What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's 63 Watt LED Micro Cab.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, ive just bought one of the small 63 Watt LED lights from Hydro-Grow-LED who has a forum here on ICmag. Been looking for an excuse to do a micro-grow but didnt want to up my power usage too much - so this could be exactly what i am looking for. First off i will do a test grow to put the light through it's paces.

Some of you may have seen my 'quarters' over in the grow diary forums where i do quite well with modular scrog and a 250 watt hid light.

Right - here is the light in question :) first impressions are - its bright! - looking at it will leave the LED pattern burnt onto the back of your retina for quite a while (dont try that at home kids ;) )
picture.php

here is the ouside of the cab - as you can see i still need to make it lightproof. it is squeezed in between my 250 cab and my mum cupboard on the right. the whole setup is in my loft. before you consider the quality of my joinery please bear in mind that most of this was made lying on my back at arm's length. the loft is triangular and only 5' high at he apex.
picture.php

cab with door open - inside dimensions are 1' wide by 20" deep and about 2' of usable height
picture.php

here is the top of the cab - you can see the exhaust vent at the back. the venting is basically plumbed into my existing system that is powered by a 4" variable speed temp controlled fan which pulls air through all the cabs.
picture.php

and the lower half of the cab. the air comes in under the floor and up through the vent holes as seen. the two clones you can see are my Dr atomic NL cut which is a proven decent yielder EDIT: in the end a pre-vegged MMG plant was put in the cab to flower on 15 december. i will probably end up doing a scrog or a 2 unit modular scrog in there.
i still need to put some reflective mylar inside the cab and a couple of other bits and pieces but you get the idea.
picture.php

cheers

V.

Last edited:

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Damn! You gotta be quick to get a good seat in here lol

Edit:

So that little box of fairy lights is about 9" wide by 18" long? And dangling about 18" above the pots?

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya Bobby! - i know wha you mean, but these new units had a couple of 'advancements' that sounded promising to me - the specific light wavelengths and the different lens that keeps the intensity of the light sounded like a good plan to me
we will see...

V.

p.s. - Blimey! - nice to have you here mate

grow1620

wow this looks awesome, just what I've wanted to see..

how is the heat from that panel? what wattage could you compare it to..like is it about as hot as a 42w cfl or something that small?

oh and what angle are those lights?

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Whats up VG, thats cool u bought one of them lights I'm really looking forward to your grow with it. I think u will convince alot of ppl to get them if u rock them plants out like your 250 setup! Good vibez your way :joint:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow this looks awesome, just what I've wanted to see..

how is the heat from that panel? what wattage could you compare it to..like is it about as hot as a 42w cfl or something that small?

oh and what angle are those lights?

hi, i'll let you know about the heat but i doubt it gives out much.
it's supposed to compare to 200 watts of hid lighting, but the footprints of these LED lights is smaller than the equivalent hid footprint. somehow i will have to fit more bud in a smaller area.

the angle is the standard 60 degrees.

incidentally the lights can be ordered with a UK plug and this one arrived 2 weeks after payment which was pretty impressive for saying it was manufactured and sent from china in that time

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats up VG, thats cool u bought one of them lights I'm really looking forward to your grow with it. I think u will convince alot of ppl to get them if u rock them plants out like your 250 setup! Good vibez your way :joint:

thanks mate - yes the light will have to be good to get similar yields per watt to my 250 cab - i do have a target yield but i wont mention it because i will look like a fool if i dont get it :D

V

unthing - glad to be of service ;)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey df - thanks for weiging in :)
i blagged a small discount so it cost me 160 earth pounds including delivery. probably be around 190 to UK regular price - not cheep but then you can pay that for an ounce of top bud so if it works well i'll be happy

hi CC! - my spanish is very poor but those colas need no translation - thanks :)
this is a bit of a cheat microgrow really because the cab is integrated into my existing system - but the size would be easy to fit into a filing cabinet or a fat pc case, speaker etc.

V.

How is the heat on the LED unit?

Looks like it is well ventillated, if heat isn't too much an issue I'd be real keen on picking one of these up

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi asde - i mentioned in the first post that i still need to do that :)

AntelopeDope - too early to tell but from what i've read these give out much less heat than an HPS lamp

V.

rty007

checking in for the show ;) what's the game plan? 6 6x6 inch pots?

EDIT I can bet ya, that your goal is about 100g. how did I do? :)

idontsmoke

Subscribing to this one V!
Your space is roughly the same dimensions as mine and a was thinking of using
LEDs for a long time now.
Can't wait to see this one finish.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maryjohn - thanks, i'll be helping fly the flag for organic soil here too.

rty007 - game plan is fluid really, not quite decided what i should do plant wise for the first run in here. the NL would be good but will require some veg to scrog it in there. i have a MMG that is well vegged with nowhere to go in the main cab so i am tempted to do that as a one plant scrog because i could more or less put i straight to flower. and i have the seedlings of my home made black forrest crosses which i could put straight to 12/12 in there but having never grown them out before it will be harder to make judgements on the LED lights....

what would you do folks ???

idontsmoke - yep its going to be interesting :D

V.