regular people.

Merman

This from HTGSupply (High Tech Garden Supply):

Brand: Digital Greenhouse
Type: 400W digital switchable MH/HPS (115V)
Model Number: can't get to it right now....
Warranty: two years
Rating: U.L. listed, FCC approved for home/commercial use (I have not seen any other digital ballast that can make this claim!)
Radio: OK
Cable: OK
DSL: OK (wireless also OK)
Cell phone: OK

Distance: approx. 50 feet from nearest DSL/cable router.

Overall: After two years of near constant use: no problems of any kind, great unit, dig the switchable, no surprise visits from cableguy or AT+T.

The folks at HTG are real cool also, great light/reflector packages. :chin:HTGSupply

Last edited:
Fantastic thread!

I've been looking long and hard at digital ballasts and I'll be using these reports to make my purchase decisions.

Thanks to everyone for the great effort! Especially you clowntown for all of your diligence on this topic.

Peace & :joint:
GG

clowntown

Veteran
homerq: Thanks for the test results! Would you mind sharing what cell phone carrier you use, and what band / frequency on the cordless phone? Something like 900 MHz, or the high-frequency GHz phones? On the wireless network: 802.11b? Or a? Or g?

Ganja Guerilla: So far it appears that the new, blue Lumatek's and HID Hut's models are safe. Sounds like the Digital Greenhouse brand is okay as well, but I feel I don't have enough data on that to be comfortable yet.

For now I'd stay away from the Future-Brite's, not only because of the RF EMI but also because of their poor quality (I'll post more info later on this). Also I'd stay away from the first-generation Lumatek's, and possibly the 2nd generations as well although I have a feeling "goalie" mistook his 1st gen. as a 2nd gen. Not so sure about the LumenAce, I'd like to get more data on that... supposed to be a nice performing ballast, though.

Anyone have a Galaxy system?

Last edited:
G

Super thread. I'm sure alot of members are going to be reading this one. Great info for those thinking about buying a unit or making the switch to digital. Thanks for sharing the info with us.
Merry Christmas,
BG

PS, for those thinking about using one of these unit with a generator. Don't do it. You will fire the unit within a amount of time. These units do not work well with a generator. They will work for awhile, but in the end. You will cook them and void the warranty.
Take care,
BG

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
Not many of these manufacturers have websites; and if they do, it's not very useful. The ones that HID Hut sells are not manufactured by them, but simply an unbranded system.

Anyways, fuzygrowth and I purchased our Lumatek's from MD Hydro. I paid $180 for the 600w/120v ballast ($185 now). Lower wattage models are less expensive.

Paid $25 for the cord set. It's a proprietary Hydrofarm plug, so unless you're comfortable wiring it yourself I'd recommend you pay the $25. It also comes with a "bulb centering" socket kit which is pretty nice, if you can get it to work with your reflector (most Hydrofarm reflectors will be fine).

I believe MD Hydro is the "best" place to get them from, considering their price (most other places will want 50% - 100%+ more for the exact same thing). There are a lot of happy MD Hydro customers on ICMag, and they also accept money orders and can ship discreetly.

HID Hut is pretty straight-forward; I don't have any experience with them, but IMO for a little bit more money it's worth getting the Lumatek. 5 year warranty vs. 1 year, known brand, proven performance.

Tomatoesonly said:
I just want to add that this guy, at HIDHUT, does stand behind his ballasts. Even though they only have a 1 year warranty, he will stand behind that and not try to weasel out of it.

I would also like to add, that comparing the Lumatek, Lumenace ballasts to his 600 is night and day. His 600's have the same feel as my lumenace 400's. They are much smaller and lighter than a 600W Lumenace or Lumatek.
Just my :2cents:

Last edited: