What's new

DP Blueberry as opposed to DJ's

Now please I dont want to have an all out bagging of DP here... just the opinions of those who have grown one or both breeders BB line. What the differences were etc, what you ended up with in terms of vigour, taste etc and most of all, is DP's any good cos its the only one I have! thanks... :joint:

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a coincidence this thread pops up as i just happened 2 aquire myself an oz and half of blueberry not sure what breeder its from but its definatly some of the best weed i have smoked in a very long time its the first time ive smoked it and i would now rate it in my top 5 strains...
I would love to hear peoples thoughts on dj shorts and dutch passion versions because i asked the person i got it from if i could get a cutting and he said every time he has tried to take a cutting they have died, i was thinking WTF!! as if a plant cant be cloned ive had 100% success cloning every strain ive tried never had clones die on me so now im hunting for this blueberry im smoking as i type this post.....

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
clearly DJ Short is well respected on this board and im sure there are good reasons for it.

as i understand it, DJ worked for/with DP back in the day and he sold his Blueberry and Flo through them before leaving and working on the strain himself and selling it in the US/Canada

so both versions started from the same place - apparently (i have researched this heavily) Dj's version has more pheno variation.

I grew a DP Blueberry last year and have kept a mum which i am very happy with - very strong grower, lots of stretch, high yield and i have had no problem with hermies. so it is possible to get a good result from DP! - i only bought 1 fem seed so i may have got lucky.

the fact that it is partly thai sativa may well be the reason why it has many reported hermie problems but i suspect that DP get blamed for the herimies whearas if it's dj's version people may be a little more forgiving (jmo)

the high from my DP version is calm euphoria, very functional and clear - but it's not the strongest weed ever. The smell is ridiculously strong - even in glass jars i can smell it when i walk into the room, and it just gets stronger!

B

been

From everything I've read (heh)... the DP BB is more sativa-dom.... more like DJ's TB than his current BB "stretch-indica" phenos.

scaramanga

clearly DJ Short is well respected on this board and im sure there are good reasons for it.

as i understand it, DJ worked for/with DP back in the day and he sold his Blueberry and Flo through them before leaving and working on the strain himself and selling it in the US/Canada

so both versions started from the same place - apparently (i have researched this heavily) Dj's version has more pheno variation.

I grew a DP Blueberry last year and have kept a mum which i am very happy with - very strong grower, lots of stretch, high yield and i have had no problem with hermies. so it is possible to get a good result from DP! - i only bought 1 fem seed so i may have got lucky.

the fact that it is partly thai sativa may well be the reason why it has many reported hermie problems but i suspect that DP get blamed for the herimies whearas if it's dj's version people may be a little more forgiving (jmo)

the high from my DP version is calm euphoria, very functional and clear - but it's not the strongest weed ever. The smell is ridiculously strong - even in glass jars i can smell it when i walk into the room, and it just gets stronger!

High VG, just a couple of things to add.

Dj wholesaled his genetics to DP as they were his European rep, I don't believe that he actually worked for DP. His genetics were available through several commercial sources several years before DP ever sold Dj's seeds; Sgarmatha, Marc Emery, and a couple of others. The genetics for Blueberry and Flo (and Blue Velvet) were well established before DP ever got involved with Dj.

I highly recommend Dj Shorts book, makes for some very interesting reading.

Not bashing VG, just try to pass on some info.

Dreamscape

I always thought the Dutch passion BB only saw more hermies with the Feminized seeds because of the stressing process needed to force the seeds into females...

dreaded

DP fem BB clone.
No hermies here. Picked her out of a 5 pack. 1 plant did hermie. Sorry no flower picks. All plants were nice. even the hermie. i plucked her balls off & flowered her also.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran

DP fem BB clone.
No hermies here. Picked her out of a 5 pack. 1 plant did hermie. Sorry no flower picks. All plants were nice. even the hermie. i plucked her balls off & flowered her also.

:yeahthats very similar to mine in stem structre but mine is more sativa dom with just abit thinner leaves or u could say yours is more indica dom looking nice and healthy!!!

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Here's DJ's side of the story:

I worked with in Europe. At this company about 50 seeds of each variety were sprouted, but I was once again mainly left out of the selection process except for sampling a number of finished products and making selections based on those (which is enough, actually). I never got to see any of the live plants from this selection process at company number two in Europe. I also contributed seed-stock for three more varieties there;
Blue Moonshine, Blue Heaven and Purple Passion.
The owner of this company was satisfied with paying me the minimum amount I would consider adequate.
Fortunately, part of the deal was my ability to remain Independent and work with whomever else I pleased.

