What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400 Watt DWC/ScrOG - Nirvana Blue Mystic

Crafty

Hi everyone! This is my first ever grow.

I am just about to start a 400 Watt DWC with a ScrOG.

The setup is in a PC Case. I will be running 4 23watt CFLs ~ 100watts each. 6500k for the veg cycle and 2700k (soft white) for the flower cycle. Each cycle is roughly 6400 lumens.

I am now just waiting for the seeds to arrive so I can start! Ordered Nirvana Blue Mystic.

I am going to Germinate in rockwool in netpods with hydroton.

For nutes, I will be using FloraMicro and FloraBloom.

Here are the pics of the setup I have. Click to expand.

The Case:

The Tub w/netpods and lonely rockwool. :)

Intake and Exhaust Fans:

The Air Pump:

The Airstone:

Nutes:

Ph Up and Down:

Ona Block (not too sure how well this works):

Well, that's it so far. Just waiting on the seeds now. They shipped last Tuesday from the Netherlands. If they clear the border, I think they should get here this week.

If anyone wants to give tips or follow along, Welcome! :joint:

I'll be updating by week or so depending on activity.

J R

Looks good, very nice set up. Have done DWC for 6 years. For the media in the net pots use hygromite, it is not a bug magnate ( even tho you may get some gnats this time of year), gnats do not like it, and the added silicon the hygromite provides add strength to the plants and they love it.
I use Super Natural nutes which are Ph buffered, and makes it easy. You still should have a PPM and Ph meter tho. Once I get used to this site, will post some pic's of the buds grown using S N nutes.
Luck to you on your grow. I will follow it>

Let me know if'n you get your seeds from Nirvana.

Crafty

Awesome. Thanks. I've never heard of hygromite. I'll look into it before I get started. I already have a Ph meter, but what is a PPM used for?

I'll let you know if/when I get my seeds. Hopefully Monday-Weds. would be my guess. Fingers crossed!

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Nice setup! :yes:

FYI, :chin: CFL growers typically don't use the "incandescent equivalent" rating of a bulb. So ideally we would say this is a 92w (4 x 23w) setup.

J R

PPM=Parts Per Million The meter measures the Electrical Conductivity of your nutes, or dissolved salts in the feeding solution. You will need this info to know what strength you are feeding your plants. This is vital info along with the Ph of the solution.
Next time you go to the grow store look at them. Try to get a GOOD combo meter.

Asil

Nice little setup Crafty. Have you ran it for a day or to to see where your temps are and what the Res temp will be with the lights on? You may want to do that before you get your grow going.

Crafty

Nice little setup Crafty. Have you ran it for a day or to to see where your temps are and what the Res temp will be with the lights on? You may want to do that before you get your grow going.

Yea, I ran it with lights on for two days and the temps ranged from 78 at night to 85 during the day. If I remember correctly, that's an ok range right?
The only thing, I'm going to add a carbon scrubber and that may affect air flow/temps, but that can be played with.

Thanks for stopping by!

Crafty

Still waiting on the seeds. They were shipped last Tuesday, so it's been one week. Hopefully they get here this week.

Also, not too sure I want to build a carbon scrubber yet because I would need to build two for my two exhaust fans. Still trying to decide if that's what I want to do or not. Are there any other options that work almost as well as carbon scrubbers?

Will two plants really smell that much?

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Hey Crafty, nice looking case, you got the right nutes too!!

What strain of seeds did you order? This will have an affect on if a scrubber is needed.

The best tip I can give you at this point is to forget about PPM EC and the meter that goes with it. Knowing PPM EC is critical with large sumps because it's expensive and labor intensive to switch out 55 gal just because you don't know the PPM...

In micro hydro, it's better to perform a weekly res change because it's only 1-2 gallons. This way you don't need to calculate or measure how much your ladies are feeding. Use R/O or distilled water and PH it at 5.4 to begin with, about a week later, PH should be around 6.0 with no adjustment. Then water change PH 5.4 again, this is a near perfect PH swing and peak nute uptake. Your res is a little smaller so you might need to lower PH 1-2 times a week but try to let it drift slowly to 6.0.... Finally, when you get to mid flower, your ladies are going to be drinking like mad so be prepared to add PH'ed water daily to maintain the swing.

Crafty

Hey Crafty, nice looking case, you got the right nutes too!!

What strain of seeds did you order? This will have an affect on if a scrubber is needed.

The best tip I can give you at this point is to forget about PPM EC and the meter that goes with it. Knowing PPM EC is critical with large sumps because it's expensive and labor intensive to switch out 55 gal just because you don't know the PPM...

In micro hydro, it's better to perform a weekly res change because it's only 1-2 gallons. This way you don't need to calculate or measure how much your ladies are feeding. Use R/O or distilled water and PH it at 5.4 to begin with, about a week later, PH should be around 6.0 with no adjustment. Then water change PH 5.4 again, this is a near perfect PH swing and peak nute uptake. Your res is a little smaller so you might need to lower PH 1-2 times a week but try to let it drift slowly to 6.0.... Finally, when you get to mid flower, your ladies are going to be drinking like mad so be prepared to add PH'ed water daily to maintain the swing.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I was curious about the PH on a small tub like mine. I have a digital PH meter coming because I figured it might be difficult to measure the PH with nutes in the water already.

For the nutes, I was going to mix 1/4 of each per gallon of distilled water and I think i saw somewhere someone said to add a tbsp of hydrogon peroxide as well.

I have some Nirvana Blue Mystic seeds coming.

Instead of a bulky scrubber (2), since I have 2 exhaust fans, I was possibly thinking of just taping an activated carbon filter on the back of the exhaust if I need to.

Crafty

I'm still waiting for the dang seeds. I think thy should be here in the next few days (fingers crossed they didn't get snagged at the border).

Hella THC

Ahhhh, I'll send a little prayer up to the seed gods and ask them to arrive safely! ;)

Looking forward to it, none the less.

Best,

- Hella