What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planting my seed

IamNug

This thread is where I will document my attempt to grow medical grade cannabis (from 2 bag seeds for now). This thread will be mainly for me, but your feedback is very welcome. Later I will post pictures of anything noteworthy.

First thing will be: take the bag seeds and germinate them. May have thrown away my soil which would have been good. Will try... shit... not sure how to start. paper towel? Might try to germinate, then go straight to expanded clay. Have done that before.

Thanks for reading!

- Nug

IamNug

The seeds went down last night and got watered in with tap water. Ended up getting a small bag of soil and mixed that with a dash of perlite. Today is day 1 for germination. Used 1 gallon black plastic nursery containers, one for each seed. Also have the containers sitting on drip trays and a warming pad.

Next will be to hang one or two 42w compact florescent bulbs to begin the seedling stage. Probably will set the lights to 18/6 for veg. Will post you a picture once something pops up.
:)

Take care,
- Nug

IamNug

Instead of the 42w floros I went ahead and hung the 400w hps. Here is a picture of the initial setup... I'm hoping the hps adds a little warmth to the soil. And hopefully the seeds pop quickly. :)

picture.php

IamNug

day 4 germination, day 1 seedling 'A' (veg)

day 4 germination, day 1 seedling 'A' (veg)

Hello,

Here it is after one watering and 4 days, we have life. Cool huh? The 400w hps is on 18/6.

picture.php

I hooked up my recirculating dwc bucket system. Will post some more shots of it once filled with water and running.

picture.php

Keep your fingers crossed for seedling 'B' to pop soon! Will try to update growth progress weekly.

~ Nug

IamNug

Day 7 (Week 1) Veg.

Day 7 (Week 1) Veg.

hello exploziv gbb! Thanks for the good luck!

I can hardly believe a whole week has gone by already?

So here is my list of current updates...

The other seed didn't pop, it has been 11 days since planting and I kept the area moist by spraying with tap water occasionally if drying was noticed. I will continue to keep the soil moist on the seedling that hasn't sprouted until the sprouted seedling gets cloned just in case it has an off chance of surviving. My sister did dig it up to see if it was alive and it had a small tail but wasn't looking too great, I replanted it but it might have been a reject already, or she killed it.

I also planted a small random variety of garden vegetables, and flowers. Some of those have just began to pop and should make some interesting variety in the garden. The non- cannabis plants will just be dirt for now.

bag seedling 'A' the only current genetic viability. (watched the movie Outbreak last night, must be having an affect on my vocabulary, haha) anyway this one is doing ok, will attatch photo, has an interesting leaf pattern at the first internode like 3 fingered leaf viens forming on the single leaf blade. I had not seen that before. I watered the seedling initially 11 days ago and the soil is still moist in the lower part of the pot. I have not watered again. My concern will be to see if this size pot dries out soon enough to avoid any type of root rot condition. So far so good. I have a feeling the tap root is going down nice and deep and getting established which is why I chose to germinate in the 1 gallon size.

Oh ya I adjusted the white balance on my camera but it didn't do much good under the hps, sorry.

picture.php

I also filled and tested the rdwc, no problems there, cleaned it, drained it, dried it.

picture.php

:joint:

IamNug

Week 2 Veg

Week 2 Veg

Week 2 veg, still haven't watered the seedling other than to mist the top surface of the soil to keep it slightly moist. Have a mix of nutrient water ready for when it dries out, which should be any time now. Roots growing from bottom of 1 gal. container. It's finally coming along after that excruciating germination stage... O ya, I tried a dif white balance setting, color came out much better yes?
picture.php

Veggies; beans, lettuce, hot peppers, carrots, sunflowers...
picture.php

Wating for hydro:
picture.php

Lil bit o nutes:
picture.php

Super skunk nuglet i b smokin on... it's aight.
picture.php

take care,
:tree:

ibjamming

Veteran
That plant is thriving! It looks great for two weeks old. Mine were planted when yours were, but they're WAY behind...they're in a shed outside and it get's COLD at night. The lights on...it helps, but temps in the 30's is still cold for a baby...

BTW, I've got two Apollo 11s that looked like your leaf...a weird fold to it. What seeds do you have? Any idea? What was the high like? It looks like it's heavily indica to me.

Good luck...

IamNug

ibjamming, thanks for the good luck and kind words, best of luck to your seedlings! The temps in my grow fluctuate from about 62 at lights on, to about 69 at warmest, it will only get hotter from there after winter is gone... yikes. I played in the dirt yesterday to transplant the veggies into larger containers. The dirt had a very nice squishy moistness to it, just super soil with some perlite added, then wet down with tap water a bit. I can tell it's a good consistency for roots to grow in, that was fun. Then I went ahead and watered everything with some nutrient solution consisting of 1 liter of water and a few drops each of floranova grow, dark energy, supernova, and floralicious grow. The seedling got about a half liter of that solution.