FYI the Dutch Passion Blueberry stock (50 seeds) was the identical stock used for the True Blue (>200 seeds). I did not do any selection on the Dutch project except for finished product analysis, but I assume that they did not select any individuals with leaf anomalies. I hope that helps clear up some of the questions regarding differences between these varieties and their overall selection.

More Information Regarding the Early Releases of the Blue Family:

Now that there are enough interested parties, it is time to tell a little information regarding the early releases of the Blue line.

Back in the early 90’s it became apparent that designer cannabis lines were rapidly gaining popularity. Seed companies and seed distributors were beginning to crop up on a regular basis. There were no decent land-race seeds to be had commercially anywhere. All of the commercially available seed since the early 1980’s were hybrids produced either in Europe or domestically (North America). Much of the European breed stock supposedly came from North America, West Coast in particular. None of the European offerings interested me at all as I found them to be quite inferior to my personal varietals that I was accustomed to working with. As a matter of fact, all of the hybrids other than my own that I tried always reminded me of varietals that I would cull from my work.

In 1993 I met the first group I would work with in Europe. At that time I was in a bit of a quandary as how to best proceed. Not certain what the market demanded, I needed to find out.

An open pollination was done with the first seeds offered, circa 1995 through approx. 1997-’98. The ‘open pollination’ was from the exact same seed stock that the later domestic selections would come (the ‘stabilized’ BB and flo, BM, BV, BH, etc.). Simply, several female mothers were used and three separate male pollen sources for those first releases, all of which were closely related, but slightly structurally different. These were the same seeds offered by HempBC (same time frame; circa 1996-’98, approx.). [Side note: the first company that I chose to work with in Europe stole over 3500 of those early produced seeds.]

A seed collection had been sent to Europe at the same time which became the stock that the companies there used to create their versions of Blueberry, Flo, Blue Velvet and later Blue Moonshine, Blue Heaven, Purple Passion, etc.

People seemed happy with the variety, many finding some very unique individuals. It was after reading the responses of many that I decided upon stabilizing toward the ‘stretch indica’ phenotype with the sweeter fruity palate (coupled with the fact that the European selections were leaning toward the more sativa side and a more astringent palate—as would the later Canadian versions). One male and one female were selected in 1997 and the same couple have been the sole producers of the domestic BB since (also the same male used for the flo, CK and VL—the flo mother was selected in, and has been alive since, 1991). [Side note: the Canadian selections were from the exact same stock as the Euro selections—TB, F-13, GK, OTM, Flodica, etc—simply from a much larger selection group than the European.]

hempluvr

plant pimp
Veteran
I have DP Blueberry 2 weeks old. They are regular seeds not fem. Should I expect a visit from herman on my females(if i get any)? Thanks in advance for your help!

Both of these grows were from seeds pulled from a bags of different types of commercially grown outdoor "blueberry" which were decent at best. Probably from BC. First batch soil, second hydro.

Any guess as to the true genetics off these? The Hydro grow was much more sativa dominent and skunkier, while the soil was indica dominent and fruiter, but both definently had strong hints of blueberry.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

soil
picture.php

dry soil
picture.php

hydro
picture.php

dry hydro

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High VG, just a couple of things to add.

Dj wholesaled his genetics to DP as they were his European rep, I don't believe that he actually worked for DP. His genetics were available through several commercial sources several years before DP ever sold Dj's seeds; Sgarmatha, Marc Emery, and a couple of others. The genetics for Blueberry and Flo (and Blue Velvet) were well established before DP ever got involved with Dj.

I highly recommend Dj Shorts book, makes for some very interesting reading.

Not bashing VG, just try to pass on some info.

thanks scaramanga, interesting. I read everything i can find that is written by DJ - i would like to try growing blueberry under MH as he says the aromas come out better that way (or i may switch to mh for the last few weeks of flowering.

here is an informative post that i archived on BB - sorry i cant credit who wrote it - but it wasnt me!

