What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pirates "Targeted Pollination" Method

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
NOTE:This is an upgraded version from my journal. I received a good response over there so thought I would post the info here as well since I searched but could not find a consolidated seed making "how to". One might be here........but I couldn't find it.

OK. I made some seeds. I'm no pro.......don't claim to be........don't wanna be. I'm just some "Joe Blow" that enjoys growing weed. Makin my own seeds adds a little mystery to the process because its like a box of chocolates........Ya never know what your gonna get.

I still buy from and support all of our favorite breeders and seed banks. My pollen list will confirm this. I encourage you to do the same. These guys are the pros and the ones that help keep the pure lines going for all of us. Making your own seed just adds a whole new dimension to your growing experience. So enjoy making seeds, but support the true breeders !!

Here's my method of TARGETED POLLINATION (not the whole plant)

By the way:
When I say "Here's My Method"......It means that I have learned many things from many sources and have combined methods or taken ideas and expanded upon them, etc. If I invent something special.......I'll claim it. Some of these ideas and tricks are mine, some are hijacked and I have no clue from where cause I read a lot. For now.........A BIG THANK YOU goes out to all growers around the globe for their advice when I needed it as a new grower as well as ideas and methods shared through, posts, books, web sites, journals, videos, etc. I'm a sponge and I seek "INPUT". (a quote from the movie short circuit) We are all here to learn and that's exactly what I am always trying to do. (isn't the web great?) If I'm not posting in my journal or working out in my room..............I'm over in your journal or thread learning from you so I can fine tune your methods, combine it with another idea I have or concept I got from somewhere else and make it work for me !!

Now lets get to it.

First I collect my pollen. When I start a grow from seed I like to grab a male or two (when they rear their ugly head) and collect the pollen for any wild hair I get up my Pirate Ass. Now, if you have not seen my pollen collection method..........you can see it here: POST #71 http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=109231&page=5

Once I have my pollen, I store it in a water tight / air tight container and stash it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I recently use 1 year old pollen and got seeds from it.

I get ready to go in a location far from the Bloom Room. I have a Dr-120 tent in my garage I use for drying my harvests, breeding and sometimes.........an overflow grow room.

Below is the pollen from:
  • Satori
  • Hashberry
  • Northern Lights
  • Pot Of Gold
I just got some AK47 pollen last week and there is a Chronic "cumming" in the cabinet right now. I'll be playing with that pollen later. I'm definitely gonna make me some AK47 F2s and cross that Chronic with something. I just don't know what yet.

Pirates Sperm Bank Its always changing.
picture.php

When the plants are in the 2 week stage or bud sites are starting to develop (with pistils) I grab the strains from my Bloom Room I wish to pollinate and place them in my tent away from the ones NOT TO BE POLLINATED. I shut off all fans and ventilation.

Begging to be pollinated:.We'll come back to his photo later:
picture.php

I use a Q-tip (or small paint brush) to dip into the jar of pollen and carefully rub pollen onto the bud site I want to breed with being careful to only pollinate that bud.Don't even breath on it. I will not pollinate with a different pollen strain UNDER the bud I just pollinated to make sure I don't cross pollen. ( although.........that just gave me an ideer)

See the Pollen?

picture.php

When pollen is stored you do not want leaf matter or anything foreign in the jar. CLEAN ONLY. This pollen is fresh so I wasn't worried about the NUT SACKS it contained.

picture.php

Once I've pollinated a bud site I tag it with a piece of plant label and trash bag wire tie. I will now know that every bud site ABOVE the tag.......ON THAT BRANCH ONLY has been pollinated. The tag has the breeding info.

Example tag label: HB x POG tells me that the resulting seeds came from a Hashberry mother x a Pot of Gold father. OR HBxHB = Hashberry mother and Hashberry father.

Create a system that works for you. Just keep it strait or you will have no ideer what strain you have or its lineage when growing it out later.

Here are the plants with tags AFTER I pollinated all the sites I wanted seeds from.
picture.php

A Little Closer
picture.php

Now I let the plants stay in this tent for 2 days. After 2 days I will spray the whole plants and surrounding areas with water just to makes sure we have no active pollen lounging around. I move the plants back into the main flower room and wait for harvest day. I have noticed seeds growing within 1 week or so of pollination. A couple to a few weeks later.........they'll be obvious.

Once harvest day comes, carefully remove EACH branch one at a time that contains your seeds and place them in a good safe drying location. Be careful that you do not knock seeds loose and then NOT KNOW what bud it came from........... Assuming your CROSSING breeds and not just making strait F2s. If your not crossing then even labeling is pointless.

