What's new

Thinks of going vertical ebb & grow buckets

BigGreen

Veteran
Well I have some free space opening up and some extra equipment sitting around. Im trying to get the most out of the space and I love trying new things so and I have never done vertical be for.
I Have a 24 site ebb & grow system not being used and Im thinking of using in my new space the room is going to be around 8x8 or something like that I can build to fit what I need. Im thinking of using 4 600 watters scattered around the room Im just not sure on how Im gonna do this yet. Would it be better to stack the 2 600s and use cool tubes and circle 12 plants around each set of light or would it work better to hang them solo naked bulbs around the room?
Im gonna have to do this with no a/c. Im in a 1500 sqft room with the grow room built inside that. Im gonna keep the ambient air temp in the main room at like 50f-55f and use passive air intake and exhaust thru proper fan and filter to exhaust the heat.
Again I can build the room to what ever size I need so if 5x10 would work better thats what Im gonna do.
I could easily drop a couple 1ks in magnum xxxl hoods over them but I want to maximize my grow. This room is going to be competing against 3 1ks over 12xl under current system. So we can all see the difference in yield from 4 600s vertical vs 3 1ks in hoods.

If anybody could shine some light it would be greatly appreciated and the knowledge would be put to good use.
Thanks for the time BigGreen

L

LJB

just one point to offer you - cool tubes are not required for two x 600w HPS stacked one on top of the other.

Floor fan underneath the bottom bulb, column of air going up. Put a cage around the bulbs to keep the plants off of them.

Don't cool tubes cost photons? Please correct if I'm wrong about that.

BigGreen

Veteran
I under stand that I just wanna make sure I can cool the room with out an a/c. If I can do it like that then thats what Im gonna do I think it might be just to hot with out the tubes.
Thanks LJB

L

LJB

I under stand that I just wanna make sure I can cool the room with out an a/c. If I can do it like that then thats what Im gonna do I think it might be just to hot with out the tubes.
Thanks LJB

I am idiot sometimes and don't read carefully before replying. Thanks for the wake up call!

BigGreen

Veteran
No I wouldnt say an idiot probably just a pot head like the rest of us on here. No problem any in put is thought out thanks.

Does anybody else have any pointers or advise anything is helpful I need to start planing the build out and the toy list in the next 2 days. There will be a pretty narly thread starting after the room is up and running 3k 12xl uc vs 4 600s vertical so please lend some wisdom I really pumped to get the ball rollin

solarz

I'd say go with the cool tubes since you wont be running any a/c. I'd still use the fan below the tube idea though, and venting properly from the 55f ambient air in the enclosing room. I've been thinking about turning my 3.5 x 5 closet into a vertical set up and use the 2 600w (hps/mh conversion) in there with 2 gals.

solarz

BigGreen

Veteran
Bump
Thanks solarz for the aadvise.

Im still wondering what gonna be the best way to do this. Anybody ? Im just in debate about just hanging 4 bare bulbs in between roughly 4 plants and get a big ass fan for exhaust or stack the 600s and use the cool tubes with roughly 12 plants around both lights.
It would be nice to here from a couple different people that have done either one of these styles so may be I can look at the pros and cons of each style.

Thanks for any help greatly appreciated

BigGreen

Veteran
What no love for a reflector grower trying to learn this big amazing vertical thing. I know its the shit but I just like getting shit right the first time and not waste any $ on stuff I might just throw in the corner later (like reflectors) if it works out.

M

Mr-B

I'm running a tent with one vertical 600W along with a 400W horizontal.
The 600W is in a cool tube, it's essential for me to run the cool tube since heat build up would be a killer without it..
I'm building racks for the next round but here how mine looks atm.

BigGreen

Veteran
So that fan and filter cool the 400 and the 600? Whats the temp outside the tent and in the tent?
Thanks for the reply mrb

M

Mr-B

BG: I just hooked up a 8" inline fan this morning. The fan is mounted at one end of the tent (outside) and is pulling cool air from outside (the garage) through the 600W cool tube and the 400W horizontal reflector.

