What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Duggy's Super Stealth Desk

duggy

Here's my take on the NGB cabinet.

do something like this:

make it look inconspicuous:

slide in face for hinge-less, light-proof super stealth!

duggy :smoker:

Last edited:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
heya duggz! :D

nice desk.

some questions:

1. does your chair even fit..? :D

2. what kind of fishies? :D

3. are you really going to be using the desk to work on..? or is it just a fish tank displayer..? :chin:

4. do you really have to have drawers with depth? 20cm depth is quite a lot of wasted space when micro growing.. we all now less space means the plants will be less manageable.. also losing out on space for more plants/foliage for higher yields.. etc.

5. how about having totally fake drawers attached to a big piece of board that seals the grow space? the drawers can have fake locks..

---

if you aren't going to use the desk much.. how about making a trellis unit with sliding doors instead? more space, etc..

you probably won't be able to do a trellis, so perhaps you can do the 'totally fake drawers' thing..?

peace!

PS. fear my MS Paint skills! :joint:

duggy

:wave: thanks!

:wave: thanks!

thanks, all!

HotC--

1. yeah, the chair fits, but not quite as nicely as in your picture.

2. for fish i'll go with one of those Siamese fighting fish. little one or two gallon tank is all. superr low maintainance, hard to kill. truthfully, i don't even want fish. i toyed with the idea of putting together a full aquarium stand, 100-150 gallons with a grow space underneath, but couldn't be assed with taking care of the thing. expensive, too.

3. yes, i'll work at the desk. mixing soil. fimming branches. pinching stems.

4. now you really got me thinking about the drawers. you're right, but then when it comes to showing off my handy work, i've got to admit right away that it's a fake. with little drawers i can reach in and grab something and the full stealth effect should be complete. i expect that the wife will figure it out sooner or later, but i keep it stealth from her also (until she figures out) so she knows that i take all possible precautions. When she's used to it, i'll re-design.

on with the tool belt! pics to come!

luv,
duggy
:smoker:

tngreen

Veteran
ill be using a dresser and like the idea of be able to open them up a little. definately post up some pics when you get to that point. i had originally planned to do the fake drawers as highonthechronic said. the locks on the drawers is a great idea, thanks! now ill have an excuse as to why they dont open haha.

duggy

Okay, here's the second step. Notice the ample passive air intakes at the bottom (2 more scheduled for the veg chamber after a battery recharge).

What do you think? Utility chamber too small? gave as much space as I could to the veg chamber. Hm.

duggy

adequate ventilation?

I'll put 2 8cm PC fans on those holes you see there in the utility chamber. there's one hole the same size as the others you see leading from each chamber into the utility chamber. passive intakes on the bottom.

I'm worried. will this give me adequate ventilation? would putting fans leading into the utility chamber help? fuck up my negative pressure?

thanks.

Last edited:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
looking cool, duggywug! :D

not sure if the fans will be adequate, :(

what is the ambient temperature of the room that the box is in? (summer and winter averages).

i don't think those two tiny fans will be pulling much air.. out the 'flowering' chamber at least.. which is where most of your heat will be.

i think the flowering chamber should have seperate fan(s)..

9cm fans are also a bit slow. 120mm is the way to go.. one 120mm in the flowering chamber and you can't go wrong.. (depending on ambient temp). or maybe one 90mm in the utility and two in the flowering chamber.

what are your thoughts on 120mm?

there is a brand that makes 120mm called 'Stealth' - low dB fans, perfect for you.. otherwise the 'ThermalTakes' are great! remember i had them?

duggy

HotC--

thanks for the advice! yeah, I think yr right. i thought if she was too hot, i'd stick with the 70W with some CFLs--but that's a little sad. :frown:

a separate fan leading directly out of the flower chamber is a good idea. problems: gotta mount a carbon scrubber on it and it's all gotta go inside the box. space. hmm. do-able? let me think this one out.

yr really trying to get me to use all that lovely space in there, aren't ya? i know yr fighting in my best interest, but if there's anything fake on it, it's fake. I'll put the half drawers in and if anyone asks why only half, the answer is the inside is for a PC. Also explains the cord coming out and the vent covers on the back. Hopefully, anyone will be able to touch it, use it, and not figure it out.

Trev

those two pc fans.. have them blow right into the utiliy room, and get another fan another 9cm will work great. and just run it right out of the flower chamber and you'll be lookin awesome. in my opinion you could get by with just the 2 blowing into the utility room, but another for safe measures wont hurt anything. put a light in there, turn the 2 fans on and if it stays decent dont waste the money on another?! haha good idea.

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
drug: carbon filters are easy to make :D you can get the activated carbon when you go get the fishies!! :D try do a search for carbon filters/scrubbers, hopefully some ghetto how-to will show up.. let me know if you need help designing one.. best spot would be in the top left corner of the flowering box. some quick brainstorming tells me you should get some 110mm square pvc drain pipe and burn the ends on one side, stretch them a bit to accommodate the 120mm fan and some how fill the inside of the pvc pipe with the activated carbon.. i'm sure you'll need two carbon scrubbers though, i think your air flow will be restricted quite a bit making it harder to cool the (hopefully remote ballast) 150watter.

another idea.. remote ballast the HPS and keep the ballast in, or as close to the utility room as possible. or as close to the outlet fan of the flowering box (120mm i hope)..

if i don't make sense, i will clarify tomorrow.. can't really talk now!!

Trev: why would you want fans blowing into the utility room?

duggy

Up next:

Watch me assemble this bunch of shit. . .

. . .into a carbon scrubber, attach it to a 12cm muffin fan, and mount it to a hole leading out the back of the flower chamber!

Don't miss the fun!

duggy

I'll exhaust one out the utility chamber as well. that one'll be a 8cm muffin--size of the chamber's already determined that. . .

you were right, though, HotC--i remember bitching about temps and circulation with the old cabinet, so i may as well do it right the first time here. thx!

duggy
:smoker:

Latest posts

Latest posts