What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crash course in germinating

RalphWiley

I've read through a number of threads on the subject and am just checking to make sure I'm not messing anything up. But first, a bit of backstory. My S.O. was packing a bowl and happened to find a bean in an extremely exclusive (non-commercially available) kush strain. I'm positive it's from a hermied plant, and I understand that what you smoke isn't what will grow, but I've just got to give this one a shot.

Right now I've got the seed soaking in purified water, and will continue to do so for the next 15 hours or so. I'm then going to plant it in a canna/perlite filled party cup at approximately 1/2" depth. I'll cover the top with saran wrap to keep the humidity up, and exchange air twice a day (the same thing I do with my clones). I figure I can toss it in with my vegging plants at 18/6 (how close should it be to the light?) and give it a mixture of PH'd water and rhizotonic.

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get this opportunity again, so feedback is highly appreciated. I'm not holding my breath (the seed's been curing with buds for at least a month or two), but figure if I'm going to try I should do it right. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

Sounds like you are making it harder than it has to be, simple mistake most peopel make. You have to remember , its a weed. It can grow no matter what. You checkin g it wont help. As far as germing. Keep it simple. Stick them in a glass of tapwater and then put them in the cabinet where u got that glass. Check after 36-48 hours and taisl will sprout. After that plant them in dirt 1/2 to 1 inch down. No wrap over the cups or anything crazy. Just stick them under floros and water every 3 days or so with plain water.

YOu dont have to keep checking on them or do to much to them. They are weeds, they grow no matter what

Nevermind

RalphWiley

Thanks, Mr. Nevermind. Only reason I'd put the saran wrap over the top is because it's what I'm used to (only grown from clones so far), and because the RH in my cab is in the 30s.

sproutco

Veteran
Saran wrap is cool

Saran wrap is cool

Place good seeds in some distilled water in a small cup. Allow to soak for 12 hours. Now put them in a soilless mix without any ferts. Only lime and gypsum. See my signature below for directions on soilless mixes. Plant 1/4 inch deep in your really wet soil mix. Use the remainder of your distilled water to really wet the soil before inserting the seed. Cover lightly and carefully with soil over the seed in its new hole. It should no longer be visible. Spray soil down with water to settle the soil. Dont spray so hard it disturbs the depth of the seed. Place in 75 to 90 degree temperatures. It may be helpful to cover your small 16 ounce or so size containers with clear plastic wrap to retain moisture and not allow the soil to dry out. When sprouts begin to appear, quickly remove wrap. Place 1 to 2 inches away from florescent tube lights 20-40 watts per square foot. A mixture of warm white and cool white bulbs works well but cool white by itself can be used in a pinch. Shop lights work well. When seedlings get their first true leaves not the first unserrated leaves or codyledons, apply a very gentle dose of complete fertilizer like 20-20-20. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. Now they are growing.

Hps or mh lamps can be used on a 18/6 light cycle to grow seeds. 400 watt lamps should be about 18" away. Don't want too much light and burn seedlings but on the other hand not too far away they stretch too much. Using hid before the seeds even pop out of the ground can be useful. They add warmth that speeds germination.

Last edited:

RalphWiley

Thanks much, Sproutco. I figure I'll just start it on the same canna nutes I'm using for the rest of my vegging plants when it looks hungry, starting at quarter strength and working my way up as it gets bigger. Also, very good to know to remove the wrap once it sprouts, although I guess the theory is the same as clones (high humidity 'til you have roots).

Latest posts

Latest posts