Here we are after drying is complete: I use a pan to break up each bud ONE AT A TIME keeping track of the new breeds. R we havin fun yet? I am !! I only pollinate what will become the lower popcorn buds of my plants so the rest is quality usable bud. No waste.

picture.php

I do not manicure the seeded buds when harvested. Just clip it off the plant and dry it.

picture.php

Now just break up the buds and collect your seeds. Once I collect my seeds I will place them in a PAPER envelope for a week or so to let them dry a bit. But not to much. Some moisture will help the seed to germinate later. I have dried my seeds for 2 months before and they were all fine. After you break up the buds and separate the seeds..........Roll it up...... spark the doobie.......Sit back........ and admire your work !!

Here my seeds are packaged up and ready for germination. (which I will do soon......... cause I'm dyin to see what I've created)

picture.php

Closer up

picture.php

Well that's it Maties !! We just made some seeds. Not only that. We made some entirely new strains. Now all we need to do is grow em out, smoke em, get some feedback from friends and name em. I tend to name along the same lines as the parental genetics which helps me keep it strait. Example: my Hashberry x OG Kush is called.........Berry OG. (how original....huh?)

Oh Yeah, One more thing. When growing out your new seeds don't forget to clone the plant before flowering so ya have a mother of your best creation.

My newest batch resulted in the following crosses: The first breed named is the mother and the second named is the father. (mother x father) Yes it matters !!
  • Satori x Pot of Gold (POG = skunk x kush... same as Golden Skush)
    [*]Purple Kush x Satori
    [*]Master Kush x Satori
    [*]Master Kush x Pot of Gold
    [*]Purple Kush x Pot of Gold
    [*]Hashberry x Pot of Gold
    [*]Berry OG x Pot of Gold
Northern lights pollen turned out to be no good. No seeds. (I stored it wrong)

You can make as many as you want. I only made 20 to 30 of each. In general, one small branch or a popcorn bud gives me about 20 seeds. Do 5 - 1 bong hit size buds, and you'll get around 100 seeds. If you want a shit load..........pollinate the whole plant or just do more bud sites. I'm just playing and experimenting with it really. Why? .........cause I can and its fun!!

Now keep your eyes lookin out for a Pirate growing his home made seeds. Cause he will document it here. From pollen to seeds, seeds to plants, plants to buds and from buds to hash or BHO. Hows that for a grow show?

Tell em you saw it here......AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Now............I'm gonna leave ya with my best keeper cross so far. I was growing OG Kush which is great smoke but the yield wasn't very good. My Hashberrys were huge but not as potent as the OGK. My thought was...... What if I could get the smell and high of the OGK combined with the size of the Hashberry? I crossed an HB father with an OGK mother. Grew out 10 seeds and found one keeper. I was lucky enough to get one that is BIG in yield, smelly, sticky, potent and a local friends favorite. Here she is.

BERRY OG The main Cola alone weighed in at 12 grams dry. Not including the lower, fat nugs. Doesn't sound like much but I grow in a SOG, lollipopped fashion. A stick with a bud on top and no side branching. This plant was 24 inches tall.
picture.php

A different grow at About 5 weeks
picture.php

Dried and Cured Berry OG Nug
picture.php

Now go make some seeds !!

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome thread pirate im just about to do some crosses of my own and this info has helped me very much cant wait to make my crosses especialy looking forward to my CHEM/STAR rez's chemdd cross a male sensistar have a look at my sig there the strains ive got to work with and a big THANKS for showing us your method respect...benji

M

manwithnoname

this is a great thread! i'm definately gonna start some mad scientist experimenting :joint:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice tutorial with pics you've put together!

I've been using this method since I started growing a couple years ago. It's an easy way to make seeds without affecting your whole plant.

I usually wait until about week 4 to pollinate the lower branches/buds so they have more pistils.

I use simple twist ties if I am just doing a single cross. If I am doing multiple strains, then I use twist ties that have an attached label, like that type you get when buying bulk grains/flour/etc, so I can write the cross and date on it.

I also save ALL seeds that I find on the plant, but I keep them in separate bags.

The seeds in the buds on the twist tie marked branches go into the bag with the actual cross listed on it, ie The White x SD IBL.

Any other seeds found on that plant go into a separate bag labeled like; The White x ?.

B

bagseed77

good read, just pollinated some branches yeterday, more people should , its easy to be a chucker and fun, peace

JazzJazz

Great thread and macro pics Pirate. This method i use myself and it works amazingly well. My only problem is that it's so easy, fun and interesting, that you make so many different crosses that it's hard to try them all. Nice problem to have for sure and your friends could benefit if you share your crosses. Nice work dude!

buttyrekka

:wave:pirate.:kewlpics::respect:mate!great plants!
great thread,the advice on your thread should be a real help to others.
nice one mate,good luck when you grow your babies out!

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
This is awesome. Thanks for all the tips and for sharing what you've learned.

It's amazing all the simple mistakes you can avoid when you can watch someone else do it first.

Glad to see you making seeds. I'm looking forward to doing the same soon.

