What's new

Is there a best place to get White Widow?

trueblu8

I noticed that there are several different seed vendors online that offer the infamous White Widow. Is one better, or more reputable than another, or are they all pretty much the same?

Last edited:

b8man

Veteran
I believe Black Widow from Mr Nice seeds is the most reputable version of White Widow currently available. They're very reliable and professional breeders.

But then it's a strain which has been around a while - so i'm sure the are other cheaper versions out there which are pretty much the same. But not the dutch passion one - they were odd when I grew them out - not like a widow should have grown or tasted.

trueblu8

Omigosh said:
"Black Widow" Mr Nice seeds.
Can you tell me a little bit more? Is Black Widow better than White Widow? Btw, I am going to be growing this indoors. Thanks.

Last edited:

trueblu8

b8man said:
I believe Black Widow from Mr Nice seeds is the most reputable version of White Widow currently available. They're very reliable and professional breeders.

But then it's a strain which has been around a while - so i'm sure there are other cheaper versions out there which are pretty much the same. But not the dutch passion one - they were odd when I grew them out - not like a widow should have grown or tasted.
So Black Widow is actually White Widow under a different name? Wow. That's really odd that the Dutch Passion seeds didn't come out so good. I would have thought that they would've been one of the best since they are also one of the most expensive. And like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. That's why I was afraid to buy them from Nirvana since they are so cheap there. But many people say they are good. Wasn't it GHSC that was the original supplier/breeder of the White Widow?

Skywalker from Dutch Passion. You know anything about that one?

Last edited:

Care Free 1

Veteran
As with other Shantibaba releases, the Black Widow can be very stretchy, and get 8 feet tall easy, and appears to be sativa dominant. I had some reach over 10 feet, so be aware, unless something has changed recently???

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
trueblu8 said:
So Black Widow is actually White Widow under a different name? Wow.

Just shows what a paradox the world is, doesn't it?

The White Widow was bred by a legendary breeder called Shantibaba (he now co-runs a seedbank called Mr. Nice, and you can occasionally come across him here at IC's helpdesk) in the early 90's.

It's a knockout plant with a skunky feel to it, and the trichome production is outstanding. It swept all the Amstderdam coffeeshops by storm, became THE hyped up talk of the town plant, and won the High Times Cup in 1995.

Because of its success, and copyright issues, other breeders started putting out their "White Widow" versions, which are either knock-offs or crosses which cash in on the name, and now 'any' White Widow is easy to find in just about any seedbank.

Shantibaba still sells the original WW, and decided to re-name it Black Widow, to make it stand out from the copies. His name is a quality guarantee, so even if most people haven't smoked the Black Widow, they know they can safely recommend the BW.

I have smoked the Black Widow (or rather, a White Widow said to be the Black Widow, lol), and it was a really good White Widow. I've grown and still grow Dutch Passion's WW copy, and it's a great Widow as well. I've also grown Nirvana's WW, and come to think of it, I should have kept that plant. As with Japanese cameras and cars, they sometimes outdo the originals.

Mind you though, personally I've always preferred WW's sister plant the Misty over the WW. She's got less character in smell and looks, but the high is more energetic and creative, while the WW high is more numbing, and she can tip the scale in yield over WW (depending on pheno).

Last edited:

trueblu8

Wow. Now that's what I call a wealth of information. I think I almost got sensory overload there, lol. But seriously, fascinating stuff, and background story. That's pretty cool that Shantibaba frequents this forum occasionally. It really says something about the place then as being one of the premier sites around. This is something that I have been trying to figure out lately, what are the best mj sites out there to be a member of.

Hey after reading your post again, I am still a little confused. So which is the best place to get the WW from, Mr. Nice, or Nirvana? And is the WW from GHSC not as good?

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it were me, I would grow out and find the best I could out of Shantibabba's BW.
Use that as your control, then grow out others and compare. Or just be happy that you have some genetics from the originator of the strain.

KDee211 said:
greenhouse seeds, white widow.

Dont get greenhouse seeds white widow

like previously stated, get Mr. Nice's Black Widow since its the original white widow which greenhouse seeds has tried to recreate

What about the fabled Aloha 98 White Widow that is much revered as the very best, and is their current gear even close to it?

trueblu8

KDee211 said:
greenhouse seeds, white widow.
I'm glad someone mentioned them because I was wondering about greenhouse myself.

overmind1632 said:
Dont get greenhouse seeds white widow, like previously stated, get Mr. Nice's Black Widow since its the original white widow which greenhouse seeds has tried to recreate.
Interesting point there, because someone who didn't know any better like myself, probably would have thought that greenhouse would of had the best White Widow with all their cannabis cups, and stuff. But now that new light's been shed on the situation it appears that they don't. It looks like Black Widow, the original White Widow bred by Shantibaba at Mr. Nice is the overwhelming winner. Just look at all the supporters in the previous posts. That has to mean something.

Last edited:

lemonskunk420

ICMag Donor
I would stay clear of green house myself(from all the bad info ive got about there wares),And alot of peeps say they won so many times because they buy the cup.Just a little info ive picked up along the way,peace