Those little 6" in line fans don't pull shit for air but the 8" one is much stronger, plenty enough to cool the lights.
I acn touch the cool tube without getting burned.

My garage temps range from 50 (morning) to 65 at night.
The temp inside the tent stays between 75 and 80 degrees with a 1000W running.
My Co2 controller is set to switch the Co2 off and the big Vortex fan on if the temps get above 82 degrees.
The controller has yet to turn the Vortex on.

I spent $600 on this Sentenal CHHC-1 controller, it was the best investment to date. Since I use compressed Co2, the controller is set to use Fuzzy Logic to monitor and control the room. It learns as it works... very cool indeed.
133932.jpg

I will take another pic today when I get home and post it for you.

BigGreen

Veteran
Thanks mrB this helps. Im thinking of running these 600s bare bulbed in between 3 rows of plants. Im thinking of hooking up a 6" canfan for emergency intake to control heat if it gets out of control. I am also trying to figure out what fan to use for exhaust Im thinking a 10" canfan or vortex with a big ass filter. Im just not sure if this is going to cool the room efficently. Im not going to use co2 just yet until I can get a minisplit hooked up this spring. If I cant cool the room with the bare bulbs Im going cool tubes.

Big Green let me offer you some advice.. run cool tubes i have a 10x8 room with 3 vertical 600's running the length of the room. i have a 440cfm fan pulling through a scrubber and a 300 cfm fan pulling equaly through the 6's so i have a total of 700-800 cfm and my temps are right around 80 degrees. I have 14 plants surrounding the lights and im not very impressed. I to have to make a change and i think i have decided on a coliseum style im going to literaly build shelves around the perimeter of the room and hang 3 or maybe 4 6's in line from the front to the back of the room

M

Mr-B

If you live in Calif then most cities never get below 40 degrees which makes it tough to cool 3 bare bulbs.
Daytime temps are around 62 which makes it impossible for me.

GL

B

BigGreen

Veteran
Thanks everybody for the replys now may be I can get some where on this.
Greenthumb2 do you have any pics or a thread of what ya have going?
MrB wicked setup ya have there. Do you have a thread on this grow?
mjinbloom cool looking setup ya have what kind of yields do you expect?

BigGreen

Veteran
MrB oh shit I almost missed what your avatar was. So your a fellow bow hunter thats cool shit. Ive had a hell of a year I smacked a 140 inch class 10 point with a bow and popped a 170 inch 8 point with a rifle. I havent rifle hunted in 12 yrs. Ya give a bow hunter a rifle and I shot 4 deer opening weekend 2 8 pnts 2 does. Its been the best year of my life.
But back to pot talk Im lucky this time of year its 20f right now and dropping fast so I might just be alright. I guess it going to be a little testing out be for I get any plants in there.
The main thing that Im worried about is if its even worth going vert like this or is it going to just yield around the same as me throwing 4 600s in some xxxl magnum hoods? Thats what Im looking for the highest yielding way to use 4 600 watt lights from what I read its vertical.

M

Mr-B

Congrats on the season bro!
Nothing like a nice 10 point to set the season eh!

My brother and I are hunting addicts. We kill it and grill it!
Just got back from Saskachewan where I got two bears, one 540 lb boar and a 380 lb sow both we bow.
Got two turkeys last weekend (with bow) and about 30 ducks so far this season. Two deer last season (one rifle one bow) as well but both were white tails and my hunt was in Texas.

Would love to talk hunting sometime, my brother and I always love to meet new hunting partners as most of them tire out by mid season lol.

B

BigGreen

Veteran
Cool shit
I have what my wife calls the sickness. Ive been bow hunting so much I didnt even get to duck hunt. Oh well theres always late season goose.

Latest posts

Latest posts