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any tips on doing it on outdoor plants or would i just use the same method i was thinking collect the pollen in a plastic bag big enough to fit over one of the branches and just put it over the target branch seal it off at the bottem and leave it over night to pollinate the branche do u think it would work this way seing as its windy were im at....?

Pirate

Veteran
Any tips on doing it on outdoor plants or would i just use the same method i was thinking collect the pollen in a plastic bag big enough to fit over one of the branches and just put it over the target branch seal it off at the bottom and leave it over night to pollinate the branch do u think it would work this way seeing as its windy were I'm at....?
That's exactly what I would do.
The one thing to keep in mind is....... If your male is outside then chances are your gonna get all your females pollinated.

Lets say you have all your plants outside and you don't know what the sexes are yet. As soon as a male shows.....or even better just as the nuts fatten up a bit, but before they open.....Cut off a few branches and stick em in a cup of water INDOORS.........Kill the Mother Males. The cut branches will continue to open under a CFL or whatever light ya got going.... They don't need to be rooted. Collect the pollen and do your baggie trick.

Yup. That would work.

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome cheers PIRATE 2nite im going to cross my chemdd with my killa sensistar male also got a critical mass male a northern lights male and a sam's ot haze/skunk male and heres my list of females ill be crossing all my males with the target pollination method
chemdd
whitewidow
jackherer
ghs cheese
superskunk
blueberry
northern lights
skunk#1
the bag with sensistar pollen is going on 2nite ill post some pics...

Pirate

Veteran
Hey thanks for the compliments !!

I made another batch of seeds the other day. I am pretty excited about this batch since its using some good genetics. I really expect to get some good smoke out of it. Maybe a really good keeper too.

Here is the list: (the first Strain noted is the female in every case below) All male pollen came from Serious Seeds AK47 & Chronic plants.

White Widow x AK47
White Widow x Chronic
Mandala #1 x AK47
Satori x AK47
Berry OG x AK47
(My own initial cross of OG Kush x Hashberry)
Northern Lights x White Widow x AK47 (NL x WW was a freebie pack from Dr. Chronic)
LA Confidential x NYC Diesel x AK47 (LA Confidential x NYC Deisel was another freebie.........I believe it came from seedbay. Not sure)
LA Confidential x NYC Diesel x Chronic

I thinking there's gonna be something good in my little grab bag of seeds. :joint:

Its only been 5 days........but can I see the seeds developing. I'll post the results when I harvest.

Later...........:Bolt:

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some awesome crosses there pirate hey i did my baggie trick but when i pulled the bag of the branch it had moisture in it hopefully it didnt kill the pollen top part of my bud went mouldy aswell but i can see some seeds devolping also hit my chemdd with some critical mass pollen...

Pirate

Veteran
Thanks man.
You know.........you only need to keep the bag on for a few hours or maybe overnight. Then pull it off carfeully and spray the bud and surrounding areas with plain water to kill any pollen left over. The pollination will take place within hours.

This last batch I made.........I didn't even remove the plants from the room or cover the buds in any way. I shut off all fans during the dark period - Did my Q-tip dipping thing........applied that to the buds I wanted pollinated - let that sit for 4 hours........Sprayed with water and BAM...........I have seeds developing. No baggie or nothin. No sign of Rogue pollen either.

Next time I am gonna do a whole freaking plant. Ak47/F2s. Two plants (male/female) side by side in another room and get hundreds of seeds. I'll be set for life with AK47 for sure. AAAARRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!

BENJI

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hehe ive had bad experiences with ak47 years back probly in 99-2000 but i put it down to the guy i got the clones off never realy had a chance to try some proper grown ak-47 from a seed batch hows the smell and taste might hafto order some this week...
Yeah i left the bag on for 2 long might give it another go 2nite cause i can only see a couple of seeds devolping thinking bout hitting the whole plant with the ss pollen!

Pirate

Veteran
After growing out 20 strains I can say.........For me anyway.........AK47 has been one of the most stable, good looking, potent & yielding plants I've seen. There is a reason this thing has won so many awards. It deserves it. I've grown this out 2 times. The first one I took down after it was auto flowering on me (so I thought at the time). That was my first grow and I didn't know that it was just root bound. Anyway, She was really nice then and this new one is even better.

Short in veg, bushy, smelly, potent and fat ass buds in flower. Clones easily.

Give the real deal AK47 a run...........You will not regret it.

420oclock

Great technique, Pirate! I just made some beans, though I am not as ambitous as you are. I had some KC Brains Brains Damage clones and I germed some Thai x Chronic but only wound up with a male. So, I made some beans. Harvested the plant last night, and this seed was removed for a pic.

Attachments

• bd seed  harvest.jpg
    bd seed harvest.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Seed!!!!!.jpg
    Seed!!!!!.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Latest posts