What's new

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

i have a nice hatchet, it a eastwick
i know its nice because is beat the heck out of it and it just keeps doing its job

hey man stop by the nfl thread!
lots of clown school grads there brother!
Though steel shaft and rubber-covered handle, they make a good product, whether a camp axe or a hatchet. I think they make 3 or 4 sizes in all. Solid equipment.

A former friend was at the base of the Bonnefield Trail going uphill and south out of McCalaugh Creek in the Interior bush and found a smaller camp axe (like a Hudson Bay axe) made by them that someone had obviously lost off of their freight sled.

SCORE!!!!
1716001649895.png

Last edited:

moose eater

1972 jail music. In a good way. Not the jail, but in a Dobie Gray sort of way. But that's a long story posted elsewhere.

I'm off to re-sample that joint of Ghost Train Haze #1 I rolled last night. I found it to be -quite- effective.

--------------------------------

moose eater

My now-deceased sister brought me this album in about 1973 when I was being held in a minimum-security facility for 8-1/2 months. It had a hand-written note on a separate piece of paper tucked inside the album cover, regarding a friend from Edinboro, Pa., who was going to drive his Camaro down, put a rag over the plate, and pick me up as I walked to the infirmary, then planning to take me to Canada..

Probably best for all of us that the plan never came to fruition. :)

Dime

Buck makes a pretty nice axe that will last a lifetime, I'm a fan of their knives,they stay sharp and are solid.I have a folding buck, an 8 inch blade schrade ,and a folding uncle henry knife that are all really old,the uncle henry I have never used, .I bought my nephew and son a buck for their first knives . I think uncle henry is made by schrade.

moose eater

Buck makes a pretty nice axe that will last a lifetime, I'm a fan of their knives,they stay sharp and are solid.I have a folding buck, an 8 inch blade schrade ,and a folding uncle henry knife that are all really old,the uncle henry I have never used, .I bought my nephew and son a buck for their first knives .
I've got an older Buck sheath knife I've had for years and a newer generation of their polymer-scale folding 4" knife. The second being their cheaper line.

They make a really hard stainless-steel blade, and it takes an -eon- to put a razor's edge on it, but once to that sharpness, like surgical skinning sharpness, truly razor sharp, if a person has the patience to get it to that kind of an edge, it holds it a while.

When I hunt moose, I carry a roll with 7 or 8 sharp knives in the roll, but they're mostly very soft steel that sharpens quickly. And on a whole moose, field dressing and skinning, you can dull most of them, and sharpen a couple while still working on the critter.

They are selling the classic 4" Buck folding knives with sheaths that are converted to push button spring knives (switchblades), but from what I've read, the conversion quality has gone down a bit.

Most of my better switchblades, more or less modest collectibles, 2 here with European stag scales and one with custom engraving on the back spring, one swing-guard and one classic stiletto, both 11" overall, are Frankie B (Beltrame) out of Italy from years ago, with custom work by an old fellow in Kentucky who may or may not be still with us...

This is his site here. 'Arlin 'Slo Joe' Walker.

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Last edited:

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
I've got an older Buck sheath knife I've had for years and a newer generation of their polymer-scale folding 4" knife. The second being their cheaper line.

They make a really hard stainless-steel blade, and it takes an -eon- to put a razor's edge on it, but once to that sharpness, like surgical skinning sharpness, truly razor sharp, if a person has the patience to get it to that kind of an edge, it holds it a while.

They are selling the classic 4" Buck folding knives with sheaths that are converted to push button spring knives (switchblades), but from what I've read, the conversion quality has gone down a bit.

Most of my better switchblades, more or less modest collectibles, 2 here with European stag scales and one with custom engraving on the back spring, one swing-guard and one classic stiletto, both 11" overall, are Frankie B (Beltrame) out of Italy from years ago, with custom work by an old fellow in Kentucky who's likely no longer with us..

View attachment 19004296

View attachment 19004310

All I worry about my knife is stiffness

moose eater

All I worry about my knife is stiffness
A nice narrow boning knife to get in under a moose's scapula on the front shoulder works well if it has a narrow and short blade with some flex to it for carving around the cartilage and bone in that joint, as well as the cartilage at the ball socket in the hind quarter hip joint. Same for a fillet knife for fish where some flex is nice.

Otherwise, the stiffer the knife's blade, the safer it is, especially if a person is putting some pressure on it.

The only knives I have with scabbards/sheaths are the fixed hunting knives, some hand-made, and some store-bought knives and scabbards.

One very sharp, hand-made softer steel hunting knife has a curved 5" (or so) blade, rosewood scales and walrus ivory plugs over the rivets. A very soft blade on that knife, but it sharpens fairly quickly to a razor's edge. And the full-on curved blade helps a lot in skinning a larger animal.

Last edited: