What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What IS this...?

Ioni Botani

I have a Powerhouse (Deep Chunk X C 99) clone, that has stunted growth. Now the leaves are discoloring in two separate patterns. I am using GH Flora Micro and Bloom and the Lucas formula. There was almost a problem with slime, but this is the best its looked in a while. Treating with H202

....Help?!

Ioni Botani

Thanks for the quick reply, but all signs are currently pointing to "less is more" with the slime problem....anyone?? A non-additive solution perhaps? Im open to suggestions.

Ioni Botani

A bit more info....

pH is at 5.6
ppm is at 480
This plant seems small for a ppm of 480, but it is about a month old! Ppm has been at about 400 and I recently began raising it in hopes the plant would groooow! Im about to bite the bullet and go grab some 2.5 gal jugs of water so I can more closely monitor whats going into my water. Ive been using plain ph balanced tap water for about a week to cleanse the roots (chlorine), and recently added about 3 ml micro and 8 ml bloom:about 3 gal. Before this I was using a diluted tap water (to lower ppm to about 200) and 1/2 of the 0-8-16 Lucas formula, ppm 400. ALL treated with H202 for the roots. Just look at those poor damn roots. So sad. Im about to clone her and start anew...Milwaukee says iron, so I shall boost iron. Definitely about to nab some distilled from Pubelixxx....rambling...sorry. I was growing tons of mint with CNS 17 (practice!) and had no problems like this....why is this? Something is telling me the slime still has a hold on my plant...I want to add Physan20 BUT....I fucking hate chemicals. The bottle is clearly marked..."DO NOT USE ON CONSUMABLES." Decisions decisions.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Overfeeding, the low PH proves it. You can't 'make a plant grow' by fertilizing it, that's a broken idea. You respond to it's growth by fertilizing it. That means NO feeding until it grows.

Also, things like slime and algae can only grow if there's enough nutrients for them. That generally means more than the plant can use, so they're often a good indication that you're feeding too much.

Ioni Botani

No the pH is right where I put it...need it be higher? I am under the impression that 5.5-5.8 was IDEAL and 5.5-6.5 was acceptable...so Ive been maintaining as such. I raised the ppm in hopes that this would solve the problem. I had maintained a ppm of about 200-300 for quite some time and felt the plant had probably grown out of it, and needed more. Today I reconciled between these two responses. I replaced my water with distilled, 13 ml micro, 25 ml bloom to 4 gallons. It lowered the ppm from the previous water from 500 to 400 ppm. My previous water was a mixture of spring and tap, with about half of the total dissolved solids coming from the tap water, and the other half was nutrients. So Ive...
1.) Lowered the ppm

AND

2.) Added Iron, because I now know exactly WHAT total dissolved solids went IN to the distilled water. GH Micro has 0.100% Iron. The previous water had less micro in it proportionately to the "hard water micro"....so this could have been the problem. As for the other leaves burning...I
1.) Raised the light

AND

2.) Added a larger fan.....

PHEW!:yoinks:

So we wait. I will set course maintain heading...for a while....too much of this "change" shit is never good. :noway:

Ioni Botani

BTW I saw more fucking slime on my air stones when I changed out my water...91% Isopropyl and steaming hot water SHOULD do the trick. Moreeeee H202. Im resisting the use of harsh chemicals for personal reasons.

Does anyone else have suggestions/comments?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

Bless.
-I

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Geez, what a knucklehead I am! I didn't even look at those pictures of the roots, duh. I was thinking you're growing in soilmix. Nevermind, you're right about your PH.

I do use a water cloner. When I tried to get the stems out of the water to make it 'aero', I got slime. I wasn't able to get rid of it with H2O2. I had to break it down and use a '10 drop to the quart' solution of bleach and water. That did work, but I've since gone back to the stem immersion method in part because it keeps the slime at bay. Maybe alcohol and hot water will work, I can't tell you.