What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dimebaggs build and grow: Perpetual cab

Dimebagg

Hey guys and gals, thought I'd share my up and coming grow with everyone. Ive recently been hit by the economic hard times, and cant seem to fit my good friend Herb into my budget. I have a few more things to pick up, and thing should be ready to start by the time I move into my new home at the end of summer. Heres some details:

Flower chamber:
18x18x24"
currently 10x24w CFLs (econolight 150w HPS coming soon)
S&P inline fan (coming soon)
4x 1 gallon tupperware tubs, painted black w/ viewable water level

Mother/clone chamber:
Slightly smaller in height (will edit posts later with final info)
will be moving CFLs into here

I also have a drying chamber set above the mother/clone area.

Heres a flower chamber shot:

picture.php

When I get my light and fan, I need to figure out the best way to vent and carbon scrub this thing. I may try to utilize the shelf above the chamber, I only planned on using it to store smaller items I need around the garden.

Heres my DWC pots. Maybe they'd be considered SWC though. Im going to test these guys out a few different ways. First run will be 2 clones per pot, and will be flowering as soon as they are rooted. They are simply 1 gallon tupperware containers. I put a piece of tape down the side and painted about 7 coats of Krylon Fusion plastic paint. Now I can see my water levels and still keep light out. I dont think the amount of light that will show through the lines will be enough to hurt anything. If it poses a problem later on, I'll just paint over it.

picture.php

and finally, heres my current light set up. 10x24w CFLs. The mother/clone chamber and the flower chamber are the same size width/length, so when the HPS comes, I will just move this "cieling" shelf to the other cab.

picture.php

Got a package of Nothern Lights to start here out with. Im looking for another strain that would do good in a perpetual SOG style micro set up. I know its not a real SOG, but its a close concept. Any input on some good strains, or ANY input for that matter would be awesome. I'll be updating this thread as things progress.

Thanks for stopping by :joint:

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those bulbs will generate more heat than you think in that box. I'd over vent if I were you. Try a plexi shield as well. I really think your cab looks good. Can't wait to see the results.

Dimebagg

Yea, I've experienced how hot the cab get with those lights, hah. I probably wont run all of them all the time once that light shelf gets moved to the mother/clone room. Thanks for the compliment, I cant wait to get this thing dialed in and running

Dimebagg

Heres a little progress on the cab. Decided to paint the buckets white to help keep the water temps down. I plan on running 2 air pumps to increase efficiency, and if anything were to go wrong with one of them, I can temporarily hook all 4 buckets to a working pump. Ive been testing out a few different pumps from around town, and want to do side by sides to see which pump most efficiently. If anyone can point me in a good direction for air pumps, please let me know :1help:

Heres my airstone set up. Anyone out there on ICMag use these type of stone? Would I be better off using the 4" rectanglular stones?

picture.php

Heres how Im running the air lines. Each has its own control valve to help ease up a few processes. Its really a "just in case" accessory.

picture.php

And heres my water level viewer at work :yes: GO MAGIC!!

picture.php

Dimebagg

Heres a side by side comparison. On the left is a Whisper 10-30g pump. The right is an Aqua Culture 5-15g pump. Both can be found at department stores. The Whisper is definitely the winner as far as air output, but both are fairly equal in the sound department, they just hum at different tones. Im going to try the larger version of the Aqua culture pump, as its still cheaper than the smallest version of the Whisper.

picture.php

What brand/size pumps are you guys using, and for what size resevior(s)?

irie4i

Dimebag, you should run a little test fire. Put the buckets, with just water and a net pot full of hydroton, into the chamber and move the CFL's down to 6 inches(pretty much maximum optimal height). Now turn them on for 19 hours and try to keep the water between 64-70*. I think you're in for a real supprise.

Dimebagg

Dimebag, you should run a little test fire. Put the buckets, with just water and a net pot full of hydroton, into the chamber and move the CFL's down to 6 inches(pretty much maximum optimal height). Now turn them on for 19 hours and try to keep the water between 64-70*. I think you're in for a real supprise.

As stated, 150w HPS is replacing the CFLs.

irie4i

and finally, heres my current light set up. 10x24w CFLs. The mother/clone chamber and the flower chamber are the same size width/length, so when the HPS comes, I will just move this "cieling" shelf to the other cab.

I guess your mom is soil? I still think you're underestimating the ammount of heat they will generate; just my 2cents, you have a pretty good looking space otherwise

Dimebagg

I guess your mom is soil? I still think you're underestimating the ammount of heat they will generate; just my 2cents, you have a pretty good looking space otherwise

Yep, mom will be in soil. My previous grows were in 1 gallon pots with soil and this same light set up. It was a bit hot, usually around 90*. But the HPS should be significantly cooler. Time will tell. If nothing else, this hydro set up has only cost around $40. I'm definitely going to do some test runs before I put the plants in, so if I cant get temps where I want them, I'll just return the pumps and settle on a $10 loss :joint:

Dimebagg

One last pic while Im finishing up todays work. Heres how the pots will set. Im waiting to get my lamp and exhaust fan, and will then decide if I want to mount my light horizontally or vertically.

picture.php

Mk3Jetta

GL with your grow man!

Cant wait to see the HPS popped in there. How much growing height does your cab allow? b/c I have a 30" tall can and about the same dimensions and am wondering if a 150wHPS would be to strong for it.?

Dimebagg

hey mk3, thanks for watching. I have about 17" of vertical growspace with the containers in there. I will also be adding tie down points to the lids of each bucket, just in case I need to train plants down some.

really, really interested in how this turns out. definitely looks clean, hopefully you'll get some good results. what does the cab look like from the outside?

Dimebagg

Another update with some tests and comparisons. This is probably pointless to most, but I figure if Im doing the tests, I might as well let people in on what Im finding out.

Went and got the Aqua Culture 20-60g pump with dual outlets. Its slightly louder than the Whisper 10-30g, but still quiet enough for me. This is one of those things that just dont show up in pictures as well as real life, but the AC pump puts out way more bubble, and for $5 less, I found the keeper.

Whisper 10-30 on left, AC 20-60 on right.

picture.php

And I also tried a 4" airstone vs the smaller cylinders. I like the smaller ones way better. Overall better dispersion.

picture.php

Dimebagg

Been a while since anythings got done here. But I have the remaining supplies on the way, and things should be running in a matter of weeks. I have since decided to remove the top shelf of the flower chamber to add a few inches of grow room, so the total height is now 30". I have also decided to paint the box instead of using mylar. Heres a single pic, more to come VERY soon.

picture.php

Dimebagg

Wow, the S&P TD-100s are WAY larger than I had imagined. I may try to use it to cool both chambers. That would be a 150w HPS, and 2 42w CFLs. I'll have to wait til the HPS comes in to figure it out.

Shred42O

nice set up man
but my experience with northern lights has been really good in dwc but it likes to stretch alot and you dont have much vertical space so beware

best of luck