As far as the genetics thanks for your thought on that subject, ibjamming. All I really know is the smoke was tight dense nugs, they werent very hairy but had average amounts of trichomes. It was somewhat of an earthy dense smooth kind of hashy smoke which is a characteristic I like. The herb was colored the way it tasted, almost reminded me of bubba kush but it was not that. And on a side note the stripper it came from showed me her ass when I picked up the bag... that's always nice.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Looking good so far, Nug. You have some very nice hardware. I expect you'll be getting some considerable yields. Good luck.

IamNug

DiscoBiscuit, thanks for checking in and the growluck! I can only pray to yield considerably.

chuckyoufarley, thanks for checking in and the growluck! One of my thoughts currently while waiting for this shit to grow is, 'what the F am I gonna do if my only plant is a male'... keeping my fingers crossed...

next update on the 7th, day 20 veg im gonna call that week 3 to make remembering updates easy.

Growluck to all! :D

IamNug

clones day 1

clones day 1

Here is an update:

About a few weeks ago it got really cold and I let the plant dry out a little so it started to shrivel up. Was a little disappointing, but I have been trying to pay more attention to it. The growth is improving. After all this time, only yesterday right before taking cuttings was I able to see a single tiny calyx with a hair poking out of it, only one on the entire plant, no other signs of gender yet and it has been vegging for what seems like forever on 18/6 lighting. Normally gender is shown once nodes start alternating. Anyways here are some pictures of whats going on.

pre-trim:
picture.php

picture.php

closeup:
picture.php

hot peppers:
picture.php

lettuce mix:
picture.php

beans:
picture.php

sunflower / carrots:
picture.php

picture.php

cloner:
picture.php

post-trim:
picture.php

clones:
picture.php

next update will probably be once the clones get roots. :watchplant:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
One big green thumb up!! Inspiring!

Dang.. I got some extra room under my light, I'm gonna find some other herbs like basil and cilantro and put them under the light..

+K for ya!

green_thumb...

Strain Whore Extraordinaire!
Veteran
Wow man!! Lookin good!! I had some veggies in the mix before cayanne peppers,carrots,baisil,tomatoes, now I just have lemon cucumbers lol and they're starting to flower too! Oh and the one calyx deal I had 4 seeds sex themselves in veg under 18/6 light but there was calyx with pistils on almost all innernodes it freaked me out and can't wait to take cuts and flower to see if its true. But yeah man keep up the good work,that bag seed looks strong and very lush.

IamNug

Sup GrowerGoneWild! Thanks for stoping by, and the kind karma. Yea aren't the plants interesting. I've been planning to add some herbs for sure. Basil, thyme, oregano, basically anything I come across is fair game, then I hope to actually get to use them them in the kitchen.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my update that a couple tomato plants popped up and are still hanging in there. Will get pics of that soon since they are forming flowers which eventually will be the tomatoes. I was stoked when I found those growing. There is also a wild flower growing out of the side of one of the mixed pots. Probably a pink one, not sure what it's name is.

Green Thumb, Thanks for checking in! Yep a multipurpose grow.

green_thumb..., thanks for checking in! ya this is the first time ive had to wait so long in veg to tell gender. But I'm gonna start flowering soon too, so will find out for sure then.

budsgreenhouse, thanks for checking in! more to come!

Well, the clones aren't looking too happy. I think it's too cold. But they aren't dead. Debating just riding it out or to add a heater or switch them to a different spot i have prepared which is 80 degrees. It's been ranging in the low 60's currently with 400w directly over head. Think I'm gonna just wait longer since they aren't dead yet. The 'mom' plant is pretty happy since I increased nutrient ppm.

picture.php

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Sup GrowerGoneWild! Thanks for stoping by, and the kind karma. Yea aren't the plants interesting. I've been planning to add some herbs for sure. Basil, thyme, oregano, basically anything I come across is fair game, then I hope to actually get to use them them in the kitchen.

I just like growing.. :) I've always been a farmer at heart. I give mad props to those that manage to squeeze in something different.

Hey, even potheads gotta eat too :biggrin: Might as well grow a few tasty herbs and veggies.

Grow on with your bad self.

IamNug

I just like growing.. I've always been a farmer at heart. I give mad props to those that manage to squeeze in something different.

Hey, even potheads gotta eat too Might as well grow a few tasty herbs and veggies.

Grow on with your bad self.

Thanks again. Yea you know one of my favorite things to do when I get stoned, is eat?! Hard to believe I know... ;) But yea this is my first time with extra space around my grow and not being crammed in a closet. I'm kinda going for the 'well-rounded' garden approach.

Update: I did go ahead and move the clones into a nook of my own creation, after posting last time. It started at 80 degrees when I tested it, then adding an air pump to the nook seems to have dropped the temperature to about 70 degrees, which is still better than 60 degrees for cloning. They will be fine hanging in this new chamber until roots and new growth occur at which time they will be transferred to 12/12 area. This is a pretty big investment of time not knowing what genetics I'm working with but hopefully will be rewarded nicely in the long run.

growluck to all!