(source unknown)I've grown DP's Blueberry and I'm currently growing DJ Short's own release. I see very little difference between the two, except perhaps a greater phenotype variety in DJ's line.
There are different types of Blueberry criticism. Those who have grown both DP and DJS sometimes say that there are greater chances of finding a good keeper in DJ's line (Which might make sense if there's a greater phenotype variety). These are the Blueberry fans. They love the strain and the high, which compensate for its few shortcomings.

Then you have the growers that have heard a lot of praise, and get the Blueberry without knowing too much about it. They risk getting disappointed, because it's easy to fail a Blueberry grow. You have set the nute levels low, or the plants will curl up and skimp out on yield, and even if grown to perfection, it risks to deceive in yield. It is also not the most potent strain out there. It is potent enough, but not on the same level as C-99, Super Silver Haze or Sour Diesel. Moreover, the strain is called Blueberry, so lots of growers think that they'll get a blueberry tasting strain, only they end up with something smelling fruity/berry/earthy. I've heard that some phenos actually do produce a blueberry or blueberry muffin smell (such as the Dabney, if it is a Blueberry), only I didn't come across it in three packs of Blueberry (on the other hand, I've had phenos smelling rotten meat/berry). Last but not least, growth and leaf mutations are common in DJ's lines. Many growers think that this is 'bad' for some reason, and cull these phenos straight away, while in fact many of them turn out to be the keepers.

So, here are five reasons to be disappointed in Blueberry:
Ease-of-grow
Yield
Potency
Smell
Mutants

Now, if you're not sold on the Blueberry high, I can see why some growers rant. In a commercial garden, for instance, Blueberry simply doesn't cut the cake. It's too finicky.
The thing is, if you get the cheaper DP version (which is DJ Short's Blueberry just as much as his own line), you might think its shortcomings are because of DP, and decide to thrash the seedbank rather than the strain.
But people who gets it from DJ Short generally knows about him and his work, and know what they're getting into. They have a great respect for the breeder, and will think twice before they flame his best strain in a thread.

I have no other explanation for why there are so many DP Blueberry haters out there.

As to DP, you can't say that all of DP's strains sucks or rocks, because it is more of a seedbank or a breeder's collective than a breeder. Some of their genetics come from DJ Short, the rest is a mix of different genetics coming from various sources, all sold under the DP flag. You can make an overall statement on Serious Seeds, because Simon (the owner) bred all his strains (as far as I know). Same thing with Spice Of Life, but not DP. As far as I'm concerned, DP has some less remarkable strains, but they also have some outstanding genetics.

I haven't tried them all, but those I can vouch for are Blueberry, Skywalker, Super Haze and Power Plant. If you think any of those strains are 'crap', please explain to me in detail why.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

DP fem BB clone.

my fem DP BB is more sativa than this pic. stretched like a bugger as well and foxtails later in flowering which may be avoidable if i get her nutes just right. i ran her indoors recently and let her go for 10 weeks. I was very happy when my wife walked into the room where i was jarring the buds and said that it smelt of blueberries! :woohoo:

i have never known stronger smelling weed than this. even in jars the smell escapes and is noticable in the room. the smell is too strong to get blueberries when you put your nose in the jar - you need to kind of smell it from a distance.

I grew out 8 of 10 of the DP blueberry (tried getting Dj's but couldn't). Not a single keeper. 2 runts, 2 severe mutants, 2 females that hermied and 1 male. The vigor was great, smell was great, potency was good.... tasted like skunk and low yield.

I was tempted to keep the male...but figured it was pointless to try and make back ups with this stock.

I know this strain is known for this type of behavior...but WOW...not what i was expecting at all.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wonder if the nutrient regime makes a difference - i grow organic soil and had no problems - how about everyone else?

p.s. cheeseman those buds look great - pretty similar to mine but possibly your buds are a little more dense.did yours look more indica or sativa in veg?

i am going to try and reduce the nitrogen in my flowering mix next time, basically treat it like a sativa dominant because that is how it behaves.

THC123

Veteran
My BB from dp also went well.

Very nice smell and taste , but not really a couchlock indica effect.(this is what i am looking for)

Goyakla

I have grown and smoked both.. it ALL depends on the pheno.. not who sells them imo.. I had a fantastic purpel BB outside from DP... maaaan she was goooood.. but VERY indica...and I let her go untill late oct.. but every one should know that there freak seeds among most BB also B. Moonshine ..but i like both (DP and DJ)

Latest posts

Latest posts