What's new

Relic’ing guitars

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
found a used 2019 epiphone that had the bits i was looking for:
gibson 57 pups, coil-splitting, phase-inverse (for the theoretical Greeny sound)…
but in a color i wasn’t- ocean blue.

the blue was already fading a bit, made more obvious when the pickguard and pokerchip were removed.
decided to try and finish the fade job by exposing it to direct window sunlight.
Here are the changes over the past five weeks. Used a halogen lamp to put a little burn below the bridge pup.
i’ll keep it going for a bit longer.
inspiration for this project was Greeny.
btw, search reverb.com to see how expensive (and how many) Greeny copies/homages are there.
anybody else messed with relic’ing?

IMG_9555.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg
IMG_1374.jpeg
IMG_1512.jpeg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
found a used 2019 epiphone that had the bits i was looking for:
gibson 57 pups, coil-splitting, phase-inverse (for the theoretical Greeny sound)…
but in a color i wasn’t- ocean blue.

the blue was already fading a bit, made more obvious when the pickguard and pokerchip were removed.
decided to try and finish the fade job by exposing it to direct window sunlight.
Here are the changes over the past five weeks. Used a halogen lamp to put a little burn below the bridge pup.
i’ll keep it going for a bit longer.
inspiration for this project was Greeny.
btw, search reverb.com to see how expensive (and how many) Greeny copies/homages are there.
anybody else messed with relic’ing?

View attachment 18997051 View attachment 18997052 View attachment 18997053 View attachment 18997054
Those are pretty friend. Thanks for sharing your work.

imiubu

They are lovely for sure.
I know nothing of guitars nor the term relic'ing.
However, I am very interested to follow along on such a project.
I do remember who Peter Green is though :)

Thanks for sharing.

Sanjuro

You can use vinegar fumes to relic nickel parts. It won’t work on chrome. internet will tell you more

But basically it goes like this.

1 scrub the nickel parts lightly with fine steel wool

2 wash your hands and wipe the parts with some sort of degreaser

3 Hang the part in an air tight container where you have 2-3 dl of strong vinegar, a see-thru kind is better so you don’t have to open the container to check the results. Don’t immerse the parts into the vinegar itself, the relicing is done by the fumes

Last edited: